ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M543 WDY - Mk1 F4R Track Car

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Right, heres another one!

I bought this on a whim last week with the initial intention of using the heart of the beast for the turbo and dare I say it, getting rid of boost.

So the plan was to strip this for parts, sell the shell rolling and keep the engine/box/wiring for GTT, sell the turbo gear and make some cash.

However, after one last spin out in GTT I just can’t part with boost, it makes me laugh too much and I just can’t imagine GTT without a turbo tbh. So plans have changed.

The firm idea now is to strip GTT of all its track goodies, and return it to a standard (ish) valver with standard (hopefully 19 16v leather) interior and a few subtle tweaks on the suspension and brakes to keep the 300 odd mad French ponies reigned in!

as such, I need a track car........which is where Woody comes in (WDY in case you didn't get it ;-) )

I will be putting the cage/plastic windows/CF door cards and other bits and bats onto this shell over the next few months. Brakes will stay as they are, I can lock up all 4 wheels as it is so no need for anything more for now unless it starts to let me down on track.

So here he is as bought the other week, warts and all with the orange bits :-( lol! pics are from eBay advert earlier this year but cars same

Clio1_zpse95115e5.jpg

Clio2_zpsacdeba91.jpg

Clio6_zps37d5ad44.jpg

Clio7_zps76b25e4c.jpg

Had a quick spin out and the car feels very tight and very pleasant to drive. I’m loving power steering again, been ages since had it on a mk1. So I think that'll be staying with the addition of a catch tank for the overflow in the scuttle.

Only major issue with the car is the darn idle, it won’t sit at 1000, runs from 1500 to 2000 all the time and I’ve changed all the usual suspects bar the TPS, so that’s next once I’ve double checked the inlet for leaks.

When I got the car, the front grills weren’t fitted (bonnet and front itself) but were all supplied so I fitted the front grill and then looked over the bonnet one. This wouldn’t fit as the coilpack on the F4R was in the way, as was the pikie hacked up rain cover. There was another issue with this, the weight of the bonnet had been rubbing the whole assembly and causing the HT leads to arc and misfire. So first job was to relocate the coil and lead runs to stop this and enable me to fit the bonnet grill.

Little bracket to the radiator later, and done!

DSC_4190_zps2d54249d.jpg

DSC_4191_zps2b9f8f1e.jpg

DSC_4192_zps0c611789.jpg

So that’s cured the misfire but not the idle issue, further investigations to be carried out this week/weekend!

The rear bulkhead area was a right mess of tubes/pipes and wires as well and the heat shield was held on at a stupid angle with like 1 zip tie and a bolt pushed loosely through a hole. I stripped the lot off and rerouted all the pipework, found the power steering pipe had been sat on the manifold pretty much, not gone through but will probably want swapping at some point. I wrapped it in heat wrap and then fitted the heatshield back in place properly with the correct mounting point etc so it covers the pipework again as it should, all sorted!

The car also came with some eibach 172 springs, which may or may not be suitable for GTT, here they are next to what I think are crappy apex springs, bit of a difference!!lol!!

I also want to do the cambelt, or at least check it as I have no idea when it was last done, all I have in the paperwork is a receipt for a 2000 plate 172 having a belt change in 2007, guessing that was the donor car, so if it’s not been done since, it want it!

DSC_4188_zps2d48542c.jpg

Little list of stuff to do:

- Fix idle issue
- Fit polycarb windows
- Paint interior (unsure on colour, probably white)
- Fit cage + welded plates to mount it
- Fit cf doorcards
- Fit short shift kit
- Paint orange bits not orange
- Fit solid top mounts to the avo’s
- Sell willy wheels and pop the RSR clad superlegs on
- Give it a wash and a vac out inside as theres stuff rattling all over!lol!
- Fit a fuel line guard if it’ll go on
- Sort the bonnet stay as there isn’t one
- Sort a new sunroof motor as the one on its shot and the roof leaking as it won’t
pull closed tight.

So that’s the plan, watch this space

2LTR 16V TURBO CLIO!
I was watching this last year would you sell it bud? (or the turbo)

Right, heres another one!

I bought this on a whim last week with the initial intention of using the heart of the beast for the turbo and dare I say it, getting rid of boost.

So the plan was to strip this for parts, sell the shell rolling and keep the engine/box/wiring for GTT, sell the turbo gear and make some cash.

However, after one last spin out in GTT I just can’t part with boost, it makes me laugh too much and I just can’t imagine GTT without a turbo tbh. So plans have changed.

The firm idea now is to strip GTT of all its track goodies, and return it to a standard (ish) valver with standard (hopefully 19 16v leather) interior and a few subtle tweaks on the suspension and brakes to keep the 300 odd mad French ponies reigned in!

as such, I need a track car........which is where Woody comes in (WDY in case you didn't get it ;-) )

I will be putting the cage/plastic windows/CF door cards and other bits and bats onto this shell over the next few months. Brakes will stay as they are, I can lock up all 4 wheels as it is so no need for anything more for now unless it starts to let me down on track.

So here he is as bought the other week, warts and all with the orange bits :-( lol! pics are from eBay advert earlier this year but cars same

Clio1_zpse95115e5.jpg

Clio2_zpsacdeba91.jpg

Clio6_zps37d5ad44.jpg

Clio7_zps76b25e4c.jpg

Had a quick spin out and the car feels very tight and very pleasant to drive. I’m loving power steering again, been ages since had it on a mk1. So I think that'll be staying with the addition of a catch tank for the overflow in the scuttle.

Only major issue with the car is the darn idle, it won’t sit at 1000, runs from 1500 to 2000 all the time and I’ve changed all the usual suspects bar the TPS, so that’s next once I’ve double checked the inlet for leaks.

When I got the car, the front grills weren’t fitted (bonnet and front itself) but were all supplied so I fitted the front grill and then looked over the bonnet one. This wouldn’t fit as the coilpack on the F4R was in the way, as was the pikie hacked up rain cover. There was another issue with this, the weight of the bonnet had been rubbing the whole assembly and causing the HT leads to arc and misfire. So first job was to relocate the coil and lead runs to stop this and enable me to fit the bonnet grill.

Little bracket to the radiator later, and done!

DSC_4190_zps2d54249d.jpg

DSC_4191_zps2b9f8f1e.jpg

DSC_4192_zps0c611789.jpg

So that’s cured the misfire but not the idle issue, further investigations to be carried out this week/weekend!

The rear bulkhead area was a right mess of tubes/pipes and wires as well and the heat shield was held on at a stupid angle with like 1 zip tie and a bolt pushed loosely through a hole. I stripped the lot off and rerouted all the pipework, found the power steering pipe had been sat on the manifold pretty much, not gone through but will probably want swapping at some point. I wrapped it in heat wrap and then fitted the heatshield back in place properly with the correct mounting point etc so it covers the pipework again as it should, all sorted!

The car also came with some eibach 172 springs, which may or may not be suitable for GTT, here they are next to what I think are crappy apex springs, bit of a difference!!lol!!

I also want to do the cambelt, or at least check it as I have no idea when it was last done, all I have in the paperwork is a receipt for a 2000 plate 172 having a belt change in 2007, guessing that was the donor car, so if it’s not been done since, it want it!

DSC_4188_zps2d48542c.jpg

Little list of stuff to do:

- Fix idle issue
- Fit polycarb windows
- Paint interior (unsure on colour, probably white)
- Fit cage + welded plates to mount it
- Fit cf doorcards
- Fit short shift kit
- Paint orange bits not orange
- Fit solid top mounts to the avo’s
- Sell willy wheels and pop the RSR clad superlegs on
- Give it a wash and a vac out inside as theres stuff rattling all over!lol!
- Fit a fuel line guard if it’ll go on
- Sort the bonnet stay as there isn’t one
- Sort a new sunroof motor as the one on its shot and the roof leaking as it won’t
pull closed tight.

So that’s the plan, watch this space

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
no longer have this one, had it for about 2 weeks until something better came along,lol!!!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
at the moment mate no, turbo will never be for sale unless I go bankrupt or someone prises the keys from my cold dead fingers ;)

the daily is still the daily

as said this one sold as I bought JWC from Danny-ACE which is currently being built up for this years track car

I also have another mk1 in but its heart is already spoken for to go into yet another mark 1 I'm in the process of buying. lol!