ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk1 turbo conversion

K9 EVV

buying a mk1 clio and ive got hold of a volvo 480 1.7 turbo. how hard is the conversion and what do i need??? any pics of any on here????

cheers

kev

500bhp Scoob

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 29 August 2005
Malice has done this also.

his is rather different. its not a true volvo conversion. he was lucky to get customised bits like exhaust manifold.

Youll need to get an exhaust downpipe custom made, as the volvo one doesnt fit, and fouls the clio subframe. youll need to fabricate atleast 1 engine mount. youll need a diff gearbox as the volvo uses an electronic sensor within the gearbox. heatshield due to the position of the turbo, and a few other things.

I fully rebuilt my engine, check the condition of the turbo, as i doubt it wouldve been replaced. change anything you can think of that would need doing, cambelt, water pump, idlers and tensioners, clutch etc etc.

Its not as easy as people seem to make out, well thats what i think anyway

S2000

Just out of interest how does the insurance see this conversion to a clio - what is it comparible to in terms of insurance?

Is this conversion easier than a 5 GTT conversion and is it better/worse in terms of performance?

williams 2 turbo

more expensive to insure than a 5 turbo conversion, and you get fuel injection with it, but the 5 turbo is a lot more tunable, and imho faster than the volvo.

500bhp Scoob

indeed, the 5 turbo also keeps tax down due to it only being a 1.4, whereas youll be paying £90 for 6 months on the volvo engined clio.

Think i can say that the 5 conversion is prob easier, due to the fact that you dont have to make custom engine mounts, exhaust downpipes etc. and as diamond geezer said, its a hell of alot more tunable :)

S2000

So is the insurance on a clio with a 5 turbo engine about the same as the insurance on an actual 5 GTT?

Im not planning on doing this soon (still only 17 - 18 next month) but its something I might be interested in doing in the future and it would be good to know when I would be able to afford this in terms of insurance costs. It would also make a difference in terms of doing things to my own car at the moment. If I knew I would be keeping the shell for a good while yet (with a conversion) I would be much happier about doing things to the bodywork etc that I wouldnt want to spend money on if I was going to be selling it in 6 months.

K9 EVV

so mole was the conversion easy??? how long does it take????

where can i get the exhaust downpipe made from and the gearbox???? have you got any pics of engine conversion????

kev

williams 2 turbo

there is a pic of my engine bay, in the media bit under braintree freeport meet, you cant miss it. as for insurance it cost me another 30.00 to change it over on my policy, on paper 5 turbos put out less power than valvers etc, in reality they stuff um!.