ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at buying a Clio 1.8 16v

Wanting to know if the capabilities of this car are as well as stated on parkers, if so that car is bluddy rapid.
and the tuning potential of such car, and how much I'd look to pay

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
They're not quick mate. They were back in the day but most shopping cars can keep up with a standard one nowadays.

mazda 323f ;)
absolute brick but i love it
150,000 and still pulling the original 0-60...
but crash damage means i've got to move on
and I feel the need for a go kart instead of a family car

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Is that the 2.0 v6?? I used to love them, they look mean as f**k from the front!

Don't expect Mazda reliability from a Clio 16v by the way....

nahh it was a 1.5, i'm only a bairn.
aaye its a lovely car, i'd get a 1.8 but they're rarer to come across and not that rapid for a 1.8...

Yeah they aren't quick now, my old one was as it was on 90 odd thousand & the engine was knackered. I blew the engine up, got one on 60k fitted & it was tight as, the car was so slow, so I sold it on.

They are group 12, for a 'better one' you'll need about two grand. Also look out for 'hybrid' that's where folk fit the Willliams 2.0 to them.

Don't worry about the group too much, some lower grouped cars cost more to insure with some companies then higher ones with others.

how old are you ? ncd ? location etc ?

Tbh for that money, you won't really find a decent one, you might do if you look hard enough though. Most are very old now (last of the line was '96) and lots suffer from rusty arches & sills (plus other bits) What i'm saying is, you'll see more rubbish ones than you will good ones.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
They are about, but I reckon for every fgood one, theres 5 s**t ones. Maybe more!

I looked at about 10 before I bought mine. And mines not mint!

A valver in original condition is as fast as any 172 / 182 / williams in road conditions or on track.

There are only fractions of a second between them all.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A valver in original condition is as fast as any 172 / 182 / williams in road conditions or on track.

b****cks.

In my old valver I got my ass handed to me. I also smoked freebone in his valver when I had my 172.

I love valvers, but that sir is a load of baloney.

fast, cheap, reliable.
Pick two, boo.
Tbh they aren't fast at all, unless looked after they are not reliable. I agree with Daniel - for every one good one, you'll five heaps. I sold mine years ago & tbh even back then it was very hard to get a good one.

Not in my experience, off the line against a phase 1 172 i'd be level, after 60 he'd be pulling. I had a play with a few 172's & they'd get about three car lengths in front of me.

Same for a Williams too, after about 60 they'd pull a bit. That was with my car on it knackered engine, the engine with less miles on it was too tight, the car couldn't get near anything then :(

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
They aren't that quick from the few i have had blasts with, but they don't feel any slower when you are riding in one, think you will struggle to find a goodun for that money though

Funny how people opinion of a car is based on once racing them 'off the line' in a street race and the one time their mate saw one in a car park.

If you havnt owned one or spent considerable time with a good one then your opinion is worth next to nothing. Might as well ask an innuit what its like to live in the desert.

Comparing a 20 year old car with a 5 year old car is pointless. Compare like with like. An original condition valver, or wait until the 182's get to be 20 years old and then see how fast they are then.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Funny how people opinion of a car is based on once racing them 'off the line' in street races and the one time their mate saw one.

If you havnt owned one or spent considerable time with a good one then your opinion is worth next to nothing. Might as well ask an innuit what its like to live in the desert.

I've had 3 valvers and 9 172's. Considerable enough?

Funny how people opinion of a car is based on once racing them 'off the line' in a street race and the one time their mate saw one in a car park.

I had the valver for about four years, ok I didn't track it, but I did a lot more than traffic light GP's. I never even mentioned them, off the line could be anywhere, I didn't say it was on the street.

I had the valver for about four years, ok I didn't track it, but I did a lot more than traffic light GP's. I never even mentioned them, off the line could be anywhere, I didn't say it was on the street.

What mileage was the valver on and how much did you sell it for?

Im assuming you didnt sell it for 5k and it hadnt done 5k miles?

..Comparing a 20 year old car with a 5 year old car is pointless. Compare like with like. An original condition valver, or wait until the 182's get to be 20 years old and then see how fast they are then.
I think it's fair to say that 99% of valvers have had 99% of their parts replaced, so as they have new parts it's fair to compare them.

You are right it wasn't on 5k miles, it was on more than that (90k like I said) & tbh the engine in it was good until it let go, with the lower mileage one (on about 60k when it went in) it was rubbish.

I sold it for 2700 iirc which was top money back then.

I think it's fair to say that 99% of valvers have had 99% of their parts replaced, so as they have new parts it's fair to compare them.

You are right it wasn't on 5k miles, it was on more than that (90k like I said) & tbh the engine in it was good until it let go, with the lower mileage one (on about 60k when it went in) it was rubbish.

I sold it for 2700 iirc which was top money back then.

90k? Thats almost once round the earth, No wonder you thought it was slow.

And ill give you a tip for free. Good engines dont let go. Old knackered ones down on power do. This post just goes to prove my point. People buy a nail of a valver, then get a newish 172 and think the 172 is a better car.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Same question, what condition were the valvers in? Most are complete dogs, no wonder people 'think' they are slow. A 1200 quid valver isnt going to be in the best condition is it?

So what you're saying is a 12 month old Clio 16v, when it had 5000 miles on it was comparible to a 12m old 172 with 5000 miles on it.

What a pointless argument.

*Edit* FLOL @ once around the earth!!

90k? Thats almost once round the earth, No wonder you thought it was slow.
That's not what I said. I said it was better with the higher mileage engine in it. It was crap with the lower mileage one.

The engine on 90k let go as the oil pressure pump failed on it.

Lol @ it being a nail ! I had it for about three years before it went t*ts up. The car was far from a nail. It was mint.

So what you're saying is a 12 month old Clio 16v, when it had 5000 miles on it was comparible to a 12m old 172 with 5000 miles on it.

What a pointless argument.

*Edit* FLOL @ once around the earth!!

What im saying is you take any of the renaultsport front engine cars in their ORIGINAL CONDITION, there will be a few tenths between them.

Not forgetting that their will be slow and quick examples of each, so this is taking that into consideation too.

I dont think this is rocket science, i dont see why it is such a hard concept to grasp.

That's not what I said. I said it was better with the higher mileage engine in it. It was crap with the lower mileage one.

The engine on 90k let go as the oil pressure pump failed on it.

Lol @ it being a nail ! I had it for about three years before it went t*ts up. The car was far from a nail. It was mint.

Like i said, pumps would not fail on a good engine, You had a dog. No wonder it was slow. Hardly fair comparing it to a newer car is it?

If it was mint it would have won a concours award. Id say at best it was average.

People overestimating their cars worth - Brad's fourth law.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
What im saying is you take any of the renaultsport front engine cars in their ORIGINAL CONDITION, there will be a few tenths between them.

Not forgetting that their will be slow and quick examples of each, so this is taking that into consideation too.

I dont think this is rocket science, i dont see why it is such a hard concept to grasp.

And you'd be right in your assumptions.

The fact of the matter is, ANY standard valver in ''reasonable'' condition will get humped by ANY standard 172 in ''Reasonable'' condition. Today. Not 5 or 8 years ago.

All imo of course. :rolleyes: