ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Local Servers Vs Web Based Application?

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Hi All,

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

I run a small business with a maximum of 3/4 users.

Two of whom (Myself and the Mrs) need to start sharing the same data. Word, Excel documents, photos and so on.

What is the cheapest, safest and most effected way to do this?

We use Apple Macs of some sorts.

Is Office 365 our best bet?

Thanks

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Office 365 is a good shout, infact it's probably the best option out there at the minute. If you want to do it local, get a small server and stick FreeNAS on it. Easy to configure and really powerful.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
HP Microserver (N54L), you can get them for less than £100 then you can get 2TB drives for around £80.

Google drive/dropbox let you access the files offline.

If the internet is down a couple of files is going to be the least of their worries.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks all.

All due respect. We have been trading for 14 months and our internet has dropped off once for about 5 minutes. I'll take the risk with that tbh.

I'm also thinking something web based that way everything i stored safe and can be accessed via any machine, tablet or mobile device.

I think office 365 is $5 per person per month which included the use of ALL MS Office for mac.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I really don't want to use dropbox. Don't ask me why but I just think we need something more comprehensive.

DCi
No you can't. He wants to share data between 4 members of staff in a office. If the internet goes down the files won't be shared between the pc's, and they will have to resort to memory pens to share data.

Unless you are out in the sticks I think you'd probably live with that...

Anyway, by 'comprehensive' what do you actually want?

Fiesta ST
Office365 - Exchange Email and Sharepoint/Sky Drive Pro plus full Office Professional suite which will always be up to date - great for businesses.

Plus you get Office for your smart phones :)

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'd say dropbox, but if you want access to MS office, go for exchange and and use skydrive. Couldn't be much more simple.

Although funnily enough today 365 is having a mare, first time in 6 months though tbh.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I'd say dropbox, but if you want access to MS office, go for exchange and and use skydrive. Couldn't be much more simple.

Although funnily enough today 365 is having a mare, first time in 6 months though tbh.

We use 365, it's constantly having one for us! :(

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
There is actually a reported service problem when you log into web admin at the moment, it's under repair but mostly fixed. Sending emails can take upto 30 minutes today it seems and even then it's hit and miss.

There is actually a reported service problem when you log into web admin at the moment, it's under repair but mostly fixed. Sending emails can take upto 30 minutes today it seems and even then it's hit and miss.

It varies depending what servers your "package" is held on. There are no problems showing in my web admin at the moment for any of the 365 services!

What security do you need on these files? How often will be accessed and edited? Will you need access of these files if someone works from home?

dk

911 GTS Cab
We use 365, it's constantly having one for us! :(
its nicknamed Office 363 in the industry, although the number will be dropping weekly probably ;)

I use skydrive (soon to not be called skydrive as MS lost the case against Sky TV) for all my file sharing needs these days, oh and dropbox, both are good.

Rav4
The three questions are;

1) How much data are we talking about in regards to storage?
2) What are you using for emails at the moment? Exchange/iMap/something else?
3) Do you currently have MS office installed? (I presume so)

Prescription based or local, either or will be offset against your tax as a business expense so it's negligible however, subscription business (depending on software) normally costs more over time.

Please note that the $5 a month subscription does not include software.

Thanks,

G.