ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Letting your fuel run down too low?

My bicycle!!
Right ive heard this a numerous of time,

'you shouldnt run your car too low on petrol because it will suck dirt from the bottom of the tank'

But, the pump would suck from the bottom of the tank anyway, and theres a fuel filter to prevent any debris getting through to injectors/carbs?

Correct me im wrong!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Run mine till the light comes on quite often, less trips to the petrol station as possible.

fad

Clio 182 FF
I run mine down to the petrol light plus 30 miles then fill up.

Cars fine and I have run out once and it didnt affect the car at all still runs the same months later

Clio 1.2 (progress)
i done exactly what said ^ i ran mine bone dry filled it up started again and run fine since

used to be said with older cars , but the newer cars nowadays have better fuel filters fitted , so a doesn't make a difference now .

martynrg

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
just a question about the fuel light.......the past few weeks ive let the car run down to the red line but the light hasn't come on. How far does the line have to go down for the fuel light to come on??

BMW M135i
Fuel light should come on when theres 1 gallon left in the tank or so. The accuracy of the tank float varies from car to car though in my experience.

used to be said with older cars , but the newer cars nowadays have better fuel filters fitted , so a doesn't make a difference now .

Only true of old cars where the fuel filter hasnt been changed.

I used to go over to the reserve tank regulary on my 20 year old R5 GT Turbo and it never made one iota of difference.

MCS R56
40 miles left approx - light comes on. I then continue for at least 30 miles (most times) before filling up.

Then I drive really slowly to try and keep the mpg up for as long as possible, until I get bored.

Ph1 172 Sunflower :)
40 miles left approx - light comes on. I then continue for at least 30 miles (most times) before filling up.

Then I drive really slowly to try and keep the mpg up for as long as possible, until I get bored.

hahaha that sounds familiar

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
mine usually comes on at 40, iv only ever ran out of petrol once, which was unfortunate, but usually get the full 40 out of it if i cant be arsed stopping

My cars got such a s**t range I never put any fuel in till the lights been on for around 10 miles. It does seem to go abit better when its got fresh fuel in there though.
I leave my boat stored with a full tank though over the winter to prevent condensation (the tanks stainless), these seems to be the done thing in the marine industry but I guess cars have plastic tanks.

Mk1 Clio
I always usually refill when the needle is on the red, have never run it low enough for the red light to come on, tempted to try it but knowing my luck the light won't be working and i'll conk out :D

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
in mine and my brothers 1.2 it comes on with about 100miles left, the problem is that the trip computer miles to empty goes blank with 60 miles to go i suppose to force you to fill up.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
My mates mum used to do this with her car, fucked up something big time

It was a dacia duster, mind

fs_autonev_07.jpg

most vans have a sticker saying never empty the fuel tank
i leave mine to the gage is just on the red :rasp: then again its been nearly 2months since ive filled mine up :D an im just under half a tank now

Mini Cooper S sport
I only let mine run really low once and the computer went blank under 40 miles...I didn't like to risk it getting any lower!

D

dick

i think ive run out about 3 times.

fortunately ive got good mates who bail me out :)

also ther as bad as me, so its swings and roundabouts.

its not like the pipe in in the bottom of fuel tanks either is it, there is still the impurities in the petrol that sink to be bottom,