ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

meggy f1 engine into 172 cup

172 Cup
sorry if this is a reposted question, but is it possible? ive had a quick search up and the only probs i can see is fabrication work for gearbox mounts

so i was thinking, if i strip down my cup engine and use the important parts from the meggy engine to rebuild it, i should be able to avoid problems and just use the 5 speed box.

this is just an assumption so any help/experienced advice about this conversion would be much appreciated

also, are meggy f1 brembos easy to fit to the cup? i realise ill need bigger wheels unless the calipers can be mated to smaller discs

thanks

Swap 225 internals into a 172 block, bolt the 172 box to the block, fit the 225 head to the 172 block, machine a hole for a 172 cambelt kit idler/pulley then bolt all the bits on - been done a few times now!

172 Cup
Good luck fitting a 5 speed onto the 225 engine....

didnt say that anywhere in my post, said strip the 172 engine and use the meggy bits in it

Swap 225 internals into a 172 block, bolt the 172 box to the block, fit the 225 head to the 172 block, machine a hole for a 172 cambelt kit idler/pulley then bolt all the bits on - been done a few times now!

sweet this is what i was thinking :) anyone done it as a project thread on here or a guide anywhere?

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
By the time you take into consideration a headgasket set, honing the bores, maching the head for the pulley etc.... I'd be tempted to just splash out on a custom mount and run both the engine and the 225 box as well. that way it'll be more reliable and have a stronger gear box.

172 Ph1, 1972 Mini 1
If your not bothered about the time it takes probably not, you could get block skimmed and bores honed for about £ 150 or so, machining of the head for the idler pulley be a problem either really.

Head gasket set and ancillaries would probably run to £ 200 or so.

Assuming you have both engines to hand, are competent with spanners and can get the engine in and out of the car yourself it can be done relatively cheaply. Considering how expensive it is to get power from 172 engine it seems very sensible to me.

Would def have to do most of it yourself to make it pay tho i reckon.

Don't be such a killjoy Dan ;)

People have discussed the conversion for years - yet to see anyone pull their finger out and get it working!

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
it's something i considered for a short time. Wanted to put engine and box in, plus wanted lsd from the meg and possibly the some other parts from the meg front end. Bt tbh i aint sure i have the skills.
As for fitting the clio box to meg engine, i was told it wasn't actually that difficult. Just involved machining appropriate mounting points in the block!

172 Cup
Thanks for all the input fellas :)

im reasonably competent with a spanner, one of my best mates is an excellent mechanic. The conversion is his idea tbh, we discussed it and i came on here to see if our idea could be done. The engine is available now for a very reasonable price. I was just thinking of buying a blown up 172 engine and rebuilding it with the 225 parts, then i can still use my car until its ready to be dropped in. The gearbox is not available, that has already gone, and they dont seem cheap to buy. So ill probs just get a lsd put in the clio box.

Its very likely this conversion will take place, ill let you know if i buy the engine or not.