ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

McGherkin's 1.2 Ph.1 Lighting upgrades

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Alright, got the LED bug at the moment, and my Clio is the unfortunate recipient of this :rasp:

Yes, I know it's as high as a monster truck, and has standard bumpers e.t.c., but that's just me. I like my car to look like a slow old 1.2 because it is ;)

However, that doesn't mean you can't modernise it.

So here it is when I bought it...
Windows%20Photo%20Gallery%20Wallpapersmall.jpg

First thing to do was change out the interior light for LED - couldn't see very much with the standard one. So I got a pair of 16SMD LEDs and went to put one in the interior light. I soon found out that the power flows in opposite directions depending on how the light is turned on. So there was nothing for it but to get the soldering iron out, solder a second set in parallel (and opposite polarity), and replace in the car. Not perfect, but the slight aesthetic loss is made up for by the better qualities of the LEDs.

DSCF1502small.jpg

Next up were new headlight bulbs, Halfrauds (I needed them quick) Xenon 60/55w, whiter, 120% brighter light. Which is a good thing because the old bulbs were every type of s**t imaginable. May go try some osram nightbreakers, but my bulbs are fine at the moment.

Then the latest mod was some LED sidelights - again not expensive but an easy way to make a car look better. These pics are as of this morning ;)

DSCF1601small.jpg

DSCF1602small.jpg

Things left to do:

Get rid of what's left of the front splitter - it was a stupid thing anyway.
LED Rear Number Plate Light
LED Boot Interior Light
*possibly* LED reversing lights.

Oh, and

Clean the car.

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
Dual optics, deck it, color code and a dynamique spoiler.

Looking nice and clean the way it is. Same as my project (except yours is a lot cleaner).

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Someone with some common sense at last:

Yes, I know it's as high as a monster truck, and has standard bumpers e.t.c., but that's just me. I like my car to look like a slow old 1.2 because it is ;)

Brian should send you some Haribo or some Bounty chocs...

Dual optics make the front end look 100x better. Ph2 rear lights also much nicer IMO.

Aside from that, nice work.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks. I did consider the dual optics, but now I've splashed out on H4 headlight bulbs, it's a bit of a waste to put in headlight blocks that don't take them :p

If I get the money, and time, I'll probably do it. (Although I'm considering 100w in the full beam, if I do get dual optics)

Also can anyone tell me what my rims are? Mine are a bit wrecked.

EDIT: Mackay, it has an M on the parcel shelf, that count? :D

Not too keen on the Mk.2 lights, mine do the job fine...

I'll be at the KTEC rolling road day, not doing runs though ;)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, it would be a complicated thing to do, probably require quite a bit of modification to the cluster and special wiring, but if it plays out right, it'd be awesome. Still, that's only really a wish list item...

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Kerbed, but there are some very nasty digs out of them.

EDIT: Can't be Giraffe, mine have exposed bolts, and they seem to be straighter than those.

German V6
Gherkin's are 9 spokes and the 172 ones are 10 , they aren't standard alloys tbh i've got no idea lol.

mk2 ph1 1.4 S
the wheels you have are the standard ones off the megane "sport"

id say go 40mm drop all round, dual optics and ph2 rears...

infact just look at my old thread for idea if your stuck

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Can't find a match for those wheels anywhere... Think you may have meant these?

1072-171211-001529-1-PTIMG.jpg

Close, but no cigar.

And no point dropping the car when I live next to a road full of speed bumps. ;)

BMW 330D
your pictures look good they look like they are from a late 90s renault brochure lol put turbines on it, lower it and keep it lookin that clean!

mk2 ph1 1.4 S
nah thats not the ones i meant... im damn sure i saw a few old meganes rocking the wheels you have....

and as for speed bumps... i cleared every single one when I was on coilovers :p

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I don't want to chance it. Just spent 20 mins pulling the remains of the splitter off, looks much neater but undecided whether to put a skoda one on or just leave it.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
And this is the result...

DSCF1691small.jpg

Also the interior boot light has been replaced with LEDs. Strangely, however, there seems to be a slight current running through the main interior light at all times when it's set to doors. Therefore the interior light is dimly on at all times unless I set it to off. Any clues?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted my HIDs today. Looks better than the pics but I can't see much improvement in illumination. Fairly quick night pictures too, it just started to rain :dapprove:

DSCF1763s.jpg
DSCF1762s.jpg

DSCF1770s.jpg

DSCF1765s.jpg

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
New headlight blocks, much better. The driver's side block was broken, meaning that the headlight was pointing down and not doing much lighting. Note in the first two pics of the last post, the driver's headlight lens is visibly lower in the block.

So, out with the old ones and in with the new ones. These are all silver and original rather than the last pair which the previous owner had painted black. However they were caked and yellow and I didn't hold much hope of them polishing out, but they did. Still haven't cleaned the car since then, so apologies for the cack on the front bumper.

With that done, it was time to head down to the photo location I'd been planning for ages. These are the two best versions, can't decide on which I like more.

DSCF1779s.jpg

DSCF1778s.jpg

Currently trying to go halfway with a photoshop.

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
hi mate. does your interior light come on when you open the dor. if so do you have any advice on how to do this.
cheers

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yes. Open the spoiler for a guide ;)

Doors Open
DSCF1499.jpg

DSCF1502.jpg

Manual

Here's how they're wired up. One's wired opposite polarity to the other (put one in, set to manual on, take out and remember which way it went, then put the other in and do the same with the doors)Solder the wires at the ends of the one that won't be in the holder(mine had a hole in the end of the cone you could thread the wire through, see pic above),
DSCF1500.jpg

Then trap the wire in the holder at the ends of the other bulb like so:

DSCF1501.jpg

Renault 5 GT Turbo
another option if you want to keep a single bulb is to use a bridge rectifier, feed the wires that would go to each side of the bulb into the AC connections of the rectifier the connect the dc output to the bulb holder and fit the bulb, rectifier will then output correct polarity to the leds no matter which direction the feed into the rectifier