ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

KW Coilovers Variant 2 - knocking, groans and binding

205 GTI, Clio 182
Hi guys,

I've installed some KW Coilovers Variant 2 a couple of weeks ago. I am using Pure Motorsport top mounts. The rear is on the lowest height setting, and the front is on a fairly moderate height. I am yet to set them up properly - it was more to make sure I wasn't rubbing. I wanted to leave them on a couple of weeks so they settled.

Unfortunately I have some knocking and spring tension/binding when going over bumps and low speed turning (in carparks for instance). What are the first things I should be checking when I jack it up? How best to avoid the spring binding?

Golf GTD Mk7
is that front or rear? Fitted correctly?

I would never set coilovers to their extremes at either end of the range to be honest.

205 GTI, Clio 182
is that front or rear? Fitted correctly?

I would never set coilovers to their extremes at either end of the range to be honest.
Front noise. Rears do seem to be "clunking" for lack of a better word. I think they could be too low - will adjust them to middle and see if that solves that.

It's the fronts that are concerning me. It just feels like there's something out of place somewhere. I am wondering if my helper spring is not tightened correctly so that when the spring is fully extended (say over a pothole or something) it is free to move around. On smooth roads the car feels great.

Golf GTD Mk7
Maybe try softening the fronts up to see if the damper settings are causing the issue. Definately increase that rear height though, these systems are designed to move adsorb bumps ;)

205 GTI, Clio 182
Maybe try softening the fronts up to see if the damper settings are causing the issue. Definately increase that rear height though, these systems are designed to move adsorb bumps ;)
Already tried a range of different damping settings. Running full soft on front and mediumish at rear. Will increase the rear height tomorrow and see how it helps

205 GTI, Clio 182
Track rods, track rod ends, ball joints?
That's what I thought it could be, but I had a look today and I couldn't see any damage or play. How much movement are we talking, that could generate a knock? 1mm? Is there a good way to diagnose the track rods, ends and ball joints? Like a technique?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Could possibly be the bottom ball joints at the wishbone. I run revalved v2's and even when they were new I found the rear clunks/knocks. Can you take a picture of how the fronts are built up? Would be easier to see if they're fitted right as well.

205 GTI, Clio 182
Hey guys,

So I still have this clunking. It happens over potholes when the strut is fully extended. I also have a weird click/grind that occurs when you pitch the car into a right hand corner and the weight shifts left. It's almost like the engine clicks into place. I am getting tired of it, and I have no idea what to do.

What I have tried:

- Tightening top mounts
- Tightening strut bolt
- Raising coilover height
- Replace wishbones and ball joint (entire unit)
- Made sure everything is tight.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Clicking could be a CV joint on the drive shaft and the clunking could also be a drive shaft as random knocks have been put down to drive shafts in the past.

205 GTI, Clio 182
Clicking could be a CV joint on the drive shaft and the clunking could also be a drive shaft as random knocks have been put down to drive shafts in the past.
Hmm okay. Is there anyway to diagnose that? How do people normally diagnose things like this? My driveshaft is kinda had it anyway (accidentally split a inner cv seal and it's leaking a little now). Where on the driveshaft would it be knocking? Would there be any signs of metal on metal or marks?

205 GTI, Clio 182
UPDATE:

Turned out to be my control arm nutswere incorrectly torqued. They have 2 nuts, and I think I may have overtightened one, causing the other one to undo itself. Apparently it was quite difficult to find with the car on a lift.