ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Me 182 running in, is doing me head in.

Clio Trophy #123

Nuff said.

Me 15K miles Cup was a flyer so not used to my sub 200 mile 182 yet!

I keep pulling out and nearly getting tw*tted by oncoming cars (cos I aint got the ooomph yet)! LOL

I need to put a "YOU ARE NOT IN A 172 CUP ANYMORE" sticker on the windscreen.

dont pussy foot with the running in, itll make rubbish power.

The factory oil is too slippy so gentle running in doesnt help ring seal at all.

Clio 197

Use the full rev range - guess youve probably tried, and noticed its slow.... just need to do the miles.

Ive had two 182s - the first was treated gently, and ended up being very slooooow.

This ones not been thrashed, but had been used appropriately from day1... Quick as feck!

Youll notice it getting quicker, especially after 2-3k miles, then 6-7k miles.

Lionel Richie

running in is virtually pointless on new cars

high load/ low rpm for the first 100miles

then thrash the f**k out of it

as ben said, itll make sh*tty power with a gentle first 1000miles

Mine got leathered from new and its fast as fook and doesnt drink a drop of oil. Rather it would be if it wasnt stranded at the dealers with the mechanics scratching their heads :mad:

Quote: Originally posted by Lee182 on 14 April 2005

Nuff said.

Me 15K miles Cup was a flyer so not used to my sub 200 mile 182 yet!

I keep pulling out and nearly getting tw*tted by oncoming cars (cos I aint got the ooomph yet)! LOL

I need to put a "YOU ARE NOT IN A 172 CUP ANYMORE" sticker on the windscreen.

is that because your car lacks power, or because your not revving it hard enough ??, if it the first one then i would say theres something wrong with you car

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

one thing....dont do it when its cold....make sure u let the engine wam up atleast :D

Just thrash it fromthe start, u picked my 182 up on friday its now done 482 miles & has been well thrashed.

Its starting to feel more eager every journey

I took mine steady up until 625 miles 3-4000 rpm, now Im on 2090 miles (from 1st March) and taking up to the red line :devilish:. Getting better with age..... :D

tiTTy & SV650

mines at 17,400 and flies.

I didnt stick to the run in guideline, how could you?! I didnt thrash it but took it to 6k a few times and 100+

tiTTy & SV650

its a bit dumb to rely on your warranty cause howd you know you arent causing damage which will feck your car longterm i.e. outwith warranty.

Warranty is piece of mind, not an excuse to thrash the car to death.

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by omar on 15 April 2005

^^^

True... but you do need to work the engine, to get the best out of it in the long term...

:devilish: muahahah
i dont dispute that, as said in my earlier post i worked mine but didnt thrash it.

Clio 197

See what you mean, didnt read properly.:oops:

Its very bizzare: Mine just suddenly got quicker, I would have thought if would get quicker gradually.

Did you own the cup from new? Did you notice sudden power increases?

tiTTy & SV650

mine was quick when i first drove it (with 6miles on the clock), i crapped myself when i put my foot down in 1st at a junction (it was dry).

It has got gradually quicker and is noisier too, think my exhausts blowing probably but it sound quite good!

Well I just got mine back and ragged it to within an INCH of its life...shift light in every gear. It feels like a rocket ship after the Dynamique Id been driving...oh and the temperature gauge stayed where it should, rather than bobbing up and down like a spas :p

LOTS!

Even the local Renault dealer told me that the best thing to do with a 182 was to thrash it from day one. See if you can get it in writing from them! ;)

astra break

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 15 April 2005

its a bit dumb to rely on your warranty cause howd you know you arent causing damage which will feck your car longterm i.e. outwith warranty.

Warranty is piece of mind, not an excuse to thrash the car to death.
I have 4 years warranty and will sell it at that moment. so Ill trash it the coming 3 and a half years. btw renault dealers in Belgium are very good. I already read on here its another story in the uk...

Elise/VX220/R26

I cant believe people run 182s in. Stop been gay and thrash it. Loads of us gave 172s hard run ins with no problems.

RB182cup&golf gti

all depends on how long you intend on keeping the car i guess, if youre gonna keep it a couple of years then yeah screw it and someone else can foot the bill in its later life :devilish:

Clio 197

^^

"thrashing" means different things, to different people.

My neighbour has a BMW M Z3, and changes at 4k revs.

I use my power band upto 6.5k when necessary, and he keeps telling me that Im somehow abusing my car, and that it will blow!

Depdends on what youre used to I suppose...

There are some recommendations in the 182 handbook aint there. Any idea what it says exactly. Mine is on its way........am still not sure how 2 treat it when it comes????

Ford Fiesta

Quote: Originally posted by nixontim on 15 April 2005

There are some recommendations in the 182 handbook aint there. Any idea what it says exactly. Mine is on its way........am still not sure how 2 treat it when it comes????

it says like the rest ofthe renault range, usual stuff really. Try to vary the enigine speed, keep it below 3k to 3.5k revs for first 625miles, and not above 80MPH.

At the end of the day its up to you aint it, thrash it or run it in gently.

I was gentle with mine up until 625miles then gradually used more revs up to 1000miles.

Only rev them when they are fully warm, i.e over 10 minutes driving at least.

your choice though mate...

R

rich[182]

I did the whole 625 miles run in thing but after that I wasnt bothered and just drove it how I wanted to.

I take it to 7k rpm many a time but I always allow the car to be warmed up fully beforehand

Theres a guy on our street with a Z4 who rags the arse of it from cold every morning, Now I will never do that but once warmed up what the hell !