ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mintno1's Ph1 172 & Ph2 172 Cup Progress Thread

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Great stuff. Company we have been using charge 160 for four if we remove they tyres. No brainer on some cars we’ve recently had in. That’s for 15/16”.

That is a good price, like you say makes such a difference, I can imagine what some of the wheels look like 😂 wheels and tyres are normally one of the first things I look at when buying a car

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
looking mint matey and told you silver, that's what colour my white ones will be going eventually......well unless you sell me these first of course ;-)
are they paint or powdercoat or did you say and I've just had a read fail? lol!!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
I thought about getting a set of these a while ago to mate but in a dark grey,gunmetal colour.
Be interesting to see the photos mate,what tyres will get fitted?

I nearly went gunmetal, fancied a similar colour to the anthracite 2118's as not too dark and not too light but kept changing my mind so went silver instead :smile: will probably swap the Michelin PS3's off the F1's for now as they have only done a few thousand miles and see what they look like then decide what to do with them, think I will need a bit more low to pull them off

looking mint matey and told you silver, that's what colour my white ones will be going eventually......well unless you sell me these first of course ;-) are they paint or powdercoat or did you say and I've just had a read fail? lol!!

Powdercoated, not sure I have said before, Alex dropped them off for me as company who did them are over his way, he said what silver and I said just pick whichever looks best 😂

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
lol, look mint anyway matey! lows and spacers make any wheels look better but Williams don't need mega mega lows imo, not like the 675's I have, which I still haven't set the car low enough to pull off yet
I have just acquired some Bilstein B14's for the RB though so when I get that car back i'm going to deck that on the billies and 675's

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
lol, look mint anyway matey! lows and spacers make any wheels look better but Williams don't need mega mega lows imo, not like the 675's I have, which I still haven't set the car low enough to pull off yet
I have just acquired some Bilstein B14's for the RB though so when I get that car back i'm going to deck that on the billies and 675's

Will probably throw them on and see what I think, haven't seen that many Ph2's with them on so still need to see what I think of them once on, I love the wheels so hopefully they will look good on the cup, if not will throw them on the Ph1 :smile:

They look awesome!! Cracking finish there, it's well worth it for the powder coating isn't it. I paid £192 inc. VAT for my 4 Turini's to be done and that was with tyres off......... you made the right choice with the colour, will be VERY interested to see what they look like on mate

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
They look awesome!! Cracking finish there, it's well worth it for the powder coating isn't it. I paid £192 inc. VAT for my 4 Turini's to be done and that was with tyres off......... you made the right choice with the colour, will be VERY interested to see what they look like on mate

I can't wait to get them on and see, might try and get them on tomorrow :smile: was it the same place that did the inlet for you that did the wheels? I might ask the guys that did these if they will do my Ph1 inlet although no rush on that at the minute

I can't wait to get them on and see, might try and get them on tomorrow :smile: was it the same place that did the inlet for you that did the wheels? I might ask the guys that did these if they will do my Ph1 inlet although no rush on that at the minute

Yes same place has done both jobs for me, happy with the work and only 15 mins away so all good really! Colour match therefore is pretty good too although I've just said silver both times, nothing specific, but still very close if not the same

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Yes same place has done both jobs for me, happy with the work and only 15 mins away so all good really! Colour match therefore is pretty good too although I've just said silver both times, nothing specific, but still very close if not the same

Inlet does look good, I have a spare upper inlet for the Ph1 so might send that with a couple of other bits, probably won't be till next year now though, have some other bit's to do first

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Couldn't wait till in the week :smile: dropped them off earlier and got them on, will get some better pics tomorrow if the weather sorts itself out, car is currently filthy :up:

26389689779_a3f72619f2_b.jpg

38166445021_849ed8ba47_b.jpg

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
That is some retro cool I like right there, when all buffed up, will look even better mate! I'm just the same with the impatience 😂

I struggled to find pics of them on Ph2's so was a relief when I got there and I liked the look of them 😂 will try and get some better pics after a wash tomorrow, I'll be honest they are safer on the car than in the house with 2 children running around!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Mmm can’t decide wether they suit or not tbh.

I know what you mean, it looks kind of basic there......... but in a really good way! Like a no frills Cup, b-road blaster. If that even makes sense 😂

I like how simple/basic they are and they do look easier to clean compared to the F1's 😂 I still think might need to go a bit lower but will leave for a bit and see what I think, I don't mind dividing opinion, I still really like the F1's as well I was thinking of selling them but might keep them just incase, will see what happens

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Update on the Ph1, it's been in the garage for the last couple of weeks and have been meaning to get it out for a drive and a wash, it's been a few weeks. Took some pics while I was out, it was filthy for the pics :smile:

24711112088_4ed63ac672_b.jpg

38550962332_cd96369c34_b.jpg

24711109908_5540a60a63_b.jpg

38550961382_11fa3d7244_b.jpg

24711113528_1b72439216_b.jpg

24711115058_af39d11ae5_b.jpg

Washed it before I put it back in the garage and grabbed a quick pic of the interior as haven't taken any since I got it
24711107288_3f41604181_b.jpg

24711108308_f68b3e8664_b.jpg

Have a cup spoiler ready to go on and it's going in for new clutch very soon :up:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
That looks so smart and in great condition, i'm liking the photos with the leaves!
I love how oem the interior is tho, you have to leave that tape player in :up:

