ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Maynard's 172 Track Car Project

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Yeah course you can, next time you come over to see Fred, drop me a pm and I'll pop over!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
It's been a little while since my last update.... a little bit of progress.

I noticed a whining noise on start up from cold a couple of days in a row and first thoughts were straight away alternator belt. Upon checking service history it was noticed that the car had had it's alternator belt changed twice, but no mention of the tensioner and idler being changed.

I got the bits from work and Fred @ BTM sorted it out for me one evening after work :)

This week, I got my wheels back from their refurb after my dreadful attempt of doing them myself. Again courtesy of Fred ;)

I had new PE2's fitted byt the refurbers at the same time ready for the summer! They haven't been fitted to the car yet, but here are some pictures of one of the wheels to show what they are like for now.

Wheels also had new valves, cap and weights fitted to them whilst at the refurbers.

SDC10557.jpg

SDC10558.jpg

SDC10559.jpg

A little while back I bought some spare mirror covers of a member on here with the intention of getting them sprayed at the same time as the wheels. Unfortunatly they couldn't do the covers for me, so I've started doing them myself.

First of I cleaned them up.

SDC10560.jpg

SDC10561.jpg

Next, I rubbed them down with some wet and dry.

SDC10562.jpg

SDC10563.jpg

Mirror covers were then washed down again to clean any excess of them. First coat of primer was applied and left to dry.

SDC10565.jpg

SDC10566.jpg

Then a second coat was applied and again left to dry.

SDC10567.jpg

SDC10569.jpg

This is how I've left them for now as the paint I've got, is too different to the shade of orange that I've had the wheels done in. Need to go and get some more paint to finish them off! Also I'm going to paint the standard tow eye the same colour aswell.

Will update again when I've finished painting them!

ibiza cupra
wheels look great matey. popped into your work the other week to get a coil pack but you wernt there i dont think

TrackCar & F30 330d
The wheel colour looks great mate, I miss mine looking clean and new. Should look even better with a bit of tyre shin on :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
those wheels look gorgeous

Great project and stunning car !!!

wheels look great matey. popped into your work the other week to get a coil pack but you wernt there i dont think

Just ask for me next time your in!

The wheel colour looks great mate, I miss mine looking clean and new. Should look even better with a bit of tyre shin on :)

Agreed, I'll put some on when I put them on the car!

Wheels look top, hope mine are like that too. Currently with Fred too.

Where yours turinis? What you having them done in?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Nah, F1's too.

Getting them in anthracite.

Turini's are FAR to overrated, never been apart of the Turini CS Alliance, lol.

Lol I have a set of each :)

Turinis for the road, F1's for the track.

I still love my turinis!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Finally got around to completing the mirror caps this week. Obviously took a couple of days with the drying process.

The workshop:

SDC10574.jpg

After letting the primer dry, I applied three light coats of orange paint. I left about an hour in between each coat so it could dry properly. Also I rubbed down in between each coat lightly with some 1500 wet and dry.

Then I applied a couple layers of lacquer and left to dry and harden for antoher 24 hours. When applying the lacquer I noticed there were a couple of small drip marks. Hav got around this problem by rubbing down the lacquer in the small place that the marks were, and then rubbing in some Autoglym super resin polish.

It seems to have done the trick, not a bodyshop finish, but I'm well happy with it considering they're only for track use and it was my first attempt at them!

SDC10581.jpg

SDC10580.jpg

SDC10579.jpg

The orange is slightly darker colour to my wheels, I knew they'd never be a perfect match - but no one's gonna notice!!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Update....

SDC10591.jpg

...... Well happy today, my coilovers turned up :)

I ordered some Bilstein B14 Coilovers from Kam Racing, top service from them by the way. Great communication and super fast delivery. I ordered Tuesday night and received them 9am this morning!

