ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

lightest 172/182?

audi a6 3.0tdi
Who's got the lightest? Mine currently stands around the 940kg mark but i'm aiming to get it down to around the 850kg mark.

if you have had it weighed what have you done to get it down to that weight? Currently i've removed

• all interior
  • head lining
  • dash
  • started cutting wiring in the loom
i was thinking what else can come out and all i can think of is the following

• Air con setup
  • rear wiper assembly
  • cut out rear seat mounts and metal around the doors and boot
Has anyone taken it any futher than that? if so what?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
There's was thread already going in this section of people's weights, think it was this section too IIRC,might be worth searching for.

By all interior, I'm guessing you've got buckets? Could save 40-odd kg. On ph2 there is a chunk of metal near the engine, think under one of the mounts, about 5kg IIRC, not sure if this is on the ph1. What about lightweight wheels? Will save on unsprung weight too which should aid handling and braking.

Light wheels are a good shout, have you thought about removing the sideskirts and other bits like that?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
How are you going to lose 90kg when you've already removed loads of heavy stuff? Sounds difficult.

The air con is aprox 30kg. So I guess that is 1/3 of it.

S4 Avant
I think 480bhp may well have the lightest car once he's done with it. That things going to be a weapon.

audi a6 3.0tdi
Light wheels are a good shout, have you thought about removing the sideskirts and other bits like that?

yeah i did, i also thought about doing a 1.2 rep for a laugh so i could cut holes in the bumpers. There is no way i'm cutting a ph1 172 bumper.

audi a6 3.0tdi
How are you going to lose 90kg when you've already removed loads of heavy stuff? Sounds difficult.

The air con is aprox 30kg. So I guess that is 1/3 of it.
thats the difficult bit. all the metal around the doors and boot would add up to quite a bit. i could fit an alloy bonnet to save a bit more.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Plastic windows would save a chunk of weight. Just getting the parts s/h and for a decent price.

320d
thats the difficult bit. all the metal around the doors and boot would add up to quite a bit. i could fit an alloy bonnet to save a bit more.

I'm not idea how much lighter they are, but mine is feather light. Have a look at it next time we're both at a meet.

my car was on the car scales after been rewiderd. came in at 803kg. i have removed all heaters and fan blowers, but replaced them with a heated front screen. all aircon system is removed. still have glass windows which could be replaced with plastic, and also wanting carbon bonnet and boot in a year or so, so should save weight there.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
480bhp's car will be the lightest i'd imagion, Burps was light before he took it apart, he had done some clever things to save weight.

Our track car will be one of the lightest cars as well.
Fully stripped, all un-needed metal has been cut out, all tar ect removed. aircon gone, light weight buckets, light wheels, no arch liners, Perspex window all round. Will be removing a few more things and doing some more work over the Xmas break.

my car was on the car scales after been rewiderd. came in at 803kg. i have removed all heaters and fan blowers, but replaced them with a heated front screen. all aircon system is removed. still have glass windows which could be replaced with plastic, and also wanting carbon bonnet and boot in a year or so, so should save weight there.

Sorry but I can't believe a road legal car can be this light is this a dry figure so without any fuel, coolant, oil etc???????

You may well get into the 800's but i'd be thinking of adding a full cage if you start to chop metal out of the car, a full cage will add back in around 40kg's

Also be aware that some of the weights thrown around on here for removing parts are just pure lies, if some of the part weights are to be beleived then the standard clio must weigh 2 ton :rolleyes:

Seat's don't weigh 30+kgs
Aircon Doesn't weigh 30kgs
Headlining weighs bugger all

They're all small weight that add up, for instance my Car before i set about the latest changes weighed 990kg's and that's with a full cage and no interior whatsoever, just a steering wheel and one seat.

There's probably 30kgs of steel to remove from the car max, and that includes compromising side impact strength, so adding a cage with door bars is a must.

The glass isn't heavy, 4kgs for a door window, 3kg's for the side windows and 4kgs for the rear screen, that's only 15kg's andd you'll need to replace them with something, so probably 10kg's to be saved that's all.

I've no idea what mine will weigh, but i'll be surprised if it could be made that much lighter, afterall i'm even getting rid of the underseal and seam sealer ;) i'm aiming for under 900kg's if possible.

