ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

lack of abs on 172 cup

172 cup

Firstly id like to say hi as im brand new on this forum.

Im looking at getting a 172 cup within the next 3 or 4 weeks and wanted to know if the lack of abs is as big a problem as people make it out to be. Ive decided against getting a standard 172 with the toys and abs as i like the look of the cup better and im really after something thatll be maximum fun to drive. Im slightly worried about the apparent number of people who seem to crash cups and wondered if this was in fact due to not having abs, or rather people pushing it too far and ending up writing their cars off?

Cheers.

youll find its the latter, ABS helps but its no miracle. drive according to the conditions and youll be fine.

welcome to the club btw

a lack of abs is not normally the reason cups get written off but there are a few people who have had minor bumps where ABS may of prevented it.

you may find the search function brings up some interesting threads

Hi BTW

172 cup

Another thing. This may sound like a silly question but do 172 cups come with an alarm fitted as standard? Ive tried a search on this site but havent really found anything.

Cheers.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

172 cups have the alarm in them as standard, usually ultrasonics...I think if it is imported then it could be a problem, (I know that imported 172/182s dont come with the standard Renault alarm).

AFAIK a 172 Cup can not be imported as they were badged as "Ragnottis" over in Europe so they all come as UK spec and are not imports.

Tim

Octavia VRS

Quote: Originally posted by Tim010 on 23 January 2005

AFAIK a 172 Cup can not be imported as they were badged as "Ragnottis" over in Europe so they all come as UK spec and are not imports.

Tim
yeh thats right - the UK version is the Cup

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Well, with a fast car you tend to drive it quick and brake later.

My abs on my vts isnt working at the moment and even though Ive driven more cautiously, theres been times where I can feel the car skidding slightly under braking and it generally feels more unstable.

That said, I was used to abs and now miss it. If youve never had it, youd never miss Id say as youve never learned to trust it and hence have a different style of braking to those who do have it.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

mate go for the normal 172, im debating trading my cup for the 182 simply because i want abs, with the english weather which is sunny for 1 month rain for the next 11 youd be wishing you had it and when tyres start to wear out more you start to feel as though the car wont stop so id get a 172 or 182 not much difference in terms of spped either

CUPs are sh*t;)

Is it really worth losing the air con/abs/lush leather Alcanterra intreior for the very few extra speed gains.

IMO no its not.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 23 January 2005

CUPs are sh*t;)

Is it really worth losing the air con/abs/lush leather Alcanterra intreior for the very few extra speed gains.

IMO no its not.
not now its not, best colour though;)

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 22 January 2005

youll find its the latter, ABS helps but its no miracle. drive according to the conditions and youll be fine.

welcome to the club btw
Yup not having ABS isnt a problem if you drive within the limits of the conditions.

Hello and Welcome.

ST

CUPs are sh*t;)

IMO no its not.
Agreed!

CUPs are sh*t;)Is it really worth losing the air con/abs/lush leather Alcanterra intreior for the very few extra speed gains.IMO no its not.

YES!!

Do you want a hardcore driving machine, where it is you, the car and the road, or do you want a car that is slower, and has lots of fancy toys that take the skill and feeling out of driving.

That is one of the main reasons why i have and would stick with a mk1 clio, or at the most a cup

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

Quote: Originally posted by 16vClio on 23 January 2005

CUPs are sh*t;)

IMO no its not.
Agreed!
would still whip you 172 boys arses though

Quote: Originally posted by Lunner on 23 January 2005

CUPs are sh*t;)

IMO no its not.

YES!!

Do you want a hardcore driving machine, where it is you, the car and the road, or do you want a car that is slower, and has lots of fancy toys that take the skill and feeling out of driving.

That is one of the main reasons why i have and would stick with a mk1 clio, or at the most a cup
PMSL! Comedy genius at its best!

ST

Quote: Originally posted by lozza_cup on 23 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by 16vClio on 23 January 2005

CUPs are sh*t;)

IMO no its not.
Agreed!
would still whip you 172 boys arses though

I dont even drive a 172 though i have been in a few, only a 1.2 16v :oops:, but when i do change next year itll deffo be a 172, cups are cool, but the 172 has all the toys, and in everyday driving the extra quickness of the cup doesnt really go for much IMO.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

just jesting mate, have to agree though ABS is a neccesaty(cant spell) in this country, if you drive hard in the wet well you wont be able to stop thats for sure,

H22A7 Accord Type R

^^poof! How old are you??yer only young once lol

[Edited by R3OBC on 23 January 2005 at 3:35pm]

FAO ALAN

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

who me? ive crashed the car once and that werent even driving fast, anyone that says your a poof for wanting ABS lets see you keep a cup in check in the rain

Clio 200 Cup

Is it not just a case of learning the limits of the cups braking system? Ive been serverely put off getting one by this thread and think ill for for a mk1 172 now. I thought that maybe taking it to a quiet / private road and extensively testing and learning the braking capabilities could solve problems, but I guess if you have to brake suddenly and sharply, all skill goes out the window and panic stations set in. Cant believe the number of cups that have crashed this winter alone!