The photos came out well considering they are off a phone :smile: I love the interior it will stay exactly as it is including tape deck, I might do something with the steering wheel but would be an OEM steering wheel re-trimmed nothing aftermarket

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
172 Cup
Bought a Ph1 airbox for the cup a month or so ago and didn't fit it then saw the Renault 21 Turbo airbox on eBay and thought I could make a V6/Espace style airbox with a bit of both of them plus an ITG foam filter that came with the Ph1 when I bought it :smile: missed out on the 21 box first time round but then it was re-listed so managed to get it 2nd time round, paid more than I probably should but hey ho. Fitted today, have a cold air feed to organise but the weather isn't good enough to be rolling round on the floor. Still haven't organised when I am getting it remapped but need to sort that soon really other than that it's being used daily and needs a bloody good clean :up:

Before
38808082151_484faa9cb0_b.jpg

During
27032605309_2f36d508d7_b.jpg

38808080171_faba4b0aa4_b.jpg

After
27032603959_8552bf4417_b.jpg

Ph1
Managed to get a Ph1 steering wheel to send off for re-trimming, thanks to @chris79

27032592429_f36fa2f110_b.jpg

Also managed to get some freshly repainted wing mirrors and a rear bumper to replace the faded mirrors I have currently and the scraped rear bumper, will hopefully get those on shortly although it's spending most of it's time in the garage tucked up at the minute :up:

Not the most interesting update 😂
but things are still moving

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Milestone reached in the cup a week or so ago

39137682632_4b71efd6eb_b.jpg

Which means 4k in 7 months which is not bad going considering I don't really need a car 😂

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Little update from over Christmas, managed to spend a day on the cup, had a list of bit's to get done

- Reattached the splitter after my wife decided part of it shouldn't be where it was supposed to be 😂
- Tweaked the damping on the coilovers, went 15 clicks on the front and 10 on the back (Spax RSX) and ride much improved now :up:
- Wet & dry sanded the headlights, not perfect but did by hand and will do again properly when I have a bit more time
- Attached heat shield in the engine bay, someone gave me a piece of the Nimbus heat shield material which had been previously used so I just trimmed as best I could and fitted, I have been running without heat shield since the MOT with no ill effects
- Resealed the plastic grommets next to the rear lights and washed the car, it desperately needed it having done a couple of trips up to Manchester before Christmas without a wash

Headlights before
39415192851_2d09312ba7_b.jpg

25545214958_398c8069d4_b.jpg

Headlights after
25545224968_f88a7d0152_b.jpg

24549174897_15c8a594df_b.jpg

Heat shield fitted
24549175947_1e870f3d44_b.jpg

Pic from the morning after the work being done
25545223358_a9e16c2889_b.jpg

Ph1 still tucked up in the garage, hope everyone had a great Christmas, Happy New Year!! :smile:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
172 Cup

Month since last update so thought I would, nothing much has happened, trying to decide what to do with the cup, it's no longer a daily anymore as the new family car turned up in January (will grab some pics at some point) and I am toying with stripping it out at the minute, can't decide what to do :smile: I have thought about selling but I think the only way I will get what I wanted would be to break it and after all the work that has gone in to it i just can't bring myself to do that, what would you guys do?

Thought I would update the spec as she sits at the minute

Engine and exterior:
  • 182 manifold (Aug 17')
  • Pure Motorsport exhaust (slash cut) & centre silencer with link pipe (Aug 17')
  • Polybushed dogbone (On car when purchased)
  • Skoda fabia front splitter (July 17')
  • EPAS (May 17')
  • Ph1 172 gearbox (Aug 17')
  • Pure Motorsport gear shifter & linkage (Aug 17')
  • Genuine Valeo OEM clutch (Aug 17')
  • V6 airbox with ITG foam filter (Dec 17')
  • MR battery cover (Sep 17')
  • Nimbus engine heat shield (Dec 17')
  • Fabia splitter (July 17')
  • Lower RS inlet & new upper polished & ported by APD (Oct 17')
Wheels and suspension:
  • 15" genuine Williams wheels powdercoated in silver (June 17')
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres front and rear (June 17')
  • 16mm hubcentric front spacers and extended bolts (Aug 17')
  • 10mm rear hub spacers (Aug 17')
  • Spax RSX coilovers (Aug 17')
  • Spare Oz F1 15" with AD08R tyre (Aug 17')
Brakes:
  • Grooved & drilled front discs (On car when purchased) with Brembo pads (May 17')
  • Standard rear discs with Brembo pads (May 17')
  • New rear callipers / brake lines & bias valve (May 17')
Interior and audio:
  • Full 172 non cup interior (May 17')
Other:
  • New genuine plugs & leads (May 17')
  • New OEM injectors (May 17')
  • All new front bulbs (May 17')
  • New upper engine & gearbox mount (Aug/Sep 17')
Still to fit:
  • Arch liners front & rear
  • Bass ports to front bumper fog light trim

Ph1 172

Still tucked up in the garage, the MOT ran out on Monday, I knew it ran out in February but didn't realise it was so early in the month it's off to the garage at the end of the month so we can have a look over it and work out what needs doing. Have been collecting parts I already have a new clutch, resprayed rear bumper & wing mirrors, new boot struts and a steering wheel to send off for re-trimming. After the work has been done then it will be off for it's MOT then all being well will get the bodywork that needs doing sorted and enjoy it over the Summer :up:

Any help with the cup would be much appreciated :up::smile: