ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keeper 182 Project

scash88

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Little while since I have updated but managed to find a perfect condition climate control unit for £20 delivered

All fitted so just need to be careful with the buttons to keep them from getting worse!

Also bought some spacers - 18mm front and 5mm rear which are now fitted

In truth, I think the rear could do with a little more so will probably end up with stub axle spacers at some stage. Am I likely to end up having issues with the rear wheel bearings when removing the discs as these were brand new a year ago..?

I am having some issues with the front arch clearance below on the lip of the bumper. Any tips or is the answer to simply raise the car / live with it?

Also feel like the front could benefit from a tad more camber, currently measured at -2.4 across the front. What's the general consensus on this?
A friend has suggested staying below 3 degrees as at that stage he sees excessive wear. Its purely an aesthetic decision as the car drives really well still..

Going to give it a little love this weekend in anycase as I havent been using much given the lack of air con!

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Am I likely to end up having issues with the rear wheel bearings when removing the discs as these were brand new a year ago..?

Assuming the rear discs are genuine Renault, the bearings are built in.

With regards to handling/ride/setup, Renault Sport tuned them so they were Road compliant and progressive when pushing on.

As soon as you start messing with springs, spacers, bushes etc you’re naturally going to be fighting with it, unless you spend on a good set of coilovers and set up everything correctly. Even tyres make huge differences on these cars.

But I guess you’ll already know that having them before.

scash88

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Assuming the rear discs are genuine Renault, the bearings are built in.

With regards to handling/ride/setup, Renault Sport tuned them so they were Road compliant and progressive when pushing on.

As soon as you start messing with springs, spacers, bushes etc you’re naturally going to be fighting with it, unless you spend on a good set of coilovers and set up everything correctly. Even tyres make huge differences on these cars.

But I guess you’ll already know that having them before.
In truth I find my BC’s just as compliant as the OE suspension with Eibach springs but then that may be the slightly softer 5kg & 8kg road bias spring rate I went for…

It’ll be going for another alignment soon in anycase to bring back to spec 👍

Re the bearings I removed a disc off of a spare beam and understand they are pressed into the disc? Had a nightmare many years ago so am keen to avoid any further issues!

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
In truth I find my BC’s just as compliant as the OE suspension with Eibach springs but then that may be the slightly softer 5kg & 8kg road bias spring rate I went for…

It’ll be going for another alignment soon in anycase to bring back to spec 👍

Re the bearings I removed a disc off of a spare beam and understand they are pressed into the disc? Had a nightmare many years ago so am keen to avoid any further issues!
Yeah genuine ones are pressed into the disc. There might be some 3rd party variants like that as well but I’ve only ever fitted genuine on the rear.

Ah my bad reference the coilovers. I wasn’t aware you had BC’s installed. Apologies 😊

scash88

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Yeah genuine ones are pressed into the disc. There might be some 3rd party variants like that as well but I’ve only ever fitted genuine on the rear.

Ah my bad reference the coilovers. I wasn’t aware you had BC’s installed. Apologies 😊
Not to worry! As you rightly said I’m very much down the rabbit hole in making it all work together now though!

Hopefully with all the right bits I can build some compliance into it as my days of crashy setups are long gone!

scash88

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Something I have wanted to do for a while was to address the driving position and find a decent set of bucket seats
Just so happened that I saw J3_sgy on IG selling his Corbeau Clubsports which are my favourite seats alongside pole positions and had to go for it

To say they are mint would be an understatement so super happy with them & set about replacing the armchairs
Once the front seats were removed I took the opportunity to wet vac the carpets

Glad I did due to the amount of crap that came out of them

With everything smelling fresher I built up the side mounts onto new Jon Foz X Low subframes

And quickly realised I needed to shorten a floor vent in order for them to sit flat in the car

After that it was relatively straightforward and got them both in

https://flic.kr/p/2oMYWog

https://flic.kr/p/2oN13Yu

Massively happy with the new driving position, if anything I'm angry I didn't buy some sooner as now the standard driving position seems unacceptable!

Still a couple of things I need to figure to complete the job
Seatbelt buckles - On the way Thanks John :)
Resistors for the airbag light / Find someone local with Clip...? Alternatively book in with Alex @ AW Motorworks over winter
Lowering the steering wheel slightly - Does anyone have any links to bolts/spacers they used? Alternatively the Wheeler Motorsport kit..

Thanks for reading

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Seatbelt buckles - On the way Thanks John :)
Resistors for the airbag light / Find someone local with Clip...? Alternatively book in with Alex @ AW Motorworks over winter
Lowering the steering wheel slightly - Does anyone have any links to bolts/spacers they used? Alternatively the Wheeler Motorsport kit..

Thanks for reading
They look so cool. @frayz lowered his steering I think?

I got my airbags clipped out.

