ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

KwikFit said I couldn't weld my cat converter.

Mk2 172
Went to KwikFit today, and was told a new cat converter would be £609.

When I mentioned welding it, they said it couldn't be done, because it is some sort of alloy, and a welder would just blow holes in it.

Are they telling porkies?

The weld into the cat is splitting. Would have thought I could just re-weld it.
I don't think it is caused by corrosion, ,because it started shorrtly after I had to drive over a kerb to get out of a locked car park.

Renault clio 1.2 RT
i am a kwik fit fitter :p fort ide tell yas and its 50/50 about welding it is so easy to blow holes in things and cats r made of diff stuff to the other pipes and boxes the reason is most probly if they did weld it and f**k it up its going aginst us gettin u a new 1 and we r payin out £609 its not company policy to weld stuff so ur better findin a diff garage or sumthink tbh

VW ....
had a m8 that had a split in his & managed to get it welded .

prob as harvey says .... they didnt wanna have a go incase they fooked it well & propper .

172cup
i had mine welded, not at kwik-fit, but at local garage.

Had it in a reno a while later, and they were very impressed with the queslity of weld they'd done.

Cost me 20quid instead of fook knows how much for a new cat.

harvey2k6clio1.2 said:
i am a kwik fit fitter :p fort ide tell yas and its 50/50 about welding it is so easy to blow holes in things and cats r made of diff stuff to the other pipes and boxes the reason is most probly if they did weld it and f**k it up its going aginst us gettin u a new 1 and we r payin out £609 its not company policy to weld stuff so ur better findin a diff garage or sumthink tbh

well done.. you just proved to everyone the IQ level of the kwik fit ''mechanics''.

Unable to string a sentence together in English.

Well done, you have just made a massive assumption based on his typing.

Most dyslexic people I know are highly intelligent yet can't write properly so get off your high horse!

I'm fairly certain there's a difference between dyslexia (spelling?) and being lazy typing in 'txt'

If not, then there's a hell of a lot of dyslexic people on here and other forums.

Think its pretty harsh you calling Harvey dyslexic personally, if he isnt he may take serious offence to that.

:D

Mk2 172
KwikFit wouldn't make any money on welding it.
I was gonna get a neighbour to weld it.

Your answers have been helpfull.
I shall ask my neighbour tomorrow.
Elliot.

Decat it - You know it makes sense!

Guy - You made the assumption again! - all I said was that I knew of people who couldn't type and suffered from Dyslexia, nowhere did I suggest that the poster had such condition. :S

Last edited:
  Mk2 172
Harvey,

You are a brave man for admitting you work for KwikFit.
I can tell that you are not dyslexic.....just either a lazy typist, or typing while eating/drinking/chatting and a little distracted....and still the first one to answer.

If it is blown up while welding, then I will get a K-tec SportsCat for £335, rather than a Renault-original-gold-coated one for £609.

My engine's done 55k, so i doubt it would pass emissions with a decat.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
GuyS said:
well done.. you just proved to everyone the IQ level of the kwik fit ''mechanics''.

Dey not michanics , dey tire fitters , dey fits tires n welds toobs n stuff unda ur car , dey also fits breaks ;)

But dey isnt no michanics i fink !

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
GuyS said:

Your right Guys .

Some of the spelling on here is unbelievable , and these people are the future of our country :eek:

Best one is when somebody has brought something , like when they bruy something off ebay ,lol ;)

Mk2 172
Mr Billy "UK",
"Your right Guys ." is not GCSE level English.
Please stop hijacking my thread.
Unless you have any comments on welding catalytic converters, cease typing.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Take it to a decent garage then where they speak English , any back street garage that does welding .

Why people go to Kwik fit and pay extorionate prices is beyond me .

Try www.yell.com

Audi Q7, Avalanche
I agree that 'txt language' can be a total ballacher to read and actually takes way more effort to read than standard english so it kind of defeats the object of being faster to write, as it takes twice as long to decipher! haha but at the end of the day, if he gets the information required across to the person whos requesting it, wheres the harm? no need to create a mountain out of a mole hill!

anyway, on topic, ask Ozzy if hes still running the K-tec stealth group buy, as im sure they are offering a discount of 15% on the sports cat, hope all goes well!

VaVa
Why is dyslexia so f**king hard to spell? And why is abbreviation such a long word?

Lets face it.... the English language is rubbish. Lng liv txt spk. lol. ;)

Back on topic - An experienced welder (it's all about the amps you see!!) will be able to weld your cat no problemo.

I wouldn't let a Kwik Fit 'fitter' tie up my shoes.

tiTTy & SV650
welding is a skill, a bit of practise and its not too difficult to do nice clean welds. My mates dad recently welded up my mates Jeep Wrangler Cylinder head!!! lol saved him some crazy amount of money.

My colleague at work is a good welder too, he's a motorcycle mechanic but is dab hand with a MIG. I'm utter shight at welding, Oxy-Acetylene i.e. brazing steel aint too hard but I struggle with arc cause of the bloody masks, cant see fook all!!! lol

Mk2 172
I went on a welding course for 12 evenings at my local college (oxy and mig), which was good fun. Excellent way to chill out and relax.

I have resisted buying a mig welder, as the house would fill up with lots of dire things that I made, "because they were a good idea"...

You can get polarising light sensitive masks, and (so i have been told) a marker pen which burns just before the weld so as you can see where you should be going.

tiTTy & SV650
we just bought a second hand MIG at work for £100 from Indespension the trailer folks next door, make some stuff for the motocrosser and displays for products n things. I did a basic welding course in my first year at uni but need a lot of practice!