ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

looking at getting a 172 as my daily hack

hello

been away from owning a clio for a few years now since my valver, anyhow currently looking to replace my 206 gti daily hack with a mk1 172 and have a few questions...

whats the build quality like on the mk1s? are they rattly? well made?
driving posistion - is this any good, im 6ft so in my 206 it really pisses me off!
full econ - ill be doing quite a bit of motorway - about 40mpg?

i also have to do a few long journeys, can you comfortabley do a 2-3hr journey?

ta!

GP

Clio 172 cup
crap build quality, they rattle lots. Seating position is far too high, fuel consumption is very good though. Even after owning evos and scoobys the ph1 is the most fun car to drive I have ever had.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
i get 46mpg easy sitting at 55mph in 'traffic'

go up to 70odds and youll still top 40no probs.

I run a phase 1 172 as my daily, had it since September time last year and done 8k in it. The build quality isn't great, rattles like f**k and lots of hard plastic, seats are quite supportive though and look nice, seem to be quite comfortable. Driving position is s**t but you get used to it. I get around 32mpg average as all my driving is around town, 29mpg if im in a bad mood.
Its a great fun car to drive and there is a 'feel' to it that I instantly miss when driving other cars, it feels really connected after some of the modern stuff I drive at work.
Nothing more satisfying than nailing a much more expensive car off the lights in something that in my case as of January next year will qualify for the scrap allowance!

Mini Cooper S sport
My OH is 6'6 and had a 206 for 7 years and it's one of the few cars he fits in, so I don't know why it's a problem for you!

The driving position in the Clio feels like you're driving a bus.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I owned my mk1 for 2 years and it was brilliant. I did about 40 miles per day in it commuting and never had a problem. Great on fuel and good fun when you fancy an enthusiastic drive. Get a standard one though if you're doing high miles in it. Had my ph2 a month now and its every bit as good, but with a few more luxuries.

Ph1
Build quality is far better than any Pug thats for sure!

I was getting 40 - 43mpg the other night sat between 70 and 90 with some drop down gearchanges (no city driving) on a fairly high modded engine set up

MPG in these are crazy good vs the performance!

My OH is 6'6 and had a 206 for 7 years and it's one of the few cars he fits in, so I don't know why it's a problem for you!

The driving position in the Clio feels like you're driving a bus.

ah the problem with the 206 gti is that it looks like they have designed it for short girls!!

if you have the seat so far back that your legs are supported you cant reach the steering wheel!! its a known issue apparently!

GP

DB.

BMW 440i
Build quality is far better than any Pug thats for sure!

Having owned both, i can definately disagree! Theyre both rattly and french with poor driving conditions. Still love my french cars though, but the build quality is similar :dapprove:

Interior is certainly alot nicer in the 206. Especially the 206 Gti180. Although ill be going back to a 197 or Meg R26 soon. :)