ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M140 Thread

Snotter's
After 18 months with a Cupra ST I fancied a change.
Insurance was proving costly on an m3 or RS3 after having a car stolen in 2019 so they were ruled out.

An m140 seemed a good choice as I new how good the engines were and insurance was comparable to the Cupra

I wanted sunset Orange, Pro Media and Heated seats. A Sunday morning PH search and a 19 plate with 15k popped up at a main dealer priced about £1,500 cheaper than other AUC cars of that age and mileage and a deal was done.

Ive had the car 3 weeks now, the engine is fantastic and with a stage 1 MG flasher map it flys (stage 2 will happen next month)

The chassis is crap, worse than I anticipated! I’ve fitted some Bilstein b14’s, M sport rear bump stops and Bimmec spacers which have made a huge difference and the back end feels connected. I will be adding an underbody brace, subframe bushes and m3 lower arms.

After not really getting on with the car at first I absolutely love it now
6C096D40-B9DD-49DD-B20D-046902EC590A.jpeg

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Lovely, that colour is amazing. Do you have the adaptive suspension? I found that makes a huge difference to the handling (in sport mode).

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Love that colour, don't see many about, assume it's an auto? interested to see how you think it compares to the Cupra speed wise?

Snotter's
Lovely, that colour is amazing. Do you have the adaptive suspension? I found that makes a huge difference to the handling (in sport mode).
No mate, that’s a rare option and I knew I would switch to coilovers anyway

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Sort of wish I had the red one now when I had mine - there was one available but I bottled it, mainly as all the other cars at home were red (not by choice!).
Easily the "best" car I have owned, but not my favourite one. However I would have another one.

I do have a genuine boot liner that I am not in a need of and wanting to get rid....there is an advert in the for sale section somewhere for it

No mate, that’s a rare option and I knew I would switch to coilovers anyway
It's a rare option as the dealers tell you that you don't need it. I put my foot down and told them I am having it when had mine. Same with the 3 door too.

Snotter's
Love that colour, don't see many about, assume it's an auto? interested to see how you think it compares to the Cupra speed wise?
Cheers, yeh 8 speed ZF. Good box but prefer my old 7 speed DSG with the TVS software.

it’s a tad quicker in gear and up top pulls really hard. Once I fit the Downpipe, go stage 2 and flash the gearbox software it should be around 450bhp and much quicker than the Cupra on the move

Snotter's
Sort of wish I had the red one now when I had mine - there was one available but I bottled it, mainly as all the other cars at home were red (not by choice!).
Easily the "best" car I have owned, but not my favourite one. However I would have another one.

I do have a genuine boot liner that I am not in a need of and wanting to get rid....there is an advert in the for sale section somewhere for it

It's a rare option as the dealers tell you that you don't need it. I put my foot down and told them I am having it when had mine. Same with the 3 door too.
It’s Sunset Orange but can look red.

when I worked for BMW I said the same thing 😂😂

will have a search for the liner, where are you located?

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
It’s Sunset Orange but can look red.

when I worked for BMW I said the same thing 😂😂

will have a search for the liner, where are you located?
That is the orange?! My mistake. Certainly doesn't look it in that picture. And yes I would have the orange too if I were to have another. The grey was nice but it was a little bland after a while.

I am in Gloucester, can post if needed.

340i
Looks great, I have a 340i... Been looking at coilover options myself, but I have adaptive suspension and love the functionality. The M3/M4 front LCA and tension strut upgrade seems popular, giving an additional degree of negative camber.

The B58 engines are a peach and so easy to make power!

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Cheers, yeh 8 speed ZF. Good box but prefer my old 7 speed DSG with the TVS software.

it’s a tad quicker in gear and up top pulls really hard. Once I fit the Downpipe, go stage 2 and flash the gearbox software it should be around 450bhp and much quicker than the Cupra on the move
XHP is supposed to make big difference on a mapped 140, so you should see a nice change with it, i love the auto in mine, but i have never driven a DSG, i wasn't sure if it would feel slower than the Cupra, if yours has a std exhaust get a back box mod, cheap and gives them a lovely sound.

Snotter's
Looks great, I have a 340i... Been looking at coilover options myself, but I have adaptive suspension and love the functionality. The M3/M4 front LCA and tension strut upgrade seems popular, giving an additional degree of negative camber.

Would have liked a 340i but didn’t want to go older than a 19 plate and was to tight to pay the luxury car tax 😂

Snotter's
XHP is supposed to make big difference on a mapped 140, so you should see a nice change with it, i love the auto in mine, but i have never driven a DSG, i wasn't sure if it would feel slower than the Cupra, if yours has a std exhaust get a back box mod, cheap and gives them a lovely sound.
Stock it was slower but even stage 1 they fly, estimated around 410-420 bhp!

my car has the PPF so it’s very muted, will see what it sounds like with the decat and go from there

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Very nice 😁

They make a great daily, the B58 is immense...and I've come to realise that the ZF8 is a must.

