ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaking sunroof - confused about which tape to use

Renault Clio
Hi, I've got a 2003 sunroof with the standard leaking sunroof. Whilst it is handy for giving my passenger's shoes a quick wash, I have been trying to fix. I checked the drain hole and scuttle wotsit arent blocked. I've looked at some you tube videos and got as far as figuring out that it is the seal between the sunroof and the roof. So, I bought some foam tape from ebay and dismantled the whole thing today. I took out all the 16 bolts, gave everything a good clean and put on the new tape. But, I'm pretty sure that it isnt going to fix things. There is a massive gap and the tape was only 1mm or so thick. So, I'd love some advice on what tape I should be using. I've seen lots of recommendations from no-more nails double sided tape, damming tape, damping tape, foam tape. But, I'm really confused and would be really grateful if anyone can tell me the brand/type of tape to try and where best to get it, thickness etc. I dont want to use silicon sealant as I tried that previously and it was okay, but I dont think that its a long term solution with the weather deterioration and it just made it so difficult to get the roof off again when it fails and needs re-sealing.

Thanks in advance.

M

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I used double sided glazing tape on mine, possibly 2mm thick from memory. Worked grand, no issues since.

Renault Clio
Thanks Brigsy. I've found this. That sounds like what you used, but a little bit thicker. What do you think?

Black Double Sided Glazing Tape 10mm x 5mm x 12m

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
5 mm is too thick, 2-3mm max or the frame will not sit flush to the roof.

Clio
For anyone else looking 4mm butyl mastic has been recommended on various forums