ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Losing oil

Pikey Truck
My Cup is dropping in oil level quite quickly, and its quite intermittent.

I topped it up a litre on new years eve and it looks like it might need topping up another litre again.

Anyone hazard a guess as to whether it may be a leak or, dare i mention, the piston rings...??

Help much appreciated

Chris

Pikey Truck
Ive done about 1000 miles since yet, it doesnt always do it. One minute its fine and the next it drops quite quickly, which kinda leads me to believe its a leak. or maybe the wrong grade of oil, 10w 40 good enough?

Clio 172
Is there any sign of a leak? Anything on the ground where you park it overnight? If it is leaking I'd recommend getting it checked out soon as - see my post on dephaser unit!!!!

Don't want to worry you without need but better safe than sorry m8

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Mine used about 1 litre of oil when I first had the car on about 20k every couple of thousand.

Since the 24k service, (i'm now on 32k) it's probably only used about 500ml.

What's the mileage?

Pikey Truck
nearly 28k mate... so u think its the service it needs? hoping to get it in for its 24k service soon, as it had a service at 17k aswell as 12k.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
It's strange that mine did it for a while around the similar mileage as yours and now it has stopped using so much.

The only thing I noticed that Renault dealer who changed the oil before I had it on the 12k service used 10w40, and good old SJ Cooks used 5w40 on my 24k service.

It could be worth the price of a oil change with 5w40, to see if it makes a difference.

Pikey Truck
just had a look round the engine bay. found oil round the back of the head above the manifold. like it was leaking out of a gasket... seems strange :S

CTR--VX220D
No thats out of where the bolts hold the head in under the plenam - they all do that.

You need to check under the car for oil drips and or spots on the driveway.

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
if its not had an oil change for a while, give it one, they all tend to use more oil when the oil is old and fucked