ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK3 non-sport... (will become more pic heavy)

1.5 dci86 (09)
Hey all,
After browsing a load of non-sport mk3 projects on here I'm pretty tempted to have a go at it myself.
Got a 55 plate ('06) dynamique S 1.6 as shown below.
2014-04-30103659_zpsd05de76c.jpg

Already debadged most of the back (as that's a simple task) but kept the RENAULT lettering.
7a39699e-82d7-4984-89ef-28a50478d7a5_zpsee927288.jpg

Have been looking at getting it lower as the ride height is something special :p
Was tempted to get it down on 40/45mm springs, would I need to uprate shocks or anything for either of the heights aforementioned?
Also I'm guessing it's got projector headlights, 'cause of the black surround to the headlights? Am tempted to HID's... not a fan of the yellowy lights it has. Would I need to get anything else fitted with HID's to meet UK regulations?
2014-04-30103708_zps8ea1a823.jpg

Cheers all! (Sorry about the questions but I'm warning you there may be many more...;))
Ben

Listerine & Poledo
you could fit Xenons from another Mk.3 surely?

It'd probably run into big money, by the time you've put a bumper in place with washers, plumbed in said washers etc, but it'd be 400% legal and a lot brighter.

That said, your fog lights should really be yellowed ;)

1.5 dci86 (09)
Yeah I potentially could! I've read about them needing auto levelling and/or washers right? Might be a job for the future then, smaller money projects might be a good start point I think...
Haha yeah everyone seems to love a yellow fog light :p Cheers for the reply!

Listerine & Poledo
Yellow fogs are the French way (well, were anyway).

I'm not 100% on the MOT issues behind retro-fitting xenons, but if they were factory-fit you would need auto-leveling and washers.

1.5 dci86 (09)
Ah yeah I remember seeing them on cars out in France on various trips there!
I'll have to have a chat when I take the car in for an MOT next, or sooner if I have money burning a hole in my pocket...
Also I may look into silvervision indicators to clean up the front and back ends a bit more!

renault clio 1.2 mk3
you would need a reflector unit because if you put the HIDS in now all you will do is blind everybody on the road! i had some in and they are too bright and you see people in front covering there mirrors because they cant see!

1.5 dci86 (09)
Hi jacob1996, I thought I've seen people mention that projector headlights are more suitable for HID kits? It's not a necessary mod in my eyes anyway :) may just get whiter full beam bulbs and led sidelights :) cheers for the response man!

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Not seen a Mk3 up close yet with a sunroof.

Re: HID's, personally, I've not bothered. I went down the route of better bulbs. They're a challenge in themselves to change anyway.

I think those who have lowered on springs have kept their original shocks. I bit the bullet and went for AP coilovers.
You'll probably want some spacers for the wheels too, to push them out a bit.

I never got the whole yellow foglights thing. I think they look rotten personally.

Oh, and get some silvervision bulbs or similar to replace the indicators.

Clio mk3
I've done pretty much everything you want done to my mk3. It's only advised to change shocks if you go lower than 45mm,I have 40mm and it's all fine. Silvervisions really do give a nice look to the car. And for the yellow fogs I think it's just a phase,I had them and then changed it back after a couple of weeks and it looks better without in my opinion:)

1.5 dci86 (09)
Yeah the sunroof is nice! Can open it while driving along too which is nice in sun... (when it is actually out :p). Yeah coilovers don't really bother me at the moment, it'd be nice to go that low but it's not wholly practical haha. Yeah the dynamique (and dyn. S) I think have wider arches? So spacers would be on the cards once lowered to get it standing nice. Yeah the silvervisions would tidy it up nicely, and if I'm keeping everything else clean looking I'd rather not have the yellow fogs personally :p
Cheers JP83 - what bulbs would you recommend for whiter light? I've heard that the bulbs are a pain in the arse to change anyway so might not do that until necessary.
Thanks also bennettxo - I'll scan for your thread or pics if you've got either, would be nice to see a more finished project :D

Clio mk3
Yeah the sunroof is nice! Can open it while driving along too which is nice in sun... (when it is actually out :p). Yeah coilovers don't really bother me at the moment, it'd be nice to go that low but it's not wholly practical haha. Yeah the dynamique (and dyn. S) I think have wider arches? So spacers would be on the cards once lowered to get it standing nice. Yeah the silvervisions would tidy it up nicely, and if I'm keeping everything else clean looking I'd rather not have the yellow fogs personally :p
Cheers JP83 - what bulbs would you recommend for whiter light? I've heard that the bulbs are a pain in the arse to change anyway so might not do that until necessary.
Thanks also bennettxo - I'll scan for your thread or pics if you've got either, would be nice to see a more finished project :D

Here's a few pictures of mine mate:)

The silver visions
e9e5a8ad.jpg

Then a quick before and after picture after I plasti dipped my wheels and lowered.
nure9e7e.jpg

8epupuqy.jpg

1.5 dci86 (09)
Silvervisions make quite a bit of difference really don't they bennettxo!
Plus the ride height looks heaps and bounds better! Thanks for the pics mate!
Also, open question; would a black gloss vinyl wrap make the roof look a bit better? thinking it would blend the sun roof in with the rest of the car? Don't know if anyone has tried that yet?

Clio mk3
Silvervisions make quite a bit of difference really don't they bennettxo!
Plus the ride height looks heaps and bounds better! Thanks for the pics mate!
Also, open question; would a black gloss vinyl wrap make the roof look a bit better? thinking it would blend the sun roof in with the rest of the car? Don't know if anyone has tried that yet?

Yea the silvervisions really do tidy it up. No problem mate! Seen a few cars with a black roof,personally I like it:)

1.5 dci86 (09)
Yeah man it's such a cheap mod putting in silvervisions! Yeah I quite like it too, not sure how it'd look on a clio but would hopefully blend in the sun roof to make a pseudo-panoramic onei if you get me :p
I might do down the line Thomas, kinda depends on how much it would take to make them legal tbh. If it's like £60 for the HID kit then £150 for plumbing etc for washers then I'll put it off till down the line, if that makes sense :p

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep

Have a search on the forum - there's a lot of discussion about what bulbs to use. Personally I went with Halfords super bright ones, but then I have a trade card.

Re: coilovers, you don't have to "slam it" just because you're on coilovers. I've got mine set about 40-45mm drop like you'd get with springs, but the advantage is I've got shocks suited for the job now. Rather than wearing out the standard ones quicker. Plus, they're stiffer so are good for when I take it on track.

<---- If you click the link under my name, it'll take you to my project thread.

1.5 dci86 (09)
Awesome, cheers JP83! I'll have a look at the halfords ones, see if I can get them to show me a good way to change bulbs etc :p
Ah okay I'm with you, from what I've gathered (and what you've said too) they make for a stiffer ride? How good is the ride on a day to day basis, i.e. town driving/motorways etc?
I'll definitely have a look at your thread man! Cheers again!

Yeah man it's such a cheap mod putting in silvervisions! Yeah I quite like it too, not sure how it'd look on a clio but would hopefully blend in the sun roof to make a pseudo-panoramic onei if you get me :p
I might do down the line Thomas, kinda depends on how much it would take to make them legal tbh. If it's like £60 for the HID kit then £150 for plumbing etc for washers then I'll put it off till down the line, if that makes sense :p

I haven't got washers/auto levelers on my xenon light's and I've been fine :)

1.5 dci86 (09)
I haven't got washers/auto levelers on my xenon light's and I've been fine :)

How's this been for MOT's etc? I saw the Po-Po pulling over someone the other day for what I would only assume is because of their lights... although they were a bit on the blue side :p

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Awesome, cheers JP83! I'll have a look at the halfords ones, see if I can get them to show me a good way to change bulbs etc :p
Ah okay I'm with you, from what I've gathered (and what you've said too) they make for a stiffer ride? How good is the ride on a day to day basis, i.e. town driving/motorways etc?
I'll definitely have a look at your thread man! Cheers again!

If you have very small hands, it's do-able.

However, I have found the only way for me to do it, is bumper off. Not pretty and time-consuming, but I changed all the bulbs last time round.
Hopefully only be a job to do every 2 years.

As for the ride. I find it fine for day to day driving, but it is stiff. So you will notice every divit, pothole and bad bit of road surface. 17's and low profile tyres won't help either.
However, it's been like it for over a year without it driving me nuts. The only thing that did was the knocking from the boot (Common problem on MK3's). That was sorted by adjusting the striker plate on the boot latch, and adding some electrical tape. You'll see that in my thread.

1.5 dci86 (09)
I'll have to look at it when I get round to purchasing new bulbs :) If I can get the halfords guys to help out that'll hopefully save me some bother :p If I change the front grilles too I can kill two birds with one stone and change the bulbs around then :)
Ah okay, I'm sure I can cope with noticing potholes more... if anything it'll help me treat the car better as I'll strive to avoid them more :p I'm gonna keep the 16's I think, they look alright imo.
I've not noticed the boot knocking at all, but I may get the car thoroughly checked over to see if there is anything that needs doing (so far I've noticed lack of power changing to 2nd when cold, sharp jolting when changing gear sometimes to 2nd and 3rd and clicking on startup sometimes...sounds like something mobile is clipping something else... maybe the engine cover?)
I did notice it in your threat cheers man, it's a pretty sweet looking car :p kudos! :p

1.5 dci86 (09)
So are they just plug and play bulbs if you get me? Heard xenon ones don't last all that long :p any chance of a link our something if that's not too much hassle? Cheers again Bennett!

Clio mk3
So are they just plug and play bulbs if you get me? Heard xenon ones don't last all that long :p any chance of a link our something if that's not too much hassle? Cheers again Bennett!

Yea just plug them In mate,I don't have a link sorry,I just typed in h7 xenons and they came up I think they're about £5. I think your lights are h11? And you can get a hid kit on eBay for like £20. I had them on mine but I don't have projectors so I took them off

1.5 dci86 (09)
I might just stick with the plug and play bulbs for the time being I think :) should do the job nice enough, and silvervisions should clean up front and back ends nicely :) yeah i think it's H1 for the main beam but will obvs double check before buying any :p cheers again pal!

Clio mk3
I might just stick with the plug and play bulbs for the time being I think :) should do the job nice enough, and silvervisions should clean up front and back ends nicely :) yeah i think it's H1 for the main beam but will obvs double check before buying any :p cheers again pal!

With the hid kit you just plug it into where the bulb goes,it's just as easy! No problem buddy

1.5 dci86 (09)
So it's been a while since I last posted. Had a few issues which required me going back and forth to the garage which weren't resolved after roughly a month of trying. Since then it was decided I'd change the little 1.6 and now have a far less cool 5dr 1.5 dci 86 (with a tomtom and leather seats...).
Again, mods might be limited due to studentness and I'll get a picture of her up on Wednesday.
Was just wondering if anyone has done much in the way of modding the newer diesel clios? Where can a remap be had in/near south wales and what are benefits (if any) of an egr delete?
Cheers everyone!