ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's 2017 Ford Focus RS

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I will take you up on this :up:

It will be good to see what you think as you are a past fiesta st owner and by luck or good judgement I think it is a dam good drive now it is finished .

I have just had a good afternoon with a friend in his fk2 civic type r And down the B2166 runcton to Chichester and he thinks it's a bit of a monster even in my hands with my tiny driving talent but would be good to see what it can do in the hands of someone with some driving skill :)

Do you have any plans for the focus RS and a mountune upgrade ?

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
When are you going to get the back end out properly?? I can get my Megane more sideways lol!
The difference here is the back moves out under power, not lift off oversteer...and to get serious angle in an RS you've got to drive like a total hooligan with little mechanical sympathy or regard for the law. Appreciate I've not met Mark but those 3 things don't seem to fit.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It will be good to see what you think as you are a past fiesta st owner and by luck or good judgement I think it is a dam good drive now it is finished .

I have just had a good afternoon with a friend in his fk2 civic type r And down the B2166 runcton to Chichester and he thinks it's a bit of a monster even in my hands with my tiny driving talent but would be good to see what it can do in the hands of someone with some driving skill :smile:

Do you have any plans for the focus RS and a mountune upgrade ?

I had a minor wobble recently when I was thinking, yep, let's get this done, FPM375...then I came to my senses and realised that it really doesn't need it, that I'd much rather leave the money in the bank, and that to the true RS fanatic that I want to sell my car to in a decade or more's time...even though it's warranty friendly a Mountune enhanced car is not standard.

So, no, it's staying standard.

Hmmm, Evo Mag reckon the Quaife equipped RS Edition thingy is what it should have had a standard.

It makes it a far more capable car...but...and all the reviews hint toward this...it makes it a bit less fun at sane speeds.

The beauty of the car as it comes (without the front diff) is that the front end is limited under power, the car knows this, so drives itself from the rear to counteract the front end 'weakness'...this is what makes it such a hoot as it's always moving the back.

Stick a front diff in there and the back doesn't need to do as much as the front hauls itself around...so the playful element provided from the rear, while still there, only really shows itself when you're doing really silly things.

When are you going to get the back end out properly?? I can get my Megane more sideways lol!

I did get some proper angles...honest...but the Forum Police on STOC and RSOC take down any video they deem to promote anything even slightly irresponsible...so this one was edited down to some of the more minor twitches.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Good video mark. The first half of the video went on a bit though!

Also what’s the ride like? Seems you’re bouncing about in there quite a bit

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Good video mark. The first half of the video went on a bit though!

Also what’s the ride like? Seems you’re bouncing about in there quite a bit

Noted...it's kind of relevant for the 'community' though...although not so much now that FSA letters have started landing on door mats.

The ride is choppy! I get criticised a lot for constantly working the wheel...the reality is I'm doing no such thing...I'm just bouncing around so much that, as I always have both hands at a quarter to three, it looks like I'm putting almost continual correction inputs in. It doesn't help being on bumpy Sussex downs B-roads either.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Noted...it's kind of relevant for the 'community' though...although not so much now that FSA letters have started landing on door mats.

The ride is choppy! I get criticised a lot for constantly working the wheel...the reality is I'm doing no such thing...I'm just bouncing around so much that, as I always have both hands at a quarter to three, it looks like I'm putting almost continual correction inputs in. It doesn't help being on bumpy Sussex downs B-roads either.

I suppose if I owned one it want to hear your ramblings! I jest.

Yeah I’d agree with that. I had a Megane 275 and it was the same when I come to think of it. The ride was horrendous. Folk used to ask ‘is your car broken’

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Was the RS sold world wide or just the US/UK & Poland? Never watched the rest of that video mate, the jumper was too much :(

HTH x

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Was the RS sold world wide or just the US/UK & Poland? Never watched the rest of that video mate, the jumper was too much 😧

HTH x

It does, more than you know.

34,034 have been built from start to end...but I couldn't comment or speculate on the FSA status in every country it was sold in!

Scary number for Ford...I reckong that's circa 25,000 cars that need a new head gasket at a minimum, maybe even a replacement head as well.

That's a $40m f*** up by someone then!

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Not when I filmed this one. If it was there'd have been times when I'd have cleared the seat base.
Must admit, i thought you were as the steering wheel was properly moving around (as were you) and i don't ever recall it being quite that bad in mine?!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Must admit, i thought you were as the steering wheel was properly moving around (as were you) and i don't ever recall it being quite that bad in mine?!

Broken roads that are long overdue a complete skim and resurface. On conventional, commuting to work, roads it's firm but nothing like this.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Broken roads that are long overdue a complete skim and resurface. On conventional, commuting to work, roads it's firm but nothing like this.
If it wasn't you'd need to buy shares in the local chiropractor! Bearing in mind your mileage now, how are your tyres holding up?

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
He's working on a white Evo, I think it's he's own.
Yes mate he's on MLR a lot. Stripping it all down, i think. Some pikey in a Nivara tried to ram him off the road recently, though. Buckled the front fender and smashed the alloy up.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
@MarkCup did you ever do the MK2 V MK3 comparison video, just looked and I cannot find it.

Not yet. Pete's a merchant seaman so he's offshore quite a lot...twice now we've had to cancel dates because of the weather or him finding himself shipped away somewhere at very short notice. The current plan is June/July time.

I did, however, get to spend a good amount of time behind the wheel of Gordon's 440 again on Sunday now he's had the M performance exhaust fitted and a cheeky remap. I let him drive mine this time too...a video of that is currently work-in-progress - I have a lot of footage to edit.

lol, yeah heard multiple owners say there's literally zero point to that setting even on track.

I actually don't find it all that bad. I think around Goodwood which has a nice surface it should be OK. Will it be better? For me I doubt it...I like body roll and feel.

If it wasn't you'd need to buy shares in the local chiropractor! Bearing in mind your mileage now, how are your tyres holding up?

They're good...basically I have 3mm on the front axle and 5mm on the back. A swap around, a couple of thousand more road miles, and a trackday and they'll be done. Much as I want to stick to OEM all the way with Michelin Pilot SuperSports I keep hearing good things about the PilotSport 4 tyres so I may give them a bash after the trackday.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Those Bridgestones were up there with one of the worst tyres I’ve ever had, I still don’t know how you liked them

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've had PSS and PS4 on the m lite now but I wouldn't want to stick my neck out and say which was better.

PSS are great tyres, but itsi fact they're relatively old now and PS4 are new so one would assume they're going to be better. I don't think you'd go wrong with either. I do think the PS4 feel better in the wet than the PSS ever did.