Last edited:
its a track car, no interior ect. i didnt say road car. coolant was full, oil, gearbox oil, was just under 1/4 of tank after mapping!

its a track car, no interior ect. i didnt say road car. coolant was full, oil, gearbox oil, was just under 1/4 of tank after mapping!

Fair enough but there's one hell of a difference between a road legal and track car weights so maybe the thread should be ammended as its misleading.

;)

That's an impressive weight, what have you done to acheive that? other than above (i've already done that too)

Looking for tips ;)

Chris

bare minimal, i spent over 4k getting car rewired by this bloke

http://www.wizardracelooms.co.uk/

he was the guy who put it on the scales also, its unbelievable how much weight was saved on the loom.

other than that made, it was just as everyone else has done. al start a blog on here from where am upto from the beginning when i get 5 mins!

since the 803, i have added a couple of more bars onto the cage and had the inside fully painted so will be a little more since then (april when it was on the scales)

TVR Cerbera
If it wasn't weighed on professional corner scales then you can guess weights all day long......... your local weighbridge weighs 30 ton trucks, it's hardly gonna be acurate for a clio! good for pubtalk, crap for acuracy.
I'd be very suprised if you can get a mk2 under 900kgs unless it is extreme (Chris ;) lol )
mine weighs about 950kg =/- 50kgs, weighed with corner scales but only acurate to =/- 10kgs and it's totally stripped........

audi a6 3.0tdi
may i ask why you are trying to make the car so light??

for track days?

just to say 'i have the lightest car'?

instead of spending loads on tuning to get a few bhp i could save weight for a better power to weight ratio. When i can't get the power to weight any better with the standard engine then i'll start spending on engine mods.

losing weight is free also, and its not like i need any of the stuff in the car.

GW RS200
Love this thread! Is there a real difference to handling feel? And what do these featherweights come to in BHP per tonne now? From reading mags, I think the RS200 is about 166 and the new FRS about 187 odd?

for the lads who got there's weighed on corner scales.
what was the front to rear ratio??

is the car going to be a daily driver or track car?

audi a6 3.0tdi
Love this thread! Is there a real difference to handling feel? And what do these featherweights come to in BHP per tonne now? From reading mags, I think the RS200 is about 166 and the new FRS about 187 odd?

Mines on eibach sportlines and with the lack of weight the handling is rather twichy. i think it needs lowering more with coilovers with custom springs for the new weight of the car.

as for power to weight some are getting close to 200bhp per tonne

the car's purely for country lane fun

Mines on eibach sportlines and with the lack of weight the handling is rather twichy. i think it needs lowering more with coilovers with custom springs for the new weight of the car.

as for power to weight some are getting close to 200bhp per tonne

the car's purely for country lane fun

by twitchy u mean the back end??

sportlines are more for show, with a big drop, i had prolines, only a 25mil drop, much nicer than standard.

audi a6 3.0tdi
by twitchy u mean the back end??

sportlines are more for show, with a big drop, i had prolines, only a 25mil drop, much nicer than standard.

mine is higher than standard even with the sportline due to there being no weight. it was a lot more planted with full interior and at the correct ride hight.

audi a6 3.0tdi
the car is a mess as i'm id way through sorting it but current pics of where its at

SP_A0142.jpg

SP_A0129.jpg

SP_A0141.jpg

S4 Avant
If it wasn't weighed on professional corner scales then you can guess weights all day long......... your local weighbridge weighs 30 ton trucks, it's hardly gonna be acurate for a clio! good for pubtalk, crap for acuracy.
I'd be very suprised if you can get a mk2 under 900kgs unless it is extreme (Chris ;) lol )
mine weighs about 950kg =/- 50kgs, weighed with corner scales but only acurate to =/- 10kgs and it's totally stripped........

Actually Daz, the 44 tonne truck weighbridges are accurate to within 10kgs as well! Tried and tested on our local supplier at work ;) Still not got round to weighing my clio there yet though. Be interesting to know what a completely standard clio weighs.

TVR Cerbera
Actually Daz, the 44 tonne truck weighbridges are accurate to within 10kgs as well! Tried and tested on our local supplier at work ;) Still not got round to weighing my clio there yet though. Be interesting to know what a completely standard clio weighs.

a lot more than renault quotes, lol