If mine had a ZF8 I'd probably have forgiven its shortcomings, it really suits the nature of the car, but then I'd never have bought with an auto in the first place.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
That does look a lot like Melbourne red in the picture! No doubt Sunset Orange is a stunning colour.

I've got adaptive suspension on mine and in hindsight I would have kept the 700ish quid in my pocket and got coilovers as well.

Seems like you're getting it pretty well sorted, looking forward to upgrades and how you're getting on with them!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member

Thoughts on the 340i? I keep looking at 340i tourings - seems like a good family compromise. Have heard they are a bit numb in stock form but the M3 LCA etc sharpens them up nicely?

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Very nice 😁

They make a great daily, the B58 is immense...and I've come to realise that the ZF8 is a must.

If mine had a ZF8 I'd probably have forgiven its shortcomings, it really suits the nature of the car, but then I'd never have bought with an auto in the first place.
Can I read this right?! You admit these need the auto over the manual at last? 🤣

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Can I read this right?! You admit these need the auto over the manual at last? 🤣

You did! I bought the manual thinking it would be at least semi engaging to drive and was left early on, as many others have been also, realising they're not.

As a mini GT car though, and with the ZF8 especially, they're fabulous things.

I was picked up by Reg last week in his and as I sat there and watching him, reclined and with both arms sat on the arm rests just letting the car do the work while we rolled along at pace, it all made sense.

I've said this before but I bought mine believing that compared to the full on M cars they'd be like Ford's ST is to the RS. There reality is they're more like a Zetec.

340i
Thoughts on the 340i? I keep looking at 340i tourings - seems like a good family compromise. Have heard they are a bit numb in stock form but the M3 LCA etc sharpens them up nicely?

I've had it almost a year... Even in stock form is covers ground ridiculously well, with the B58 / ZF8 combo. It's effortless to do silly speeds.

Saying that, I've never had that itch / sensation to jump in the car for a random drive like previous Renaultsports etc. You're correct with the numb feeling, it's a good car, but doesn't GRAB you. I am at a cross-roads now, either sell up and move onto something else (Not sure what!)... Or spend some money improving the car.

Mine is a F30 340i LCI, Msport Plus (All the desirable options), FBMWSH, 38K miles.

340i.jpg

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Love this! Had my heart on a M240i, drove it yesterday and wasn't that impressed!
Think I'm going to just keep the Cupra.

If I was going to get one this would 100% be the colour I'd be going for.

Snotter's
Love this! Had my heart on a M240i, drove it yesterday and wasn't that impressed!

In standard form I didn’t enjoy the car and thought about getting rid.
Now I’m getting used to it and with a few mods I find myself driving it more and more.

Ive always said the Cupra is great out of the box, the 140 not so much

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I've had it almost a year... Even in stock form is covers ground ridiculously well, with the B58 / ZF8 combo. It's effortless to do silly speeds.

Saying that, I've never had that itch / sensation to jump in the car for a random drive like previous Renaultsports etc. You're correct with the numb feeling, it's a good car, but doesn't GRAB you. I am at a cross-roads now, either sell up and move onto something else (Not sure what!)... Or spend some money improving the car.

Mine is a F30 340i LCI, Msport Plus (All the desirable options), FBMWSH, 38K miles.

View attachment 1542698
Think it looks a great car! Money aside - do you regret having this over an M3/M4?

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
In standard form I didn’t enjoy the car and thought about getting rid.
Now I’m getting used to it and with a few mods I find myself driving it more and more.

Ive always said the Cupra is great out of the box, the 140 not so much
That's interesting to hear. You sound like you've spent a fair whack already to get it at a place where it's more enjoyable too!

340i
Think it looks a great car! Money aside - do you regret having this over an M3/M4?

I did consider an F80 M3 but the S55 reliability issues put me off, with the addition of 'M-Tax' on everything ha.

I also love the 340i inconspicuousness... "Is that diesel too", "We've got the same car, 320i yeah"... The best one at Shell, by some random 3 series owner "Hiya mate, just letting you know your exhaust is blowing I think" 😆

Sorry for spamming your thread @SOHROB 💕

HenryG

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 cup
Iv have had my m140 for 8 months and love it, the specs very, mine has some nice options which makes all the difference, I wouldnt have enjoyed a poverty spec one. The numb steering feel is evident but i don't think the car as a hole lacks character, a friends golf r feels bland in comparison. I have an M Performance exhaust which cold start aside is an excellent addition, brings the B58 to life.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I did consider an F80 M3 but the S55 reliability issues put me off, with the addition of 'M-Tax' on everything ha.

I also love the 340i inconspicuousness... "Is that diesel too", "We've got the same car, 320i yeah"... The best one at Shell, by some random 3 series owner "Hiya mate, just letting you know your exhaust is blowing I think" 😆

Sorry for spamming your thread @SOHROB 💕
Yes sorry for off topic! Although in my head the 340 and 140 should be pretty similar cars.

Gray, cheers for the replies! My search history is pretty full of 140i and 340i at the moment which suggests one is on the cards 🤣 I've always said that the car just below the M is usually the better daily choice (so 340i over M3) however the choice is coming down to an early M4 slightly up on miles or a 2017 ish 340i as both seem to be in the same ball park price wise. I know which will be cheaper to own!

I would actually really like an M2 comp but they are out of budget.

@SOHROB is the downpipe to remove the primary cat?

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
You've bought one of the best colours, never see them on the road they're all either Black, White or Blue.

I love my 340, Bilsteins made a massive difference to how it drives. However, can't believe a diff isn't even a consideration with that power increase, mine would be way better with one but house is more important at the moment. Tbh I've never felt the need to have more power (even though I have the MPPSK so it's 355hp now), it bloody shifts when I want it to, sorry I sound like a boring c**t.

20210401_175432.jpg

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
You've bought one of the best colours, never see them on the road they're all either Black, White or Blue.

I love my 340, Bilsteins made a massive difference to how it drives. However, can't believe a diff isn't even a consideration with that power increase, mine would be way better with one but house is more important at the moment. Tbh I've never felt the need to have more power (even though I have the MPPSK so it's 355hp now), it bloody shifts when I want it to, sorry I sound like a boring c**t.

View attachment 1542708
That looks lovely mate..:love:

Looks great, guy in work has one in the same color and loves it too, it has some plug in box thing and says it absolutely rockets. I always find myself looking at the 1 series M lites to replace my F30 330d but I just don't know....yeah it would be quicker but the N57/ZF8 combo of the 330d is just so nice for how I use the car, which is mostly commuting, plus the 50mpg is great. The downside to the 3 series is its a bit dull in the bends, and not something I ever feel the need to drive for pleasure.

Defo will own a 35/40 at some point though. Maybe if i had to get rid of the track car and find something that could do both commuting with occasional track use. Saying that I think the Leon Cupra would do a the duel role better out the box, so maybe I wont own one :LOL:

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I keep looking at this because its very local to me:

But I'm quite set on an auto estate. Has anyone driven a 140i and 340i, were they especially different to drive? My other thinking on hunting for a 340i is that I think a lot of the 140's have been given a hard time while a 340 might have had a gentler life?

340i

But I'm quite set on an auto estate. Has anyone driven a 140i and 340i, were they especially different to drive? My other thinking on hunting for a 340i is that I think a lot of the 140's have been given a hard time while a 340 might have had a gentler life?

I am certain that one for-sale 12+ months ago when I was looking... Not a great spec IMO.

- No ProNav.
- Manual seats.
- Smaller wheels.
- Unpainted Msport calipers.
- Cream leather, meh.

Apart from that it's great 😁

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I am certain that one for-sale 12+ months ago when I was looking... Not a great spec IMO.

- No ProNav.
- Manual seats.
- Smaller wheels.
- Unpainted Msport calipers.
- Cream leather, meh.

Apart from that it's great 😁
Yes I think its been for sale forever. I had come to a similar conclusion, pretty pov sepc - no heated seats either. I don't actually mind the cream but know its not everyone's cuppa. Its a really odd spec actually but nice low miles - the small nav screen would piss me off I think too.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i

If you go on BabyBM you will find a lot of 140 owners are older and tend to look after their cars, i am not saying they don't drive them hard, but they do seem to look after their cars.

Something i never thought of before getting mine, heated seats are great in the winter, and electric seats are great if your missus drives the car, save loads of f**king about.

You can retro fit better Nav, and it's not too expensive.

Looks great, guy in work has one in the same color and loves it too, it has some plug in box thing and says it absolutely rockets. I always find myself looking at the 1 series M lites to replace my F30 330d but I just don't know....yeah it would be quicker but the N57/ZF8 combo of the 330d is just so nice for how I use the car, which is mostly commuting, plus the 50mpg is great. The downside to the 3 series is its a bit dull in the bends, and not something I ever feel the need to drive for pleasure.

Defo will own a 35/40 at some point though. Maybe if i had to get rid of the track car and find something that could do both commuting with occasional track use. Saying that I think the Leon Cupra would do a the duel role better out the box, so maybe I wont own one :LOL:

An f20 is no more fun than an f30 in any situation tbh.

Told you. 😉