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

yeah its all very well practicing braking privately etc but YOU know when your gonna brake, in the real world you never know whats coming round the corner or who will step out in front or if the car in front will suddenly brake

who me? ive crashed the car once and that werent even driving fast, anyone that says your a poof for wanting ABS lets see you keep a cup in check in the rain

Give mke your cup them........

....im 19, been driving for 2 years and in the scheme of things im, a sh*t driver, but i drive a 1.8 RSi with no ABS, not a single problem in the wet, yes i know it isnt as fast as a 172, but same sort of thing.

If you have a car wiht ABS and it cuts in on a regular basis then you are driving it completley wrong, ABS is there iscase you need to stop suddently to avoiud an accident, NOT to assist you in your everyday driving. If you are a good driver then you should never have to use abs in normal day to day drving.

When its wet and slippy slow down and take it easy end of!

Clio 200 Cup

All well and good saying that but part of "normal day to day driving" is avoiding the many idiots on the road and by and large emergency braking is required fairly often

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

ok put it this way mate there i am driving along on my normal everyday route to and from work, spot traffic up ahead im doing 40mph and start braking applying more pressure as you do then the car just locks up lift off then brake again still no joy bang straight into the back of the poor guys car, now if i had ABS i would have stopped easily, yeah agreed its a driver aid but isnt it nice to have piece of mind??!!! coupled to sh*t conti tyres and powerful brakes the cup is defo a twitchy car in the wet, feel free to take my car for a spin mate when its raining and there is grease oil and mud all over the roads

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

Quote: Originally posted by stevoversteer on 23 January 2005

All well and good saying that but part of "normal day to day driving" is avoiding the many idiots on the road and by and large emergency braking is required fairly often
agreed and the idiots on the roads that arent paying attention to whats up ahead:oops: ooppps thats me

Quote: Originally posted by stevoversteer on 23 January 2005All well and good saying that but part of "normal day to day driving" is avoiding the many idiots on the road and by and large emergency braking is required fairly often[/QUOTE]agreed and the idiots on the roads that arent paying attention to whats up ahead:oops: ooppps thats me

Hence your apparently reliance on ABS? ;-)

H22A7 Accord Type R

Not you, 16v CLio lol!!! Persoannly, i know i need ABS, i stuffed the works van because i couldnt make myself lift off the brake pedal!! In the real situation, im happy to have some electrics pump the brakes coz my mind and physical abilities cannot do it as well as that Bosch unit can!!

Rob.

The cup sorts the men from the boys! ;) If your not confident enough or dont trust yourself not to crash it then dont buy it. Stick to your 1.2 or normal 172, not really that much difference in performance anyways :D So u gonna be a man or a mouse??? lol

H22A7 Accord Type R

if ya want to get the best of both worlds tho, get the 182 cup as its the pick of the litter from what i have read :cool:

Quote: Originally posted by R3OBC on 23 January 2005
Not you, 16v CLio lol!!! Persoannly, i know i need ABS, i stuffed the works van because i couldnt make myself lift off the brake pedal!! In the real situation, im happy to have some electrics pump the brakes coz my mind and physical abilities cannot do it as well as that Bosch unit can!!Rob.

Rob will you please put some spaces in your avatar text, its thrtowing off the look of the forum

Clio 200 Cup

Natcup, have you had any moments or scary incidents with your brakes? Is it a case of really having to bury the brake pedal to enduce a lock up (because of the more progressive braking system on the cup), or can it just randomly bite under normal braking? Im definitely going to have to drive one and make my own mind up, it cant be that unpredictable?!

TBH mate, Ive had my cup 10 months and I cant remember ever locking the brakes and beleive me I do drive my car hard when the conditions, road etc suit. I know not to go crazy in the wet. I have had a few occasions where really hard braking was required and i can remember applying the brakes very heavily and waiting for the wheels to lock before i got to the roundabout but they never did.

The best thing to do is take and 172 and a Cup for a test drive and let the sales person know your concerns, then you can test both sets of brakes see what you think.

[Edited by natcup on 23 January 2005 at 4:15pm]

Quote: Originally posted by Lunner on 23 January 2005

CUPs are sh*t;)

IMO no its not.

YES!!

Do you want a hardcore driving machine, I have one and its a 2.0ltr Valver without abs or power steering, dont try to talk to me about hardcore where it is you the car and the road *rolls eyes* or do you want a car that is slower only if the driver of the 172 is sh*t, and has lots of fancy toys that take the skill and feeling out of driving.

That is one of the main reasons why i have and would stick with a mk1 clio, or at the most a cup *rolls eyes*

HAHAHA PMSL, what the f**k are you on about???

Hardcore driving machine??????:confused: HAHAHAHAHA. what like an RSi:p pmsl

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

Quote: Originally posted by R3OBC on 23 January 2005

Not you, 16v CLio lol!!! Persoannly, i know i need ABS, i stuffed the works van because i couldnt make myself lift off the brake pedal!! In the real situation, im happy to have some electrics pump the brakes coz my mind and physical abilities cannot do it as well as that Bosch unit can!!

Rob.
yeah have to agree with that mate, my coordination aint worth anything, hence the reliance of ABS

well ive just been for a thrash and you can do illegal speeds and stop quite happily without locking the wheels up.

think ive only managed to do it once. and in the wet simply dont drive like a nutter.