ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

megane engine

i know this sort of topic comes up all the time so sorry for those who are getting bored of it!

was thinking about this new megane engine that will be in the megane rs turbo. well a while back i was offered one to buy, i turned it down because im thinking of going the 5gtt engine route.

its supposed to be an uprated version of the 2l vel satis turbo engine, which is probably what i was offered i while back. im not sure if it will fit in my new clio, and obviously there wont be much in the way of tuning yet. but i thought it a good idea as its a newer engine so i wouldnt have to get it rebuilt like the 5gtt, and it must have some sort of potential?

what you think? will it fit?

in which clio.........your thingy says cliosport.....but i cant see a point in putting a gtt engine in a 172....thats a crap idea.

THe turbo megane engine is just a fiddled f4r turbo from the espace, laguna, Vel satis etc. It has potential just like any turbo.

If its a newer clio then itll fit easy as pie, if you havea 172 itll plonk in with minimal fuss but sorting the management will be the more taxing part. Either mess about with the loom from a megane turbo (dunno where youll get one) make one and find a way to run that damn thing unless you want to resort to standalone management.

Its the 1.2 i have.

not sure with the management yet, will be hardest part. if i had standalone what would i be losing electrics wise (airbags?), could i "piggy back" them with the clio one, or would it just confuse the hell out of it. i would prefer something that could be more upgradable for the future when i mod the engine more.

if you junked the OE ECU you would loose ABS, climate control and any auto features it had, along with the trip etc etc.

Piggy backing your currecnt ecu just isnt good enough.

Any decent standalone system will cope with anything you throw at it.

ill get looking into this then, didnt think about the abs. would be easier to find a vel satis ecu, but i think they wont give me what i want to get out of it. other options may be ford focus turbo ecu, or the golf turbo? would that work? but then agian its trying to wire a loom in!

is there any standalone sytems you recommend?

billions, from emerald, webcon and luminition for the cheaper end, to DTA and pectel for over a grand.

You could try using a cossie webber marelli ecu.

Your gonna dump 2.0 turbo into your 1.2 shell??? They weigh more so its gonna fcuk with your handling/weight distribution m8! You also wont have all the equipment youll need to cope with that extra power...brakes anyone? It aint worth the bother.....youd be better getting something higher up the range and then tuning that (if need-be)...itd be cheaper and at least youll have a decent car under you.....

He can worry about that later..the rest of the problems will be easy compared to getting the engine in! Go get a loan and get it done son!

-Rob

As Ben says the Laguna, Vel Satis and Espace use the same engine, and yes the megane turbo engine is a development of it.

-Rob

Well i suppose its your money but i cant help thinking its gonna end up one of those unfinished projects that runs out of cash but again its your money.....

yeah, i realise about the weight so im going to have hire some hefty great hos to sit in the back everywhere i go to even it out!! :)

but back to reality, there will be things to work on, i realise that and brakes will be one of the first things after the engines in and it runs!

Hi maff,

Im quite interested in that engine actually. With the upgrade potential, its the perfect engine for a light car! Do you think I could get one through your contact?

Cheers

yeah, bit hard to get hold of. it was a few months ago they had it, so they have probably shifted it by now. although they probably have something else, if you let them know what you are looking for they will get it sooner or later!

its a renault only breakers, and they deal with loads of engines: 01254386661, and it gets delivered where you want it.

let us know how it goes, i need to save for about another six months before i can go ahead with it.