ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 ph1 1.2 clio

Clio 1.2
Picked this up yesterday on my birthday :) i know it's only a small engine blah blah but i dont really need the performance, and i need to keep my costs down :p. I don't plan, atm, to make any BHP increases at all. I just want to make it sound a little better, and look really nice. It's in gun metal/graphite grey (sorry i'm not familiar with clios yet, i've been a fiesta man until this :p), 64k on the clock with one lady owner from new. cam belt change just before 52k miles. FSH. A few minor paintwork damage (keyed drivers side for quite a long duration, small pertruding dent just above renault badge on bonet which has flaked top paintwork and is down to primary, and a small dent in bonet top passenger side, appears to be from someone pushing down too hard, should be able to get sucked out). The only other problem is that, after getting moted on the 15th, after checking the filter they didnt put it back properly, so after ~90 miles of it sucking in dirty air i popped the bonnet to see why it was grunting (it sounded really nice though!), and found the air filter was loose.

Plans atm, depending on money, time, and increase to insurance (yes i will be declaring all mods, and see what they can take) are:

lower 35mm on eibach springs (dont have the money for coilovers)
change from 15" standard rims to 16" 5 spoke alloys (i particularly like the wolfrace that split near the end, but once laced with toyo r1s they're looking at £600....).
looking at changing rear lights (either a really nice pair of LEDs, but they were £150 which is rather dear, or looking at tinting standards (if anyone pics of it properly done it'd be appreciated, my car is dark colour so it should work out quite well)
splitter (is it laguna spilters that are added on clios?)
colour coding
upgraded cone filter (yes purely for sound, i like the engine to be quiet on tickover but purr when accelerating)
and then it'll be interior / comfort mods, most likely change atm is from the standard headunit

i'll upload some pics tommorow when im not so busy, i know this isn't the project you guys are normally used to, it's nothing big, it's not that exciting, but this is the first car i'm going to modify, and i just want it to look pretty. Other people can drop custom lumps, strip it back to the bare minimum to reduce weight etc etc, it's not what i'm intersted in doing with mine, however i do like their commitement :)

thanks for taking the time to read, hopefully see you at some meets soon if you're in my local area :)

Ph 1 172
jus to throw it out there for you mate !!!my mk2 ph1 1.2 clio did not look any different lowering it 35mm so i went 60mm with standard shocks......... over 2 years and not a problem with the shocks at all looked good and cost nothing extra on the insurance with tesco.
ill get some pics up in a bit to show you if you want?

i also did the rear lights black as well did it my self worked out fine and no trouble from the fuzz

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i agree with domjolly,
35mm wont satisfy you,
i did 60mm on standard springs, year and no problems, glad i went for 60,

also my rear lights,

living in dorst you should be alright,
i live in essex and been warned to get them off about 3 times now,
so theyre going tomorrow, just not worth the hastle,
plus if sum1 goes into the back of you, and either insurance see the lights,
theyll have a field day on you and make the claim your faul (claim people cudnt see you breaking) just so your warned.

Evo 6, E92 320d
i agree with domjolly,
35mm wont satisfy you,
i did 60mm on standard springs, year and no problems, glad i went for 60,

also my rear lights,

living in dorst you should be alright,
i live in essex and been warned to get them off about 3 times now,
so theyre going tomorrow, just not worth the hastle,
plus if sum1 goes into the back of you, and either insurance see the lights,
theyll have a field day on you and make the claim your faul (claim people cudnt see you breaking) just so your warned.

Different, where abouts in essex?

Mk6 Fiesta Zs
agreed with the 35mm comments. done mine 30/35mm as i was under the impression that 60mm, at the time, would have been too low and caused countless amounts of problems. turned out i believed utter bullshit and im now dying for a set of coils!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i struck lucky, my mate lowered his car just before me

40mm, and i didnt want to tell him that i could see no difference

Clio 1.2
well the idea was to increase from the current 14" standard alloys to 16s, and then lower, so 35 I thought would've looked enough. Thanks for the tips though :) Can't afford coilovers incase it was wrong so going to have to search the forum for pics etc when i've got time of what other people have done :p

Hmm I wouldn't be wanting to have mine tinted that dark, too much aggro if you get pulled by the police, even down this end it happens you know, probably just not as much as there lol.

pics:
16012009335.jpg

16012009336.jpg

16012009337.jpg

16012009338.jpg

16012009339.jpg

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
just get a set of ph2 lights mate,
think some colourcoding and clear repeaters are in order,

also, its the arch gap that makes a car look low alot of the time,
so 16's on 35mm drop, will look lower than 15 on a 35mm drop,
but will accually be higher,

it depends what you want from lowering,
car accually low to the ground, or get rid of the arch gap

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Sorry to thread-jak.....What 60's have everyone lowered on???

As for the car. VERY nice colour and spec, (decent dual optics and fogs as standard) as for mods i would....

Get some phase 2 lights rather than LED
Get a Dynamic/Phase1 172 Spoiler (they're the same thing) and colour code it.
Wheels if you want, but those are actually quite nice
Lower x amount
Get a shorter aerial, looks so much better
Colour code
An open filter will give you what you want in terms of noise, so i'd actually recommend it!

Edit: oh and if you want to do a little bit more in terms of looks a Phase 2 rear bumper, either sport or non sport can be fitted to update the look of the back of the car

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
mine are on apex 60mm
but the KTR springs come out lower, or closer to 60mm

^^basically all the mods ive done

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Got a pic? Hows the ride? I have 17's atm (schoolboy 17yo error i know) but will eventually go 16's when cash arrives, i think 60 may be too far on 17s?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
ye i want rid of my 17s now
well my cars going through a de-chavment overhault atm,
so no pictures atm,

id go for the ktr springs,
depends, how low you want if to go,
if you want low low, then get the KTR springs,

Clio 1.2
really just after getting rid of the arch gap, rather than it sitting really low on the ground (too many speed bumps in town and pot holes etc round me)

yeah colour coding and clear repeaters are a must!

thanks for the tips guys :)

Nissan 350z
Hi Jamie,

Sorry to rain on your parade but thats not a Ph1 1.2 sport.

If it was a true Ph1 1.2 sport it would have:
- Colour coded wing mirrors
- 3 Doors instead of 5 doors.
- Differrent boot spoiler.
- Different coloured Interior / Dash
- Passenger Airbag

It looks like you have a 1.2 8v Grande that someones tried to convert into a "Si" by adding the wheels and Dual Optic headlights. If you were sold this as a sport then id take it back as you've been conned :(.

Last edited:
Hi Jamie,

- Passenger Airbag

It looks like you have a 1.2 8v Grande that someones tried to convert into a "Si" by adding the wheels and Dual Optic headlights. If you were sold this as a sport then id take it back as you've been conned :(.

Perhaps im wrong, but i dont recall him actually saying that its a "sport" ? Or maybe i missed it somewhere:approve:

Mk6 Fiesta Zs
16012009336.jpg

if you look closely its an RN. not that it matters anyway, it fooled me at 1st glance!! tidy wee motor mate. few wee subtle mods and it'l look even better!

Clio 1.2
Hi Jamie,

- Passenger Airbag

haha yeah i know, it just has the "sport" package additional extra, haven't got round to changing it to explain it better yet lol :p

thanks for the photoshop, looks rather tidy like that :)

will hopefully be going over to verwood to a renault speciailst next weekend (think they're in the discount club members bit, forget name haha) to see what they have in stock, and get a few more ideas

1.2 Dynamique billabong
looks like a good starting point mate, i would recommend a bigger drop than 35mm even with 16's, ive got 17's and mine is down 50mm.
11-7.jpg

also if you can source a dynamique/172 rear spoiler it would make a massive difference.
good luck buddy, tis a nice colour too

Petrol Blue 182.
good starting point mate, got fogs and dual optics all ready! get some silvervision indicator bulbs to take the orange glow away, will look much tidyer. where abouts in dorset are you mate? im sometimes in blandford/poole

Nissan 350z
Ah thats good to know Jamie. I didnt mean to be a downer.

Well mate i also started off with a 5 door Ph1 1.2 and there are some very cheap mods you can do that make a world of difference without costing the earth!

- Clear side indicators. (ditch the yellow)
- Ph2 rear lights (as shooped above by adam_socks)
- Silvervision indicator bulbs (as mentioned above by couzens)
- HID kit + LED sidelights (dual optics lense means it stays nice and focused)
- Colour coding (this is cheap but requires know how)

And then obviously you start getting into the more expensive mods such as:
- New wheels
- Lowering

Good luck :)