Has J3_sgy put the originals back in? I follow him but he doesn't post as often as he used to.

scash88

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
The steering position isn't awful, but as I'm 5ft8 I could do with the position being lowered by an inch which would be perfect!
J3_sgy has something in the works, I wont ruin anything but its going to be seriously cool (y)

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I lowered my steering column (it’s somewhere in my old thread) and it makes a massive difference. Lowered column, small wheel, low subframes, PMS shifter and pole positions really change the driving position for the better. The only thing that frustrates me with the Clio at that point is the pedals are slightly offset as the whole seating position, pedals and wheel are not square.

scash88

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I lowered my steering column (it’s somewhere in my old thread) and it makes a massive difference. Lowered column, small wheel, low subframes, PMS shifter and pole positions really change the driving position for the better. The only thing that frustrates me with the Clio at that point is the pedals are slightly offset as the whole seating position, pedals and wheel are not square.
Thanks (y)
I'll have a nose around for some M8 8mm standoffs and give it a go!
Probably measure the standard bolt length and account for the above though or is there enough to play with the standard bolts?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Thanks (y)
I'll have a nose around for some M8 8mm standoffs and give it a go!
Probably measure the standard bolt length and account for the above though or is there enough to play with the standard bolts?
There is plenty to play with iirc. You have to bend the locking tabs down to allow for the drop. But it’s simple if not fiddly to do. Worth it though

scash88

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Small update,
I decided that with the addition of the Clubsports above & considering that the seats are solidly mounted it renders the rear seats useless.
Even throwing a coat onto the rear seat is hard work to retrieve so I decided to commit to the 'Clubsport' route and remove the rear seats all together

In my mind, the rear seats have never and would never be used, and the idea of a 2 seat Clio with the practicality of a boot closer to that of a 5 series is much more useful to me, not to mention any weight saving.
I think I remember reading the rear bench, ISOFIX bar, belts etc nears onto another 15-20KG?

In anycase, I didn't like the exposed metal from the rear seat so quickly sourced some carpet from work and made a boot mat to fit

Still some tweaking to be done but overall happy with how much tidier everything is back there.

I've got some longer M8 bolts and 8mm spacers on order so hopefully will be able to drop the steering wheel height enough to get it where it needs to be

And just when I though I can go enjoy the car I noticed a noise from the NSR when moving slowly to a stop which seems to be the rear wheel bearing
These were new approx. 1500-2000 miles ago when the recommissioning work was done at KTEC... Is this normal or just unlucky?

Been looking round as the discs were also brand new and have found a Febi Bilstein bearing from Autodoc.
Anyone used this one before? Measurements I believe look all correct and at £12.70 I cant complain for the price..

Thanks for reading!

chazza114

ClioSport Club Member
Small update,
I decided that with the addition of the Clubsports above & considering that the seats are solidly mounted it renders the rear seats useless.
Even throwing a coat onto the rear seat is hard work to retrieve so I decided to commit to the 'Clubsport' route and remove the rear seats all together
Looks good, I went down the Clubsport route too and ended up fitting a @CFAB Clubsport bar and net in the back of mine! Stops the shopping going everywhere on the drive home :LOL:

IMG_6714.jpeg

scash88

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Small update
The Clio hasn't been seeing much use of late, partly down to, work & holidays & partly needing to sell the 911 for something more practical for our upcoming arrival 👶
Always been a fan of the 'do everything' ability of a Golf so decided on a MK7.5 Golf R

Overall super impressed, but the Clio's space is safe & will not be going anywhere!

Also been reluctant to drive the Clio until I can get to the root cause of a noise Ive been hearing. At very low speed (sub 10mph) under braking im getting a rotational 'knock' from the rear. A quick look says both rear wheel bearings are ok, and no noise when driving along at any speed if off the brakes so hopefully ok there.
Discs and pads have done sub 1500 miles and no obvious signs of scored discs etc.
However, when removing the rear slip on spacers, I did notice the OSR caliper was binding preventing the wheel from spinning freely when in the air so suspect it needs a rear caliper..?
Any recommendation as to where & what brand? Assuming there is nothing else to check before pulling the trigger on it?

To cheer myself up I decided to polish the headlights as it was that time of year again. Got myself a free Holts headlight restoration kit below so thought Id give it a go

Got bored with using the drill so decided to attach the sandpaper & polishing pad to my DA and overall pleased with the results despite covering the car in polish residue. Will give me a good excuse to give it a scrub over the weekend in any case!

Thanks for reading

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I bought Febi units for mine and they're spot on.

Part numbers for the OSR are - 7711135714 (exchange) or 7701204847 (non-exchange) but NLA unfortunately.

There are some Febi ones on Autodoc amongst other brands, but I can only speak for what I've used.

Autodoc never supplied mine, they came from a local motor factors (DMFX) in Darlington.

54901EE3-3EB6-40FF-B954-B9D826C13949.jpeg