Some teaser pics before they get fitted hopefully in a couple of weeks time:

SDC10594.jpg

SDC10595.jpg

SDC10596.jpg

TrackCar & F30 330d
Looking good mate. Look forward to seeing the wheels, Wing mirrors & Coilies one. Should look cracking

and a little like mine ;)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
More goodies arrived today.... :)

SDC10649.jpg

SDC10651.jpg

SDC10654.jpg

An OMP WRC suede steering wheel, and a MOMO steering wheel boss to suit - all courtesy of Demon Tweeks taking advantage of their discount they have on a the moment ;)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Update......

Thanks to Gray for last week, he came down and did the majority of the work fitting my coilovers! Also a good job Fred was in work last week, the brass nuts on the front struts were air gunned on too tight previously - so there was no way we were getting them off with a spanner!

Great feel on the road, so much more planted and the stance it gives the car looks great too. We didn't mess with the height of them out of the box for the fronts and tbh we don't need to as it gives the perfect height! Fred reckons there's another 5-10 mm to come down on the back so that's another job for another day to be sorted!

SDC10850.jpg

SDC10851.jpg

SDC10852.jpg

SDC10853.jpg

SDC10855.jpg

Thanks to Fred yesterday, he fitted the steering wheel I bought a couple of weeks back.

SDC10858.jpg

SDC10859.jpg

I thought I'd whack his sticker on too today - free advertising ftw! Looks quite smart :)

SDC10862.jpg

Also, finally got the new wheels on today as well as give the car a long awaited clean.

SDC10848.jpg

SDC10849.jpg

SDC10863.jpg

SDC10865.jpg

SDC10870.jpg

SDC10872.jpg

Took the oppurtunity to a bit more weight removal too.

Bonnet sound deadening and the engine cover came out too. Saved ooh...almost nearly what 2kgs lol?! Every little helps ;)

SDC10861.jpg

SDC10860.jpg

Comments always welcome :)

340i
Looking good... You forgot to metion how you almost crushed me ;) LOL

Makes the rear look a tad "high" with the 15" on, dare I say it... The turinis suit the car better :eek:

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Looking good... You forgot to metion how you almost crushed me ;) LOL

Makes the rear look a tad "high" with the 15" on, dare I say it... The turinis suit the car better :eek:

Haha yeah, nearly the first death by clio!

Yeah it is a little high, but tbh it's much better on the back compared to the sportlines.

This was how it was at Bedford last year riding really high:

SL370178.jpg

Much better how it is now height wise, i love the turinis too :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Epic!!!! Mised this, just read it from the start! Like the coilies?!

Need a favour off you now ;)

CLIO PH1 172
wow this looks really nice love all the orange going on and good choice of coilys - but i would defently bring it down a tad front and back just like 10mm front 20mm rear ??

182 trackday racer
The rears cant go down anymore... well not on the adjusters anyway

I’m manufacturing new rear spring seats so that you can use 140-150mm race springs with 60ID in the rear instead. I will receive the first prototype this week. The car will be lower in the back and I have this Bilstein kit myself so it’s developed for the stoke of these dampers. I may be able to sell a few of them if someone is interested. Main reason is not to go lower though but to get it harder and be able to adjust spring ratios if I want to.

Bilstein front is 75N/mm standard, now I run 100N/mm front and it still rolls way to much on track. With this kit I will run 100N/mm in the rear as well + Whiteline ARB to stiffen it up. Have been looking at the ratios of Group N rally cars + some info from Öhlins and their tarmac race kit. So I know that you should run about the same ratios front and rear.

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
not overly sure yet, i know what i want to do, but it's wether funds allow ;)

yeah they're brilliant!

go on...what can i do?!

Want some measurements ;)

Need to know what the height they came out the box at. So either arch lip to wheel centres, or with the front wheel off, measure how much thread you have or something. I want to raise mine, and as Bilstein set them thats good enough for me!

340i
you bloody can, i had a right moan at wonderboy, there's another 10mm on them!

Gray + Specsavers = happy times

;)

LOL! There not threaded all the way down the adjusters... I am pretty sure I wound them all the way down then backed them off half a turn meeeh ;) I can't be perfect at everything. ;)