ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leacing Sat Nav / Phone Holders on show?

Just wondered what people's thoughts were on this?

I have a Garmin Sat Nav with a suction holder that attaches it to the windscreen. When I park the car for any length of time I take off both the Sat Nav and the holder together and put it in the glove box. My thinking being that the holder being on show would make people think I have a sat nav and like most people have just put the device out of sight. This isn't too much hassle as I only use the SatNav on long journeys and the odd occasion I am going somewhere unknown.

I've just added an aux input to my Update-List radio and so am facing a similar issue with a holder to keep my mobile phone in a position where I can easily skip tracks. This holder would be in use pretty much every time I am in the car and thus I'd ideally not want to be continually faffing about with getting in in and out of the glove box and dealing with wiring issues etc when I just want to jump in the car. The trouble is the phone holder is gonna look like a satnav holder to the passing theif.

I already have an exo-mount suction device that I could place on the dash in front of the central LED display:
http://www.exogear.com/products-exomount-car-mount-holder.html

I'm also quite tempted by the brodit clips:
http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/proclip/Renault+Clio%20III-Brodit-Proclip.asp

I prefer the "angled mount" version since that doesn't seem to obstruct the air vents as much - although its lower positioning is a drawback, but then less noticeable for passing theives as firstly is it lower and secondly it blends in to the rest of the car much better.

Would be interested to know what other people do/suggest. I don't know what the figures are for sat nav motivated car break ins, especially if the sat nav isn't visible and just the holder. The area I live in has a high rate of student related vandalism, but wouldn't have guessed the car break in rate was high. Actually, I hear less and less about car break ins these days. 15 years ago I was always hearing about car radios getting nicked. Not so much these days.

Cheers