ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk 1 172 TTUUUUUURRRBBBOOO

Hi guys.

I have a Mk1 172, 2001 model, that was in an accident recently and declared uneconomical to repair. I am considering buying it back from the insurer to rebiuld as a Turbo, just for drags and track days.

how easy will this be? Can I just swop internals from big brother Megan Turbo, and steal the turbo and cooler as well and bolt on?

There isnt major dammage to the car, just radiator and cradle, and some underside damage, and some body reconstruction that could easily be repalced with a kit.My engine is a strong runner xcept for the starter that needs to be binned. What do ya think?

Tnx,

Im in Sunny ole South Africa,so They might be a lil to far,

I am going to do the conversion myself, over time.....

K-tec racing do a turbo conv for bout 5 grand with bout 240 bhp with similar torque but bb performance do a 270 bhp turbo kit for 7 grand which in my opinion is far too much. k tec racing always improving their clio where as bb concentrate on r5's so would go to k tec myself fella

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Shame Ktec aint in South Africa eh? Nothing like reading before replying!

Anyhoo, 'FredYozzasport' is doing the meg 225 conversion oh his car and I think the biggest probelm is the gearbox and the size of it, obviously the engine bay is a lot smaller. Defo worth Pm'ing him though and asking a few questioons about it, 'edde' will know a lot too

EvilJohn said:
Shame Ktec aint in South Africa eh? Nothing like reading before replying!

Anyhoo, 'FredYozzasport' is doing the meg 225 conversion oh his car and I think the biggest probelm is the gearbox and the size of it, obviously the engine bay is a lot smaller. Defo worth Pm'ing him though and asking a few questioons about it, 'edde' will know a lot too

I'm sure K-tec will sell you the kit and then you can use your own tuner there to fit it unless your able to do that yourself. K-tec are better than BB for price and better people.

R

Rebecca

Zahid said:
Tnx,

Holiday:D you can house swap if you like lol I could do with a nice trip away lol. Good luck doing that yourself hope it goes well.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Zahid said:
Tnx,

Didn't Ktec get there turbo kit and development from a company in South Africa????

There was a big thread on the forum a while back!

thanks.
What software would you recomend? And if I just swap pistons from the Megan, and the Turbo and cooler( not sure what size is the turbo), what boost levels can I safely run?

Lionel Richie
the Megane RS turbo has a limit of around 1bar

i don't think the bolt spacing is the same, you be better off using an after market turbo manifold and a garret turbo, if you used the Megane turbo you wouldn't be able to use the standard plenham and inlet manifold

Ph1
Anyone got a link to the company who sell's the turbo kits to K-tec?? Would be interested to know how much it would be buy it direct.

Im sure edde put one up over a year back

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
Guys, our turbo kits do NOT come from Mexico. We went to Mexico to see a company that had a 172 turbo to see how well it worked. The kit and the electronics from this car were not suitable for use in the UK due to our different grade of fuel and the fact there kit is tuned for cars running at altitude. The kit was also not of a high enough quality to contemplate fitting and testing. We do not have a single part of the Mexican kit fitted on our car or offered in our kits.

I hope this clears this up.

David.

PS. We had a call from our customer yesterday who has the stage 2 kit fitted to his car. The car was tested on a rolling road and produced 309bhp at 14psi with 286 ft-lb of torque. There is now a graph on our website http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2088&pic=5 ;)

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
One other point worth noting is that the slightly undulating lines on the graph are caused by the pulse width modulation (PWM) from the solenoid on the digital boost controller we installed.

David.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
Andyman said:
It wasnt a rolling road in Cumbria was it?? black 182 ??

It could well have been as the customer does come from that area. Did you see it on the rollers?

David.

Ph1
K-Tec Racing said:
It could well have been as the customer does come from that area. Did you see it on the rollers?

David.

Never saw it on the rollers but saw a black turbo'd completly standard looking 182 at a local cruise plus that graph has the name of my local rolling road on it :)

wish i had have seen it on the rr, geeeeeezzzzzzz lol