ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Master cylinder rebuild?

How did you get on with this Zach? I need to refurb my MC. It’s an Ate one. Does anyone know if the seals are the same for all the different manufacturers. I see the biggred description doesn’t mention Ate as a manufacturer.

How did you get on with this Zach? I need to refurb my MC. It’s an Ate one. Does anyone know if the seals are the same for all the different manufacturers. I see the biggred description doesn’t mention Ate as a manufacturer.

Havnt got around to it yet. I hope to be giving it ago soon, when I take my brakes apart, again :rolleyes:

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2

I contacted big red when mine failed they don’t do a kit for the ATE one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ripp This is a 172 cup mc. Im having trouble taking the 197 one apart. The 182 is the same design as the 197, both ATE and the circlip needs drilling/grinding to open them up. Once you have it open the rear piston seems to be stuck.

IMG_1157.JPG

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
You have any idea what the piston diameter is on the 197 unit?

Thx! Let us know when you're done! 👍
No problem. I really dont know how to get that piston out, Ive given it some proper wacks as well. Ive just found a new 4 port 23.8 ATE peugeot 406 mc which I think is going to be the best thing to use.

No problem. I really dont know how to get that piston out, Ive given it some proper wacks as well. Ive just found a new 4 port 23.8 ATE peugeot 406 mc which I think is going to be the best thing to use.

Did you get the piston out in the end? Mine moves freely, as in I can push it further in easily and the spring returns it easily. Tried making a hook out of a coat hanger but no luck.

For the record I have a 22mm Bosch MC in a 54plate cup packed 182.

Did you get the piston out in the end? Mine moves freely, as in I can push it further in easily and the spring returns it easily. Tried making a hook out of a coat hanger but no luck.

For the record I have a 22mm Bosch MC in a 54plate cup packed 182.
I havnt looked at it since ordering the new mc. I think it will need compressed grease but I wont be doing that anytime soon.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
I havnt looked at it since ordering the new mc. I think it will need compressed grease but I wont be doing that anytime soon.

Did you find someone selling an ATE one new?

Did you find someone selling an ATE one new?

I bought a Peugeot 406 ATE one, which is the same fitment as a 172 cup (4 port) but larger bore size of 23.8, same as 197.

stebat

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Slightly of the master cylinder... Does anyone know of a cheap/better alternative to replace the original servo/booster?

I hate looking at the rust where it's leaked/spilled in the past and want to fit a new one in the future but they seem to be expensive if bought new?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Slightly of the master cylinder... Does anyone know of a cheap/better alternative to replace the original servo/booster?

I hate looking at the rust where it's leaked/spilled in the past and want to fit a new one in the future but they seem to be expensive if bought new?
Replace it with a MK3 one. I'm sure the only difference is the mounting holes for the bulkhead. Drill new ones/file them out, job jobbed 😂

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Any MK3 tbh but just get a 197 one to make sure 😂

I'm sure the MK2 ones are pretty similar across the board, the only difference is ones that don't have ABS are slightly different iirc

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I bought a Peugeot 406 ATE one, which is the same fitment as a 172 cup (4 port) but larger bore size of 23.8, same as 197.

Hi,

how do you get on with fitting this 406 master cylinder as I'm intending going down the same route?

Regards

Tony

Hi,

how do you get on with fitting this 406 master cylinder as I'm intending going down the same route?

Regards

Tony

Well I haven't fitted it yet, have been putting all my time on the steering setup. But its simply the case of swapping them over and using m10 fittings instead of the oem m12. Not sure if its abs compatible or not but I wouldnt use it for abs.

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Thanks for the update, I'm removing the ABS but keeping the speed sensors as per 1985Michael182's build thread and 10mm fittings makes life easier