ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's Fiesta ST

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
What's the main diffrence between the 1 and 2 except the seats

In the focus?

you can't spec anything on an st1, apart from maybe the city pack (folding mirrors and parking sensors) so no st colours as paint is extra. You get no heated windscreen, no climate control iirc. St1 is pointless when for an extra £2k you get loads more with the option of adding more

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
We'll I've just ordered, ST-3, Race red, Style pack. Excited! Proper bargain to.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
MarkCup

I have my first track day in our ST on Saturday. I'm curious to hear what tyre pressures you ran when you've done your track days in your ST?

Did you stick with the standard pressures ie. did you keep them at 36 front 26 back when hot? Or did you go lower?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It dawned on me this morning that I've had this thing for almost a year already!

Remarkably, I still feel as though I own a 'new' car and get just as fired up about going for a blast (which I still do quite often just for the hell of it) as I did 18,000 miles ago.

Full write up with charts, graphs, tables and sh*t to follow on 1st June when it reaches its birthday but, for now, the love affair continues LOL

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
any new car videos mate? not seen any for a while?

Work-in-progress.

Gave it its first hand clean today for about 6 months.

:eek:

You can see how the sun really brings the colour out. Love it.

IMG_20140518_181705_zpsdviztswy.jpg

IMG_20140518_181645_zpsdxemujrv.jpg

IMG_20140518_181629_zps8hmpw0wk.jpg

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
So here I am, one year and 18,542 miles down the line, and the ST so far has been exceptional. With the prospect of another four years and 80k miles still to go in it I couldn't be happier.

Highlights for me? The seats. The steering (quick rack!). The voice control SYNC system. The economy.

Negatives? A few very minor internal rattles. Beyond that I genuinely can't fault it at all.

On to the costs and what's happened over the past 12 months...notable events include;

20 July - 2,735 miles, puncture repaired
10 Aug - 3,800 miles, Goodwood trackday; brakes were a surprise, had a good solid pedal all day long
31 Aug - 4,700 miles, Surrey Rolling Road; standard, 202.9 bhp
18 Oct - 7,248 miles, complete passenger door mirror unit replaced; f***ing random bird!
22 Jan - 11,947 miles, Mountune MP215; more oomph with a much sharper throttle response and full warranty, why wouldn't you?
8 Feb - 12,900 miles, Surrey Rolling Road; Mountuned, 216.5 bhp
15 Feb - 13,255 miles, standard 1st service
5 April - 15,700 miles, touch-up kit; to address the mother of all stone chips right on the leading edge of the bonnet
26 April - 16,787 miles, tyres x4; fitted the OEM Bridgestone RE050 again, apart from being poor below 5 degrees I find them really very good

Economy has been good overall but disappointing in that I've never yet been able to hit the published combined figure of 47.9 mpg. I could achieve the combined figure for my Clio 200 but can't in this. The official test must flatter the little boosted low friction motor as no matter what I try I can't get there. Before I filled up yesterday I covered 132 miles in max-economy mode, coasting to a halt almost everywhere...I set a new PB (LOL) but it was still short at 47.47 mpg. Regardless, an average of 40 mpg is pretty ridiculous in something that performs on a par with the late 80's Audi Quattro and Sierra RS Cosworth.

Slide1_zps8d8ff8ea.jpg

Slide3_zpsc419c5df.jpg

Slide2_zpsa2d5eb8b.jpg

Slide4_zps230b7062.jpg

20140208surreyrollingroad_zps15a8bacf.jpg

That's enough for now, I'm off out for a drive...

I must admit I'm really happy with the MPG of my ST.

Since getting it Mountuned and having done almost 3000 miles my MPG is increasing all the time and now most tanks I'm getting 42 to the gallon.

Still miss the outright acceleration of my M135i though.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
A thread on FiestaSTOC prompted me to make this...

...while I was at it I also managed to capture this...

Quite surprised at how much it holds the boost back in 1st...does explain why it feels almost as quick in 3rd though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good choice Sir. I think you got off the Renaultsport bandwagon just at the right time. No offence, and I realise of course that this is a Renault forum, but there are much better cars out there now.

I think I'll probably buy a Fiesta ST3 either later this year or early next.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Interesting on the boost front. Ford gear boxes still made of cheese or it just doesn't need it?

Gearboxes? I don't think Ford boxes have been poor since the 80s. The IB5 box ran for a decade or more and is still a work of art.

Infact they've never had cheese gearboxes.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Gearboxes? I don't think Ford boxes have been poor since the 80s. The IB5 box ran for a decade or more and is still a work of art.

Infact they've never had cheese gearboxes.

Was that a typo and it was meant to say Renault boxes?

As you say, I don't think I have ever driven a Ford with a bad gearbox.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
The IB5 had the torque limited through it in 1st in the puma, the 90ps tdci fiesta being re-mapped causes all sorts of gearbox issues as a guy in a motorclub I was in found out and I ran a BC boxes that used IB5 bearings and the limits still weren't that high. It's an ok box it just didn't have particularly high limits in my experience. Unless they have fiddled with it since I last had a car with one in. Not in comparison to the great lump in my 206 HDI that holds together far longer than it should even with idiots running stage 2 HDI torque through them. BE4/5's are only rated to 250NM and manage to hold over 350NM. Compared to an MA gearbox the IB5 is tough but that's not saying much. Shame the BE box doesn't shift like an IB5 though.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry did you just compare a 206 box to the IB5 box? REALLY?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Or are we comparing boxes for modifying? Because that would be silly would't it?

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Didn't the XR3i use the MTX75 instead of the IB5 and that only produced 120lbs/ft. I was and am still more of a Ford fan. I just run a clio cup because it is a more aggressive car standard than the fiesta ST of the same era and much cheaper to buy. When I nodded my fiesta XR2 finding a good strong gearbox was an issue including using an IB5 and getting a boxed beefed up was a must for track use or turbo charging. I'm not confusing the BC with the IB5 either.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
No I'm asking why the fiesta is not running full torque until 3rd or did I touch a nerve in your world of perfect Ford gearboxes. I don't have to worry about my 206 box exploding running 30% more torque than standard does the ST? Surely that's of interest to people for when these are out of warranty!? Yes I compared a 206 box that is as tough as nails and has been around for years in one form or another in many Citroens, peugeots and many others to a Ford box.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
But the 206 box is s**t and feels like sticking your penis in a vat of porridge.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Agreed but it refuses to die. I can live with rubbish shifts but weak gearboxes are annoying. Worrying about 3rd in the Clio and making sure I get a clean, tidy shift is the only thing I dislike about the car. Again all I asked is are they still weak. If they''re not why is the torque limited? Is it just not needed. That's all I wanted to know. Did you design the IB5 is that why your so bothered?

Leon Cupra 300
If a gearbox can handle the torque in 3rd gear then it will in 1st or 2nd.

It will be for traction reasons why it's limited in early gears.. same as my 335d, it pulled harder in 3rd than 2nd as it wasn't torque limited!