ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

leaking roof still on my 16v any ideas

well went to my renault dealer and he said it was definately my sunroof seal so i brought one at £230 fitted it myself and still after rain i get that dredfull musty smell and when i drive it i get wet from the interior light and that whole coloumn above

will be complaing to renault for bad advice

help me please

jaimie

19 16V

Mongo all you need to do is take the light out mop up the water and tighten your ariel to f**k, then clean your sunroof seal and rub it with petrolium jelly. Would fix it at the cost of, sweet f**k all!

I had this try the arial if not it could be the rubber that sits inside the sunroof it just pushes in. mine had perished so i got 1 from a breakers £3 result.

I have the same problem but without the smell, I tried to emulate the problem with a bucket or two of water to see where it was coming from.

I could not see any coming through, so I geuss you would need a jetwash to emulate it properly.

At first I blamed the arial but on touching the roof liner right at the top of the interior light clusture it was wet, so as far as I am concerned this proves that the leak enters at a point higher than where the arial is positioned.

I agree it comes from the rubber inner on the sunroof, I have now sealed this from the outside with duck tape, we shall have to wait and see what happens now.

Is comforting to know I am not alone (in a strange kind of way !)

lol thanks for the suggestions when i can park my car closer to my house i will try my jetwash on my roof and see

i believe it could be the ariel

cannot now be any sunroof seal as i have replace both they come as one unit the one from the sunroof to the car and the one from the glass to the frame if it is still the sunroof i will be giving renault a bollocking i will keep you informed i will hopefully be able to test it tomorrow

jaimie

clio williams, Ph1 172

sh*t u havent spent £230 just cos the ariel is leaking have you? All u have to do is take the interior light out. undo the nut, think its 8mm or 6mm or somethin and take the ariel off. then smear silicone underneath the ariel. squadge it down, wipe off any silicone that comes out the sides and jobs a guden. guarantee it wont leak then mate!

Revels Mum & Sister

Mine was leaking took it out and sealed all round with silicone and then popped it back on, worked so far. After a massive raining session leaked a tiny bit. Nothing a bit of Vaseline couldnt sort out

I had this prob too but i opened the sunroof and cleaned it all up and made sure it was shut tight and i havent had a prob since - touch wood!

Vix

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

The aerials are a normal source of the water leak. Take it out and apply silicon sealer around the base and refit, making sure you tighten it sufficiently. Wipe away the excess sealer before it goes off!

Secondly, the inner seals can become detached. Make sure its correctly set in the channel. Clean the sunroof glass and seal thorougly with a mild detergent. Apply petrolium jelly to the seal as previously suggested.

The sunroof can also leak between the outer frame and the roof panel. Remove the entire sunroof and apply silicon sealer to the frame and reinstall, remembering to remove the excess sealer.

Hope that helps.

Bob RTE

http://www.bobfriend.btinternet.co.uk/logo.gif

yup i tell everyone its the ariel! no one ever believes me! goes and spends stupid amounts on a new sunroof then wonders y it still leaks! all u gotta do is tighten the ariel nut up. job done

silver valver/hybrid

i had a leaking sunroof and it definately wasnt the ariel! there was a gap of about 1-2mm between the sunroof and the roof itself on one corner, i bodged it with some flue sealer looked messy but kept me dry, now im having it sprayed ive had a new seal put in.

mine does... but i left the sunroof open on 2 occasions. it got so bad that it fu*ked all my electrics including the central locking and alarm.

doh...

Ive tried wacking a load of silcone around the base of the ariel and after the rain last night it seemed dry it must be coming from further back. I.E the sunroof.

Bmw M4 & Clio 16v

I had this problem with my last clio and its just a fault of the design! it leaks around the sunroof seal and the arial! I cured mine for good! what you need to do is take the sunroof surround out and clean both surfaces with white spirit. then buy a tube of stikaflex or tiger seal. put a generous supply on the plastic sunroof surround where the rubber seal is (INFRONT) and then put the sunroof back in. allow 12 hours to dry and that will not only be stuck to the roof so as to never come off it should be bone dry!