ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Valver 172 conversion - advice needed

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
I've got my eye on a ph2 172 lump

I'm considering dropping it into my valver, I'd like to know a few practical things about the conversion

Firstly what bits bolt straight onto the Mk1 without modifications? The lump I'm looking at is a ph2 and will come with subframe, gearbox, complete hubs with brakes, arb, wishbones, driveshafts and ecu

Secondly, will I have to use standalone management to convert it to cable throttle or can this be done with a ph1 loom & ecu?

Am I correct in thinking I wont be able to use the gearbox because of the speedo drive being electronic?

hubs/brakes/wishbones/driveshafts will fit onto the valver subframe no probs

ARB wont fit, subframe wont i dont think (not 100% though)

Gearbox will fit with a bit of modification, mount needs one hole drilling to fit chassis IIRC

also i think the speed sensor comes out of the gearbox and the cable can go in from what ive heard....

ph2 is the next issue as its electric throttle, iirc if you want to run cable you'l need a whole ph1 plenum and throttle body (as they have an idle control valve on the back i think).....then ph1 loom and ecu would work...

edit: just realised this thread was ages old, lol

LY 182
ph2 gearboxes don't have the speed sensor hole at all :p
mine did,,, select few early full fat 172's did as mine had ABS and a speed sensor in the box with the wiring there for both.

when i did the engine swap all i had to do to make the speedo work was go into diagnostics and swap the speedo input signal from the abs to the gearbox sensor

cups also have the sensor hole