ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mike's 182 FF

titanium 182
Car looks mint mate, like them wheels on the titaniums actually, not to keen on the stripped interior but the exterior in some of the pics look spot on.

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Got some more bits through the post...

New pair of wishbones ready for stripping & painting, tack the shells in and then put the polybushes in. For £15 it made much more sense to get another pair, than take my car off the road for over a day to install the bushes into my current wishbones.

Does anybody know the cheapest place for new lower ball joints?

20120709_183317.jpg

Finally found a suitable material for the door cards. Just need to be brave and start cutting :lol:

20120705_184923.jpg

Cleaned my suede wheel, much better!

20120708_172031.jpg

Car looks mint mate, like them wheels on the titaniums actually, not to keen on the stripped interior but the exterior in some of the pics look spot on.

Function over form in this case!

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Had the car over at ktec on tuesday for 438 cams, remap, mini service and full cambelt kit! After the first dyno when it came in, the car was running fairly well (already had it remapped with rstuner) and made 176bhp on the ktec rollers. I previously had it dyno'd else where and it made 176.6bhp & 145lbft. After the cams and remap it made 190BHP & 162lbft. Have to be honest i didn't notice much difference performance wise when i first got in the car, but after 10-15miles i soon noticed low down torque had improved. It wasn't until i went through the gears all the way up to 7k where i noticed the difference. The car used to make a lot of noise at 6000rpm upwards, but never really made any progress. The car pulls strong all the way to 7000rpm now. I need to phone ktec to sort out a few little niggles, but i'm very happy with the way the car is running, it feels and sounds very healthy indeed.

Very much looking forward to the next track day, as this will be the first time out on track since fitting the whiteline rear arb, poly bushing the front of the car, new brakes and cams/remap/service!

Also the new ball joints have turned up for the wishbones!
balljoints.jpg

And finally a new numberplate, should make quite a nice aesthetic change!
numberplate.jpg

Some photos from ktec!

Inlets off, cam cover next!
cams2.jpg

Old cams out
cams3.jpg

Catcams in!
cams4.jpg

Mapping time
cams5.jpg

One outside ktec!
cam1.jpg

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Car felt a lot quicker today, not sure if cams need settling in or not (?), or maybe the new map took a few days to settle in, but it certainly felt a lot more lively.

My exhaust bracket broke its weld on sunday so i had it welded back up today for £20, barg. Started on the door cards on sunday, sort of fucked up cutting the top but i think i've salvaged it. They are messy but they do the job! Just taped in place for now until i either velcro or plastic rivet them in.

New number plate is fitted, looks much better i think!

20120712_142152.jpg

doorcard.jpg

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Well quite a bit has changed recently.

I sold quite a lot of stuff i had lying around recently (including both my bucket seats) and have treated the car to some new stuff. Currently running one seat, a cobra evolution with 6 point luke harness.

Bought a long overdue cage and this was delivered a few days ago and will be painted soon, and then i will get the angle grinder out and start chopping stuff off/out i don't want from the inside of the car. The inside will then get a full respray (probably in silver) before cage goes in. Need to make the other front door card, rear cards and boot card, already bought more polyfoam board, just haven't got round to doing it.

It should smarten the whole interior up and cover all the gaping holes/wires. Also ordered some lexan windows with sliders/4holes, and also got some 15mm hub spacers with 2 degree camber on for the rear. Just some new tyres to get now and then im ready for brands!

Starting to consider my options for reducing weight some more. The car weighed 1110KG with a full tank, driver and two seats. Not sure how much the cage is going to add but i would like to get the car to near to 1 tonne wet with driver. This would roughly translate to a kerb weight of 900kg. I assume poly doors/boot/bonnet would be needed for this.

No photos yet, but i'll stick some up when i start to make some progress!

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Bobby i plan on doing a track day at goodwood this year actually, and it will be my first time there. Usually they are run in session's and very expensive but it seems goodwood are being a bit more sensible this year and a few track day companies are running OPL days for pretty good prices.

Fletch the windows are lovely quality and are very easy to fit, not as stiff as i was expecting, they do flex quite a bit. Little update in the form of a photo :D

IMG_2492.JPG

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Nice one mate.

If you get some and want a hand fitting them give me a PM :) One of those things that seem really hard to do until you figure out how to do it, first window took me 15-20mins, second window 2-3minutes!

Audi A5
Bobby i plan on doing a track day at goodwood this year actually, and it will be my first time there. Usually they are run in session's and very expensive but it seems goodwood are being a bit more sensible this year and a few track day companies are running OPL days for pretty good prices
Interesting. When are you looking to do it? I want to do it this year aswell as it probably the closest track to me. I looked on their website before and like you say, very expensive, what other company's are selling the track time?

