ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Long brake lever travel after fluid change

Clio 172 Cup, 320CE
Looking for a bit of advice. I had MLR braided brake hoses fitted all round after the car failed it's MOT due to corrosion on the on the front hoses. The garage advised 3 of the 4 bleed nipples had snapped but we're able to bleed via the hoses. I have only driven a few miles since the work was done but now the travel on the brake pedal is noticeably longer before the brakes bite. I haven't done any hard braking yet but the brakes do seem to bite as well as they did before the work was done just now have to press the pedal down further. What could be the reason?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Needs bleeding via the caliper bleed nipples really.

It's all well and good getting air out of just the lines, but if it's in the caliper too, you're never going to do it without using the nipples.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Definitely half a job by the sound of it.

OP, get them to do it again and remove/fit new bleed nipples. They should be able to get them out with stud extractors and heat.
If they can't manage that , God knows what the rest of their work is like. Any decent garage would have done that without hesitation . The least they could have done was phone the OP and tell them.

Clio 172 Cup, 320CE
Thanks for the advice guys. I think you're right about the garage, due to 2 poorly kids and work I took it to the closest garage for an MOT rather than the ones I usually use. I will probably end up having to take it to a better garage and pay twice....

the car failed it's MOT due to corrosion on the on the front hoses
All the mk2 clios seem to be failing on Front Brake hose ferrule excessively corroded (3.6.B.4e)
The rubber cover looks perished and when you pull them back there's lots of rust.
15 + years is good service though.

Clio 172 Cup, 320CE
I've got 2 rear rebuilt callipers with free bleed nipples if you need them. £50 delivered.
Thanks JB21, I did spot the full set you had for sale, but was too slow as notice the fronts have sold. Do you have any photos? And the all important question, are the bleed nipples free from the calipers?