ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 Clio DCi Daily

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Evening all,

I thought I’d start a thread on this car, due to it actually being a good example and a lucky find (IMO)

Bit of background info:
I’m currently in the middle of renovating an old cottage, which has meant I was enjoying a 1.2 Clio Bangernomics for tip runs and carrying materials in. I’d had the 1.2 almost 12 months and dragging things to the tip and overloading the car with cement bags etc had taken its toll on the car. So I decided to not even bother spending on the 1.2 Clio to attempt getting it through the next MOT, a factor was also how filthy the interior had gotten and the general condition of the car had gotten quite embarrassing. Bangernomics completed...and with the house ‘edging’ towards being completed in just a couple more months, I thought I’d go slightly out of Bangernomics and get something that’s to a basic respectable standard again that I’ll enjoy maintaining and especially with not needing to carry materials in a car anymore.

I started hunting for a DCI. I soon realised that they’ve gotten quite rare to find since owning one 5-6 years ago. Most are moon miles (which is reassuring) and also have leaking sunroofs, which is a no no, I have a hate for damp smelling interior. I decided that maybe I’ll have to settle for a Mk3 DCi,
but out of pure luck, I stumbled across a lovely, standard 2005 (55) Mk2, non sunroof DCI on Facebook. plenty of service history and very tidy for the age of them now.

2005 (55)
4 owners (2 were husband and wife)
Full service history, apart from cambelt, so that’s getting done ASAP.

Plans are to get the cambelt done within the next few days. Full valet, new mats, 182 interior and just good maintenance.

The car was up for £995, I managed to haggle down to £900. By the time I strip what I want off the 1.2 and scrap/sell the rest of the 1.2, I think I’ll be down to £650’ish total.

I’ll be updating this as I start buying maintenance bits and interior etc :)

Thanks for reading :)

Attachments

• 1F243EE1-C521-44CD-B0B5-93C4259B4696.jpeg
    1F243EE1-C521-44CD-B0B5-93C4259B4696.jpeg
    1,014.3 KB · Views: 392

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I took the car for a little spin tonight, to test it a little more. Very surprised at the figures.

Attachments

• 7FABE501-4AFC-4FE6-BC0F-33039DA27C2F.jpeg
    7FABE501-4AFC-4FE6-BC0F-33039DA27C2F.jpeg
    672.4 KB · Views: 408
  • CD31F043-C3B5-4287-BF61-230A0CE8403C.jpeg
    CD31F043-C3B5-4287-BF61-230A0CE8403C.jpeg
    584.6 KB · Views: 386

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I’ll be keeping this thread updated as the progress slowly continues.

I have found out that this is actually the DCI 68 Campus model!
At first it quizzed me how (what I thought was a 65) a 65 had an intercooler on it, then just assuming the car had been messed with.

A 68 Campus actually comes as a detuned 100 basically, minus the injectors!

This 68 has got the gearbox, turbo and intercooler off a 100 DCi, this is a nice plus to find out.

The DCI has been averaging 72.4mpg (according to the trip computer) on my work commute.

I’m actually really enjoying this car, much more than I thought. This is definitely going to progress into something good.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I’ve ordered some genuine Bosch glow plugs as the slower start first thing in cold (2 to 3 degrees and less) doesn’t seem to have improved with a full tank of redex.

It starts on the button 9/10 times but the cold snaps seem to slow the start. There’s no record I can find on the glow plugs ever being changed, so I’ll be swapping those out as soon as they arrive.

I’m slowly ticking off the serving list, then I can start swapping the interior out and updating cosmetic parts :)

Average MPG has creeped up to 72.9 now

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Just a little update,

FEAE0722-E570-46BE-AA6B-13620FD85703.jpeg

This is the first proper picture I’ve taken of the car. No idea why I even stopped to take the picture! It’s just a DCi...

I feel like my interest in cars is slowly returning and it’s my ‘petrol(diesel) head’ creeping back out, now I’m starting to have more spare time again.

Anyway...
she’s now on 119,500 miles. I still haven’t cleaned it inside or out. I’m glad the previous owner kept it tidy.

Still trying to put time aside to get the cambelt replaced.

The list so far:

. Oil filter/Oil/Air Filter ✔️
. Glow plugs ✔️
. Cambelt/Water Pump
. Sport upper grill
. 182 full interior

I’ve managed 720’ish miles from £60 ⛽️

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
The slow starting when cold could be a sign of the injectors failing, similar thing happened to mine. Can always do a leak down test and see how bad they are takes a few mins.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
The slow starting when cold could be a sign of the injectors failing, similar thing happened to mine. Can always do a leak down test and see how bad they are takes a few mins.

Cheers Roger,
I’m going to try the glow plugs first, as I think they’re still the originals. I think it’s them, as the car doesn’t rough idle or anything to suggest injectors.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Just a little update,

Finally got around to changing the glow plugs! I didn’t have a tool in my Halfords tool box that would reach over the glow plug, so I have bought a 10mm long reach halford socket and it’s done the trick.

The job took less than 10 minutes and it was a doddle with the engine run up to temp, the glow plugs removed without much fuss.

Now, they look quite grubby, so im hoping a full set of genuine Bosch ones will cure my initial slow cold start! Fingers crossed ?. They were Denso glow plugs that I removed, so I guess they have actually been changed in the cars lifetime.

C93512BF-32CE-492A-9197-B468D2614755.jpeg

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Looks tidy for a little DCI mate, surely you could just pop the 100 injectors in now for a bit more get up and go?

Cheers buddy! It’s not a bad one at all! Cheap and cheerful! I think that will be done down the line, once these injectors start playing up, I’ll just upgrade them.

The plan is to get ontop of the maintenance first, I still need the cambelt done. Then I’ll start on fun bits.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers buddy! It’s not a bad one at all! Cheap and cheerful! I think that will be done down the line, once these injectors start playing up, I’ll just upgrade them.

The plan is to get ontop of the maintenance first, I still need the cambelt done. Then I’ll start on fun bits.

Can't blame you for focusing on maintenance. Surpising how much power you can actually get out of a DCI mind!

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
A little Saturday night thought,

Can anyone tell me how easy/hard/don’t bother it is to retro fit cruise control?
That’s the only thing that’s really bugging me not having.

What’s needed to make it work?

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
A little Saturday night thought,

Can anyone tell me how easy/hard/don’t bother it is to retro fit cruise control?
That’s the only thing that’s really bugging me not having.

What’s needed to make it work?

Let me know if you ever find the answer mate, I want/need to do the same with the cup.

td_dan

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio DCi
pull the panel on the right hand side of the dash and see if theres any extra wiring plugs. If there is then i think its a case of the clutch switch, brake switch, cc steering wheel squib, cc steering wheel with buttons and cc panel. I have everything you need as i bought it for my dci bu tbecause the wiring wasnt there i didnt go ahead (should have checked before hand lol)

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
pull the panel on the right hand side of the dash and see if theres any extra wiring plugs. If there is then i think its a case of the clutch switch, brake switch, cc steering wheel squib, cc steering wheel with buttons and cc panel. I have everything you need as i bought it for my dci bu tbecause the wiring wasnt there i didnt go ahead (should have checked before hand lol)

Thanks for the info buddy!
I may be in touch if the wiring is there then! :)

Do you mean the square panel where the light adjustment is? @td_dan

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Good find, if it's just injectors then your a set of injectors away from 130hp and 190lbft, has someone confirmed the injectors are different?

Dacia duster intercooler will be a direct swap it's larger

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I had no idea you'd got this! Yes, another Dci owner! Need to do my glow plugs after seeing that.
The cambelt is a very simple job, takes about 3 hours even if you haven't done it before and the tools are less than £10.

Of course I know all about cruise control! Fitted it to three DCis now. Not that I recommend watching my very boring video on clio wiring but most of it's in the first few mins.
Need:
Squib which has CC
Cruise buttons
Clutch switch (you probably have this)
Cruise switch
CLIP to reprogram the digital clocks and ECU

182 interior is definitely the one to go for over the 172, Seat pattern with white dots really lifts the interior and the alcantara is a better colour. Make sure you get the carpet too as it's good for sound deadening.

If the cars running well now I'd do a leak off test on the injectors so you have a benchmark to compare against if it starts to go bad :)

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Good find, if it's just injectors then your a set of injectors away from 130hp and 190lbft, has someone confirmed the injectors are different?

Dacia duster intercooler will be a direct swap it's larger

Cheers buddy! The plan is to get ontop of maintenance and I’ll do more digging into the performance side of things. Should be a little hoot with a bit more power!

