ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Living with a 182 in the MSV Trackday Trophy

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Hi All

I’m lucky enough to be entered in the MSV Trackday Trophy. As with all of us it’s a dream to race but for whatever reason I kept putting it off. However I kept saying I’d race a car before i’m 40, i’m 40 in October so time to chop chop!

Some of you might be aware that I have built this car up over the past three years....

Build thread.....

Sadly I went a bit to far with it and can’t justify racing it. However a good friend of mine bought one ready to race. Trackday trophy is 40 min races split between 2 drivers. Ideal for us the costs are split.

So here she is....

Some of you know it (speak up if you do)?

I’ll update as we go along but the reason for the start of the new thread is tomorrow is the first time I’ll see the car as we apply the livery! And Monday is our first outing at Donnington on the pre season test day.

Background will follow but one thing for sure as with my build thread for C5EAD I won’t hide anything. Mistakes will be made and the budget isn’t limitless! It’s going to be an adventure but at last........ we’re going racing!

Instagram account for the blue Clio aka Team ‘doubleSracing’ is @doubleSracing

Instagram account for the silver Clio (C5EAD) is @CS_182

Lots of updates shortly!

Last edited:

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Good luck! I raced against this car a few times last year.

Shame you’re not coming to TinTops. Don’t rule it out. The format is exactly the same but no weight restrictions. And one class just for Clios!

I’ll be following!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We haven’t ruled out anything. I do follow all the other series on their relative pages/websites. We’re just dipping our toes in ATM

You’ll be please to know the Clio has a new bonnet and grill since it rear ended the 106 on its last outing ? It also has a new engine ?

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome to see you doing a new thread on here!.. Will see you on Monday at Donington! (ProAmRacing) [emoji1360]
Yeah i’ve seen your car, different league ? We’re not even near ready to race and just want to say hello to people and find out what we still need to do. Still need to buy my race PPE!

We’ve even had to refit the dash to fit regs! It’s going to be an adventure. There’s two Clio 182s between four of us so we’re probably aiming just to beat each other! I’ll pop past and say hello Monday ?

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
That’s what it’s all about, we’ve been saying we want to go racing for a few years now, so been dragging out getting our licences and race wear etc too.. got to keep the fun element, so pretty cool your doing it with a group of friends!... Its good to see more clios on the grid tho, I count about 14 entered into the TDT now!

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Today I met my race car for the first time ?

With the sticker man booked in we gave it a quick wash.

Then on with the stickers. Time beat us so the lightings poor but you should get the idea......

Can’t believe how many compulsory stickers there are! We still need to add our number but need 100% confirmation before we do.

Whilst the stickers went on we fitted some door cards from @Track-car-doorcards . Fantastic product. Wish they were about when I spent ages fitting my ones to C5EAD. Literally took 20 mins a door to fit. With the dash reinstalled to the car the inside is looking 100 times better. Definatly recommend them.

So the cars ready for test day.......... apart from the intermittent misfire ? New coil pack has been installed and we have a boot full of parts if it isn’t that. Sadly we can’t test drive the car on the road it it seams ok now! Next stop Donnington ?

Last edited:

Track-car-doorcards

ClioSport Trader
  clio 172 Mk 2 - 2003
Today I met my race car for the first time ?

With the sticker man booked in we gave it a quick wash.

View attachment 1408553
View attachment 1408559

Then on with the stickers. Time beat us so the lightings poor but you should get the idea......

View attachment 1408554View attachment 1408558View attachment 1408557

Can’t believe how many compulsory stickers there are! We still need to add our number but need 100% confirmation before we do.

Whilst the stickers went on we fitted some door cards from @Track-car-doorcards . Fantastic product. Wish they were about when I spent ages fitting my ones to C5EAD. Literally took 20 mins a door to fit. With the dash reinstalled to the car the inside is looking 100 times better. Definatly recommend them.

View attachment 1408555View attachment 1408556
So the cars ready for test day.......... apart from the intermittent misfire ? New coil pack has been installed and we have a boot full of parts if it isn’t that. Sadly we can’t test drive the car on the road it it seams ok now! Next stop Donnington ?
Looking good??

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Brilliant!.. looks like a proper race car now!.. yeah I was shocked by the amount of stickers too!.. when did you get yours?, I’ve asked about them a few times and they say they’re sending them out but not received anything

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Brilliant!.. looks like a proper race car now!.. yeah I was shocked by the amount of stickers too!.. when did you get yours?, I’ve asked about them a few times and they say they’re sending them out but not received anything
Russ (the driver/owner) called MSV in the week and said that we were having our liverey fitted at the weekend so they sent it to us. Our friends also had theirs sent to them this week as well. I don’t know if this was by chance or not?!

Looking dry for tomorrow now ?

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
A testing day testing............

Monday we went to Donnington for our first outing in our car. We went up the night before and ventured in Monday. Weather was forecast dry, happy days

So we had a few issues to deal with -

Getting the wheels to fit on with huncentric spacers. Believe it or not the car had been running on generic 10mm spacers! We bought the new ones but the hubs had corrosion on them. Que 45 mins cleaning the hubs up. No problem we cleaned them up and the wheels fitted on.

Next - noticed the car had a miss fire. Changed the plugs, coil pack and leads but it remained. Then noticed the leads for 2 & 3 were the wrong way around. Swapped them over and hey presto she works!

A great moment to see the car going out for a few laps. Back in and all is ok so I took it out for a few laps. Very strange to drive as this Clio has no ABS and no power steering! Also the driving position isn’t as good as the C5EAD but i’ll get around that. Then out for another go and........... it won’t start. Que another 45 mins lost. Turns out one of the relays was loose in the fuse box.

Then we’re off again! Russ did along sestion and the cars running fine. Happy days as it’s an unproven car. Then my turn. Longish session and I was starting to carry some speed around the track when.........

Disaster, I can’t and won’t go into it to much but I was passing a classic mini and he turned into me resulting in him bouncing off of me and into an Astra.

So for the first time in my driving life (22 years doing 25-40k miles a year with countless trackdays) I’ve been involved in an accident with another car, and it’s in my friends car. Gutted

The damage for us was superficial, for the mini it was worse. Que meetings with the officials. We were allowed to carry on.

From that point I had no interest. We had a further issue with the top mount coming loose and then it rained.

I have driven Donnington in a lot worse wet weather in C5EAD. I had no issues with that. Having no ABS or power steering and running on Yokohama’s just didn’t cut it for me.

So what’s next, we have a car that was untested and we come away with a seemingly good engine, gearbox, clutch etc but we need to get some speed into it. It’s not slow but C5EAD is confidence inspiring.

We’re aiming for the first race a month from today at Donnington. Last night I drove 400 miles to pick up a new door and side skirt in blue. The car is going to the body shop to have the side pushed out a bit.

Rolling road is at Brands in 25th so it looks like we’re taking this opertunity to test again.

I said I’d be honest with this, it’s been a massive eye opener this week!

Racing people - what tyres are you running in wet conditions? We need to get off of the Yokohama’s ASAP!

Last edited:

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Eventful testing day!

Sorry to hear about the accident, these things happen. Sounds like you had a few teething issues with the Clio, at least it was on a testing day rather than a race day.

Following your experience with interest.

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Eventful testing day!

Sorry to hear about the accident, these things happen. Sounds like you had a few teething issues with the Clio, at least it was on a testing day rather than a race day.

Following your experience with interest.

Exactly, trying to be positive! The car works we just need to dial it in. Think i’ve been spoilt with C5EAD being such a good car but that gives us a good reference!

Onwards and upwards!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Following this!

Unlucky about the incident on your first test day :cautious:

If you can manage to get some, Toyo R1R's are popular as a wet tyre for club racing.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Just followed you on Instagram. WIll be keeping an eye on this. I did my first rally a few weeks ago after dreaming about it for years. It was a disaster in many ways, but totally worth it! You'll love it when you get out there properly. Sure you'll get over the teething troubles.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
You’ll be please to know the Clio has a new bonnet and grill since it rear ended the 106 on its last outing ? It also has a new engine ?

Not your problem. Sounds like the Pug simply wasn't going fast enough! :p

A shame that your coming together with the Mini wasn't as superficial - especially given all the time, effort and patience spent in getting to that point.

Hopefully it can all be fixed with not much fuss. The door cards in particular looked a great bolt-on option.

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Just followed you on Instagram. WIll be keeping an eye on this. I did my first rally a few weeks ago after dreaming about it for years. It was a disaster in many ways, but totally worth it! You'll love it when you get out there properly. Sure you'll get over the teething troubles.
It’s already an eye opener! The hot start issue would have meant we got the car started as the race finished! Good luck with your future events ?

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Not your problem. Sounds like the Pug simply wasn't going fast enough! :p

A shame that your coming together with the Mini wasn't as superficial - especially given all the time, effort and patience spent in getting to that point.

Hopefully it can all be fixed with not much fuss. The door cards in particular looked a great bolt-on option.
Door cards are great and so easy to fit! The new door and side skirt was purchased for £60. We are now officially booked onto the first race in less than a month. It will be ready!

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Refreshing when people talk about themselves and their projects warts and all... especially in this day and (instagram) age.
Wish you all the best with racing and will subscribe to the thread now.
Thank you! It’s going to be an honest adventure for sure!

