ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

manifold to cat spring joint

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
in the middle of changing the gasket but the kit has more parts than the one i took off.

took off nut, cap and spring.

have 2 extra washers per side in the new kit. are they necessary or for use on alternative vehicles?

clio 182FF
in the middle of changing the gasket but the kit has more parts than the one i took off.

took off nut, cap and spring.

have 2 extra washers per side in the new kit. are they necessary or for use on alternative vehicles?

I have changed mine today also! I believe the extra two washers you are on about should be fitted and they should be placed after the cat and before the springs. Someone correct me if i am wrong though...

I havent finished mine off yet either, my cat is now hanging lower down and the seal doesnt seem right. The gasket change is definitely the fix i needed as the old gasket was not protruding out of the cat at all. I think i need to have a play about and wiggle the cat around as i think the bracket from the cat to centre pipe is not sitting on square anymore so that could be doing it.

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
i fitted it and all sealing. didnt fit the extra pieces. it was a git to fit as it was. cant hold them on and get the nut on. who would buy french cars !!!

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
one steel and one fibre that looks to profile the inside of the cap... i didnt fit them

just noticed the steel washers have a bite taken out of them...

Clio 172
I think I have the same problem, it's blowing from this area. What's the easiest way of replacing this gasket? Hope to do it next weekend. I'm pretty good with mechanics but this seems to be a sod of a job

Clio 172
Mine looks verry different to yours, the join is from the top of the cat to the manifold, its a real pain where it is I can't even get my hand to touch the join Help

clio 182FF
Mine looks verry different to yours, the join is from the top of the cat to the manifold, its a real pain where it is I can't even get my hand to touch the join Help

Im not sure exactly what you mean here. It is a bit of a pain though, knocking the old washer type things out i found the hardest bit as well as getting the new ones in and getting the cat to line up nicely and flush.

I am also unsure if people every use the high temp silicone stuff to further seal this joint? All the horrible blowing noise has now gone from mine but im sure there is a very slight bit now and then under certain conditions but its nothing much at all, that is even if it is there as its hard to tell!

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
just looked at that link and see the difference between the phase 1 and the later models ! anyone having problems with theirs should look at phase 1 owners and give them so sympathy. mine managed to seal perfectly so leave it for the moment with a view to add the missing washers at a later date......

Clio 172
basically my join between the cat and the manifold is higher up. seems like my manifold is shorter and the cat is longer with a bend in it. i have no idea how im going to get in there, im not very familiar with renaults

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
all 172's have the shorter 4-1 manifold. The 182 manifold is MUCH easier to get to for this.

I wouldn't want to do a 172 without a ramp, it's enough of an arse with one