ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laptop Guru's - Bristol - Problem

My father had a problem with his laptop.

Its an Acer and its about 3 years old.

A mate of mine looked at it and put a new hard drive in it as the hd had failed.

All good, it then started to bring up a blue screen saying a problem with the physical memory. Then proceeding to dump it i think, the laptop then restarts.

In an ideal situation, a member could look at/fix it or recommend a place in the local area that he could take it to.

Just want some one you can trust , dont want him to have to buy a new laptop if he does not need to etc.

And i dont think its fair to keep pestering my mate.

Thanks in advance

Justin.

2001 Clio 1.2 16v
If you dont have any data on it i would use the Acer restore disks. It's prob easier to do that if you dont have any data on it, or if you have data on it copy it off.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
My father had a problem with his laptop, Its an Acer.

There's your problem.

Ordinarily I would just leave it at that but...

Worst case scenario your 'mate' did something like hit the ram with static or something.

More likely it just windows being windows.. try a re-install and see if your still having problem..

could be a ton of things though TBH.

Inferno 182 Cup
Hmm ok. Might be worth appproching a local pc repairer.
If the HDDs already gone and now its complaining about memory, id probably look into getting a new one... laptops tend to go wappy after 3-4 years!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Na, hard drives go that's normal (unfortunately)... it only takes a small amount of time to eliminate the obvious stuff..

Like, run a memtest etc. its not difficult as there are programs out there that will do it for you.. some BIOS's have a mem test built in aswell.

fulhamfcboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Laguna V6 and 19 16v
There's your problem.

Ordinarily I would just leave it at that but...

Worst case scenario your 'mate' did something like hit the ram with static or something.

More likely it just windows being windows.. try a re-install and see if your still having problem..

could be a ton of things though TBH.

Gotta love the Acer haters....I bought an Acer about 2 years ago, and its run like a dream ever since. For the money is was very well specced compared to rivals in the same price range.
I would agree with the static comments..... Having completed a Sun Microsystems M series hardware course a few weeks back I heard some great stories from the trainer of static damage fails....