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
The clios down with body shop having the repairs carried out. Some good has come out of the bump (pint half full not half empty!) they have come on board as a sponsor for the season. In exchange for some space for branding on the car they are going to carry out the repairs and only charge us for parts used (paint etc). That’s not just this incident but any going forward! Not that we’re planing any more bumps!!! I dropped off the door and side skirt off and the reality hit home of the damaged caused with the bump......

file-26.jpeg

Ironically we received the photos of from the pre season test day. Its nice to see them but every photo seams to have the damage in it :(

mlt33318.jpg
mlt34380.jpg
mlt34387.jpg
mlt34405.jpg
mlt34411.jpg
mlt34426.jpg
mlt34434.jpg
mlt34444.jpg

The car should be ready early next week ready for the dyno day 25th March. We're going to turn this into a test day and play around with the car because........................... we're now officially entered for the opening Round at Donnignton 7th April. o_O

Last edited:

Rob Quantrell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Following this thread with interest! I’m also in a Clio looking at Tin Tops and TDT. Best of luck with the first few races, we are looking at the Snetterton round in June as our first TDT.

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Second test / final test day, next time out we're racing!!

We spent the day at Brands yesterday. Weather was great which is good if we have a dry day at the first race. First off the car is straight again but is looking crap as its missing the side skirt, trim and graphics. Its 12 days until race one so we'll try and get it looking good before then.

file-1.jpeg

It was a busy day and we were on the reserve list but come 10.00 we were given the go ahead to join in the fun. Quick in and out lap and there was a massive banging coming from the front. Turns out the drivers side ball joint was loose. Once we fixed that we never had another issue all day! result

file2.jpeg
IMG_1647.JPG
IMG_1654.JPG
IMG_1648.JPG

At lunch we went for our RR. Knocked out the below. Depending how you look at it, it looks great for an unknown millage engine with an ST ST exhaust and a 'Fatty' induction kit. Personally I think its to much as the other 'team' car made 12 bhp less and is as fast as ours in a straight line.

file3.jpeg
file4.jpeg
IMG_1649.JPG

Onto the afternoon and we softened the suspension a little. I hate to compare but C5EAD rides the kerbs better. A little softer allowed us to use them. We're within a second of the sister car (only in the dry) but I know I can go faster in C5EAD which is frustrating. There's a couple of cheap bits we can do involving camber. I'm also looking forward to some new tyres when these are used up.

Personally I hate having no power steering. The other team car now has the electronic rack. We'll see how the first race goes and then I might push for this. I'm also not a fan of no ABS as we had a couple of moment. In the rain it 1000 times worse but I don't think there's an easy fix for this so we'll just crack on.

All in all the cars working and we're picking up speed. Lots of little jobs to finish but no fundamental ones. If its dry in 12 days time it'll be alright.

file7.jpeg
IMG_1667.JPG

Last edited:

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one. What suspension are you running on this car compared to C5EAD ?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

This has GAZ GHA, C5EAD has GAZ gold. Both run 600 springs at the front but this has 600 at the rear and C5EAD has 400s

We have a spare new set of 400 rear springs so might try that at some point.

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
The night before the night before...............

So here it goes, race day is less than 48 hours away! Are we ready? Sort of...

I picked up the car yesterday and have spent today trying to get it ready. As you can see above the right hand side of the car isn't looking to good at the moment. First up was fit the door card to the new door. What didn't help is we have a door from a 172 cup so the multiplug connector is different so I had to change the wiring loom. Once done there was still an issue with the central locking so I changed the locking mechanism.

IMG_1791.JPG

Then time for a wash ready for the stickers. I managed to fit the 'series' stickers with no issues but when I went to fit the grey band down the side things went down hill quickly. Its harder than it looks! As a result graphic man will be down first thing in the morning to finish it off.
361a22e6-529b-45e9-87f4-666c6561c733.JPG
a1557160-9de2-4015-99c6-66de41b1f2e6.JPG
7550634b-9e9a-4cbf-8f3c-46f4191fb3cb.JPG

That's right, we're team 69! not my choice:LOL:
Another issue is the black side skirt clips are currently 90 miles away. So when Russ gets here tomorrow we'll fit the new side skirt.

I also re fitted then fog light, tried to get the indicators working and mounted the GoPro (this is mandatory)

5ba71ba8-529e-45ac-ba48-7d440dac789a.JPG

So are we ready? Debatable.
Are we having fun? We will but there's lots of anxiety ATM.
What are we aiming for? 37 cars entered and i'll be happy to finish............37! I just want to finish the race. I'm second driver so we need at least 20 mins out of it so I get a go!

IMG_1773.JPG
IMG_1774.JPG
IMG_1777.JPG

And for me a special moment, the car the made two friends buy two race 182s and one friend buy a road 182, The car I built and have spent so much time enjoying and building met the car I will have my first race in..............

IMG_1778.JPG
IMG_1780.JPG

Instagram updates for the weekend and going forward @doubleSracing

P.S. - Racers, if you see any scrutineering failures please say. This is all new to us and we just want the opportunity to get out and have some fun (y)

Last edited: