ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mac's

What makes them so expensive?

I'm seeing laptops range from like £600 all the way upto £1900.

The spec's are just the same as a £600 dell.

So what warrants the extra dosh?

I know the o/s is good but is it really worth the extra cash?

I'm only asking as i've been toying with the idea of getting one over the last year but not sure I want to spend that much mullah.

Renault meggy
Maybe you pay for the stablilty or the make? I don't know. All I know is they ain't worth the money. Stick to normal laptops with windows or linux.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
What makes them so expensive?

I'm seeing laptops range from like £600 all the way upto £1900.

The spec's are just the same as a £600 dell.

So what warrants the extra dosh?

I know the o/s is good but is it really worth the extra cash?

I'm only asking as i've been toying with the idea of getting one over the last year but not sure I want to spend that much mullah.

Now take into consideration resale value. I could easily sell my 4 year old laptop G4 powerbook for £300, I'd be lucky to get a bag of peanuts and a copy of razzle for a "PC" laptop of a similar age....and don't even think of running vista on a "PC" of that age....my powerbook of course runs leopard (the latest version of mac os) perfectly.

You get what you pay for.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i use a macbook black thats over 2 years old...

you get one year apple cover on it standard, like 1 year and 11months later i had a problem where the edge of the case had cracked on it, because i dropped it, called apple explained, asked for a price for a new case... got told to take it to a mac retailer near me, (they gave me the store to go to) 2 days later i had a new case on it free of charge even though it was my own fault!

i have NEVER had it crash on me... never had to format and re install, it still performs and works SO WELL! i have SO much crap on it, it still works faster than any pc based laptop i have had!

its so simple to use, there is nothing difficult to grasp, and the only thing i have done in the time i have had it is install software and put more ram in it!!

oh and you dont get viruses! it looks sexy, works well, never goes wrong and is the most reliable computer i have ever used!!

im waiting for the new macbook pro to come out and also want a desktop system too :)

im a mac convert! i actually HATE using pc's and winblows now lol plus if you need xp or vista... with the mac os you can run windows on it too!

B

Brown.

had my mac for a year now.... still using the same battery, handles data ie large numbers of memory alot quicker then equvilent pc.....no virus's

only problem is i could not run some programs i use at work, hence i have installed xp sp3 on a seperate partition.

all i can say is try one, and you will be quickly converted.

Work day in day out as a designer with them. Fantastic to use many clever little details that massively increase output and speed such as spaces etc...

Incredibly reliable, I have owned 3 macs over the past 6 years and not one, NOT ONE has had a mechanical problem, software related problem, or a crash! Now I might have just got lucky there but that speaks volumes in my opinion.

Apart from performance the industrial design of them is fantastic, long lasting & reliable, unlike there PC equivalents. Front row and the remote is fantastic for presentations etc and the consistent compatibility of all things mac astounds me! For example: I plug my laptop into my speaker in my lounge, as long as it is connected to my wireless I can use my iphone to explore & control the music. When we have mates round we just pass the iphone round too choose the music. Apple works hard to make the most complicated computer based tasks so simple its unbelievable. That why they cost so much more.

One other thing - sold my 3 year old powerbook for £500 few months back. Bought top spec back in the day 17inch, 2GB RAM etc... try doing that with a Windows piece of cr*p.

+ when ever you do a presentation in a darkened room, you open the lid on the mac and the Apple glows telling everyone your the sh*t haha ;)

just kidding - I'm not actually a kn8b

306 TD Slut
+1 for tampons last statement.

I was at FOWD conference earlier this year, you knew who was cool and who wasnt! Just look for the Apple.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
oh and you dont get viruses!

lol...

I have been running the same PC for about 5 years (since it's last upgrade/install) and haven't had a virus... Maybe it's secretly a mac?

I should point out it's not ;) Because my blood pressure isn't rising as I use it. I f**king hate Macs (the whole interface).

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
pmsl . i love the ras. where is crazy clio to pwn next?

RB Clio 182
I bought a mac book pro last year and never looked back, easily the most efficient and problem free laptop i have owned!

306 TD Slut
i cant seem to get my mouse to be as quick as it is on a pc, slightly annoying, but still have two macs.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
how is the mac interface different? i once used a mac back in 1992 iirc. can someone enlighten me to what is so different about it? one click mouse is all i know about?

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
My i mac is 5 years old now and still runs perfectly, i did an update on the os a few months ago and it runs faster than before! Try that on a pc!
Id never go back to PCs now, windows mobile on my samsung phone is bad enough!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Only retards hate the MAC interface

Shut it you!

how is the mac interface different? i once used a mac back in 1992 iirc. can someone enlighten me to what is so different about it? one click mouse is all i know about?

Ok.. For the purposes of going on CS it's hardly different (bar a few shortcuts you might want from the keyboard)

But the rest of it... ? Each to their own imo.

My i mac is 5 years old now and still runs perfectly, i did an update on the os a few months ago and it runs faster than before! Try that on a pc!
Id never go back to PCs now, windows mobile on my samsung phone is bad enough!

Windows mobile I agree is shocking. Maybe it'll get there one day.

Wheres best place to purchase a mac laptop?

Needs to be wireless, have plenty of storage space, copy cd/dvd's and mainly just used for web browsing.

Any suggestions on which mac is best suited to my needs?

Wheres best place to purchase a mac laptop?

Needs to be wireless, have plenty of storage space, copy cd/dvd's and mainly just used for web browsing.

Any suggestions on which mac is best suited to my needs?

Macbook
apple.com/uk/thestore

Altho, wait another couple of weeks.. new ones might/will probably be out :)

I'm not wanting to spend anymore than £700-800 so brand new spec ones may be out the question as too expensive.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i have used my 13 inch macbook black to do photo work on, its fine! i prefer it to 15" pc laptops by miles, they feel SOOOO much more substantial and put together than pc laptops too! it feels solid...

will be getting a new macbook pro though!

and you only need one mouse button, if you need to r****d right click press the option button or if using a macbook, stick 2 fingers on the trackpad and hit the 1 button same thing...

mac os is perfect everything is in the right place, everything is simple! even my mum can use them and she has used pcs for over 20 years!

B

Brown.

i use a mouse with left and right click.....works just like pc.....

LY 182 FF CUPPED
me too - I use a Diamond back Razer mounted on a black glass pad on the slowest setting

Much more accurate for PS work

Rusty Cup
I love this argument :D and im pretty sure it'll never go away mainly because people that buy pc's for £299 think there getting a good deal, the reality is they will never know the years of error free, virus free, stress free computing a mac will deliver.

I work for Apple but grew up with pc's and im glad there are pc users that dont like mac, they dont deserve the joy that mac users experience.

The main reason mac computers are more expensive is because the software you get with them, ilife, itunes, safari, ichat, isync, airport utility, disk utility is all made by Apple so it all works seamlessly.

The operating system has 5gb's of print drivers just in case you plug in a printer!!

Dont buy anything yet because on the 14th loads of new stuff is coming out wahoo cant wait!!

Laters