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
I swear i got an email a couple of weeks ago from either javelin or circuit days saying they just secured goodwood as a new event for this year, i think it was around £200 OPL. I can't find any trace of the email and nothing on their sites either! Might be going crazy. A friend of mine who runs a track day company has recently been over to goodwood with a view for hiring it, but i can't give any idea of dates yet.

Fletch, windows are ACW :)

Lovely little read :) Might be asking a stupid question but how did you remove the rear cards? I took my back seats out today and I want to take all the belts away, but unscrewed what I think was all the screws and it was moving, just not enough to get them out lol, Probably seems like ages ago since you done it but i cant do it. was there sitting practicably in my boot thinking WTF am i doing,

Apart from that, this car is looking stunning! Not sure if you posted your power after the catcams and a remap from ktec, edit: just re-checked :L 190bhp :p

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Started on my mk2 door cards today, only managed to get one done, but the other side will be 20 times faster as i now have a template. ( left side in the photos is mk1 door card :p ) They are proper ghetto, but cost me £6.99 each side iirc.

IMG_2705.JPG

IMG_2706.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

Nice project!Have you experienced the RSR's (in circuit environment) since the day you fit them?

Not sure i entirely understand what you mean, so i'll try to be as broad as possible :approve: I've used the 595RSR for a few years now on road and on track, in pretty much every weather condition possible (damp, wet, floods, snow, ice, hot, cold, dry) and they are the best tyre available for the money for road/track use. If my car was a dedicated track car i would be using silverstone FTZ, but i just can't warrant the expense because of the amount of road miles i do as well (595RSR would last 30-35% longer). The fairly new Dmack track tyre looks extremely promising, and has had great results in recent WRC rallying, certainly wanting to try this out next time i need tyres!

Lovely little read :) Might be asking a stupid question but how did you remove the rear cards? I took my back seats out today and I want to take all the belts away, but unscrewed what I think was all the screws and it was moving, just not enough to get them out lol, Probably seems like ages ago since you done it but i cant do it. was there sitting practicably in my boot thinking WTF am i doing,

Apart from that, this car is looking stunning! Not sure if you posted your power after the catcams and a remap from ktec, edit: just re-checked :L 190bhp :p

I honestly can't remember how to actually remove them, but don't remember having any problems. :cool:

has to be one of my favourites i've seen so far, can't wait to buy my 182

​Thanks! :approve:

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Won't bother with too much text, most know whats going on here :approve:

New door pulls

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
It's getting some maintenance and parts replaced as we speak :)

The alternator died a few weeks ago, so a brand new replacement is going in. I've also fitted the PMS gear linkage and shifter (finally). Gonna rotate the tyres, stick some new pads in and give it a minor service ready for brands hatch in a couple of weeks :)

Apart from that, not much has changed. Plans for next spring are to tidy the car up. Paint the interior, sort out the saggy wiring inside the car, finish off all the open gaps in the interior (like rear door card area), replace the exhaust mounts (AGAIN!) and get the car remapped again, as im not happy with the current ktec map. Summer time im going to be looking at the suspension on the car because its really holding the car back at the moment. I would like to get some AST's or KWv2 on the car, as well as fit the solid bushes to the wishbones.

I've also only just realised i never updated this thread to say i have some ITB's waiting to go on the car :rasp::rasp::cool::cool: Just waiting on the ECU.

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Finally got the car on the road again after being off for a month, only to have the clutch fail on wednesday and take the gearbox with it. Gutted, but not the end. Plans are for a lightened flywheel and perhaps a stage 1 paddle clutch (so its not a complete pig on the road). Couple of pics, just because.

11191502104_7394c3a885_c.jpg

11241219796_1358423ee9_c.jpg

Audi A5
Shame about the gearbox, but it's good to see it's not getting you down. Wish I had some itb's in my bed :(

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Shame about the gearbox, but it's good to see it's not getting you down. Wish I had some itb's in my bed :(

The fact the gearbox and clutch has blown up isn't what is annoying me the most, its the timing! My clio coughed up a £500 bill (alternator & belts) and 2 days later my MX5 had a £420 bill for cambelt, service and belts. Both cars had tax due at the same time so decided to stick tax on the clio first (because of the track day) and tax the MX5 on pay day, but now this has happened. I also stuck £70 of 99ron in the car just before it blew up! So after £700 (and £150 for the track day) spent on the clio, its now in a worse condition than it was and i still can't go on the track day i spent all that money to go on.

:dapprove:

RB Clio 182
Looks pretty quick mate, how much does it weigh roughly?

Whats the full spec? What have you done to make it pop and bang?

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Looks pretty quick mate, how much does it weigh roughly?

Whats the full spec? What have you done to make it pop and bang?
I haven't weighed it for a while (after removing some more stuff) but i would guess around 950kg now. Engine wise its just had cams and a DIY intake. Pops come from the ignition r****d. :)

More videos of it overrunning :) sounds great!

Was the ignition timing something you requested or is a normal procedure when mapping after cams?

Last edited: