ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 1.2 Dynamique: Larger Brake Discs?

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
I have recently purchased 260mm brake discs from the advice of a thread here,
turns out my 1.2 peasent spec have 238mm discs installed. (I should have believed
the auto part sites).

I can always sell the discs on but then that got me wondering...

How much work would it require to fit these larger discs? I am running 14"
steels but was thinking of going to 15" - Would it be a case of picking up
different calipers? or an adapter?

Any advice to humour my side thought appreciated, again, I can always sell them.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
It's years since I seen one with the smaller discs I assume it's a 8v model?

Should be a case of front hubs, calipers, discs and front shocks as I'm sure the smaller disc models use 52mm bolt spacing on the front shocks as opposed to 58mm

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
It's years since I seen one with the smaller discs I assume it's a 8v model?

Should be a case of front hubs, calipers, discs and front shocks as I'm sure the smaller disc models use 52mm bolt spacing on the front shocks as opposed to 58mm

1.2L 16v 2001 (MK2)

And wow that would be a lot of work, i'm not quite running low boost power...
I have now ordered some proper discs at the right size and will fit the larger
ones on my friends Mk3 (as they should be). I'ts reassuring to know that my
silly proposition is indeed silly. Thank you again for the info!

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
Odd for a 16v to be running that size is it a ph1 Clio?

I believe it belongs to the first batch of PH2's in the UK (originally bought November 2001 a few months after the facelift)

1549730729122.png

Image for generation reference, my own is a dark metallic green (will get some images up when I find time)
- Same set up as image with the 1.2L 16V D4F Petrol with paper oil filter etc.

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
The real litmus test will be getting the wheels off and having a proper look which I won't be able to do for a few weeks at least. Will update with my finsings late on in case it can help somebody else in the future.

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
Just to end the thread, 238mm was NOT the right size.

259mm is correct as per the manual -which I should have bl**dy looked in the first place. Have to make
these mistakes to learn from them I hope...

P.S. Such a pain when you find a thread on the subject you are looking into and the last message is
usually "I will have a look and get back to you" - This thread will not be one of those

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
if you want a relatively cheap upgrade to bigger stoppers you can modify pug 307 calipers a little and bolt them on with 172 280mm disks. i run this on my twingo which is basically a clio front end. i upgraded from the 259mm setup to this.

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
@Adey. Bit of a revival, going down the route of 307/280mm conversion. I did a test fit today and I wanted to ask if the carrier gap looks about right.

I haven't used any spacers here so it would come out another 1-2mm - does this look similar to your twingo set up?

PXL_20230219_150411506.jpg

I assume the carrier sits offset and the caliper floats - that, or it's mega off 😅

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
No, you need the spacers in between the carrier and the hub mounting. That disk needs to end up in the centre of the calliper

Thank you for the info, even with the few extra mm on the 280 disc it will be well off then

Won't be as easy as using 1mm washers as you did in your TurboRenault write up

Thanks again