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I had no idea you'd got this! Yes, another Dci owner! Need to do my glow plugs after seeing that.
The cambelt is a very simple job, takes about 3 hours even if you haven't done it before and the tools are less than £10.

Of course I know all about cruise control! Fitted it to three DCis now. Not that I recommend watching my very boring video on clio wiring but most of it's in the first few mins.
Need:
Squib which has CC
Cruise buttons
Clutch switch (you probably have this)
Cruise switch
CLIP to reprogram the digital clocks and ECU

182 interior is definitely the one to go for over the 172, Seat pattern with white dots really lifts the interior and the alcantara is a better colour. Make sure you get the carpet too as it's good for sound deadening.

If the cars running well now I'd do a leak off test on the injectors so you have a benchmark to compare against if it starts to go bad :)

Cheers for the information buddy :D

I am tempted to give the cambelt a go myself, I keep putting it off for a garage to do.
I do have a week off work soon, so I might have to dig out the tools and CS guidance lol ? it’s the only thing I’ve really stayed away from doing, cambelts always get me nervous.

I’m going to look this weekend to see if I have the wires behind that dash panel. I REALLY want CC, I think it would make the car a perfect daily.

I’ll keep this updated as it progresses :)

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Another little update:

The battery and STOP light has been flickering over bumpy roads..
A quick look and it seems the battery wasn’t even clamped down or tight, luckily the clamp was still there.

On investigation though, there’s a plug that’s been taped up and a vaccume pipe of some sort left off.
There’s no lights on the dash and the car drives perfect. So does anyone have any ideas? I thought it might be some kind of eBay chip ??‍♂️ But it’s labelled with Delphi.

A5F765FE-F06D-4281-ABBB-40B4CBD98562.jpeg
DF64A713-7BD5-47AA-ADB5-4DD2B914E881.jpeg
2F84E360-C7FE-48AE-89B4-40635E0EC2DF.jpeg

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
That's a temp sensor for the fuel filter iirc. Can only be used with Delphi filters obvs lol

Can you expand on this for me please buddy? ? should it be plugged into the fuel filter then? Should I have issues with it in this state with tape over it? Lol
I didn’t take the tape off, just in case I caused an issue.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Can you expand on this for me please buddy? ? should it be plugged into the fuel filter then? Should I have issues with it in this state with tape over it? Lol
I didn’t take the tape off, just in case I caused an issue.
They're not on every model but I'm sure it just clips into the fuel filter underneath, I'm sure they detect water in the filter too. At least that's what I'm led to believe, I never had mine flag up for water in the filter I just drained it after every 6k service and primed it back up haha

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
They're not on every model but I'm sure it just clips into the fuel filter underneath, I'm sure they detect water in the filter too. At least that's what I'm led to believe, I never had mine flag up for water in the filter I just drained it after every 6k service and primed it back up haha

I’m wondering why it’s been taken out?
Broken clip?

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
They probably went into EuroCarWank and bought the cheapest filter for that Reg and just stuck it on not realising what it's for? I thought only the MK3 and Modus/Megane had the sensor on the filter. @HMS Derv Destroyer you seen this before on a MK2?

Ohhhh..! I see what you mean now.
I’ll check the fuel filter then and get a new one if there’s no sensor plug on this one.
At least I have a good starting point now to investigate ??.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
If it starts and there's no light on the dash I'd cover it in cling film (not earth sparky tape!) and keep it how it is lol

If you get a fuel filter in future get a Genuine Delphi one as others will only give you headaches??

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
If it starts and there's no light on the dash I'd cover it in cling film (not earth sparky tape!) and keep it how it is lol

If you get a fuel filter in future get a Genuine Delphi one as others will only give you headaches??

This is what I’ve thought too, if it’s not caused any issues so far, then I’ll just leave it and make the plug more secure.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I put a genuine delphi filter on mine and it doesnt have anywhere for a sensor to be plugged in. I also put a genuine “renault” delphi filter on my old dci which also didnt have anywhere for a sensor to be plugged in.

Delphi fuel filter on ebay for £17 posted ??

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Not a single bit of air in it!
After around 6 months you will, then it'll get so bad you'll need to give the priming bulb a few squirts everytime you try and start it. Why cheap out on something that needs changing every ~50k[emoji23]

You'd be surprised at how many aftermarket K9K filters are utter s**t

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk