ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

.mkv on PS3

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Thought i'd make a thread on this as after reading on avforums it seems ps3 video 9 (free download) seems to work with converting to mp4. Has anyone tried this? does it retain HD quality as mp4? i'm going to give it a go with a 1080p.mkv trailer and i'll post back results, cause it could well be that the holy grail of ps3 format playback is actually half way there already! yay :)

from

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531985

Ford Kuga Phev
Hi there, i have been doing this with Lost and Jericho, picture is excllent and the conversion only take 5 mins!

Only prob is if your streaming the mp4 from your pc wirelessly it can judder abit due to wireless speeds.

I just pop the mp4 on my usb stick and watch them that way!

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
does it remain at 720p or 1080p respectively? or does it compress them (which seems pointless tbh)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
so far looking good, tversity all working and transcoding automatically to 1900x1080p. Runs HDWMV nicely.

Just converting a .mkv file using the converter i poster and then i'll stream it and see what happens!

So what are you doing exactely? downloading lost in HD then using this thing to play it on your PS3 to your tv in HD? How are you transferring it from the pc to the ps3?

Octy VRS
I've been using this for a few months now and have had mixed results. I probably need to update it as I'm sure any niggles will have been ironed out. Exactly which one do you use in the drop down menu in the conversion page?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
So what are you doing exactely? downloading lost in HD then using this thing to play it on your PS3 to your tv in HD? How are you transferring it from the pc to the ps3?

I'm using a program called tversity on my pc to sream stuff onto the ps3, very easy to setup. Get it installed, drag the content you want into the library window. On the ps3, search for media servers, thats it. As for the mkv files they need to be converted. I'm using mkv2vob converter which i posted above, will change the mkv file into mp4 which you can then add to tversity.

I've been using this for a few months now and have had mixed results. I probably need to update it as I'm sure any niggles will have been ironed out. Exactly which one do you use in the drop down menu in the conversion page?

settings for what mate? on tversity, i've set it to always transcode to 1900*1080 (for 1080 res you might want 720 for your telly). Or for mkv2vob i'm using automatic transcode as it will work out automatically if the video stream needs to be converted or not, if it doesn't it's pretty quick. what are you using? ps3video9?

Octy VRS
Nah, I meant settings on Video9. There are loads of different options MKV, AVI, MP2, MP4 etc in the drop down in the conversion page. Which one do you use?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
on video9 (which there was little point me using as the program i posted is simplier and works) your supposed to use the mkv pass-through option which demux's the audio and remux's it with the video stream into mp4. apparently, it's very quick. let me know how u get on

Octy VRS
So sod trying to convert with Video9 and just use Tversity? I've been using that with mixed results too, still it's better than Orb. I'll have a go tonight with Lost. Where is the MKV pass through option?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
no you can't convert them with tversity. Use the program posted above, it's called mkv2vob.exe easy to use.

in ps3video9 the mkv passthrough is in the profile options. when you're in the convert screen, select ps3 and then mkv passthough. i'm going to try that shortly to see if it's quicker than mkv2vob

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
yeh i've run a few mkvs through it and compared with gotsent and ps3video9, it's awesome.

Will split to 4g if you need, automatically detects foreign video filters/audio issues and encodes as necessary.

From what i understand if you have ac3 sound from the mkv it will simply reformat the file, which literally, taking a 10gig mkv file takes about 2-3 minutes on mine. However if there is an issue with the audio(the mkv was coded with DTS for example)/video it will transcode which takes about 2-3 hours for the same size file.

A great all in one, simple click'n'go option, can't recommend it enough. mp4'ing the whole collection as it's got a handy queue option on there, hopefully by tomrrow night i'll have everything converted and streaming over tversity.

Dirty E91
ok tried this, file plays like it's on fastforward and sound is out of synch? Any help, loooked like it was just plug and play?

Last edited:
  BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
what exactly have you tried mate? what file are you using? what programs have you used?

ValverInBits
LOL!!!! i'd be excited about that to....FINISH HIM...

back back down lowPunch

repfat1.gif

YEAH!

dk

911 GTS Cab
no you can't convert them with tversity. Use the program posted above, it's called mkv2vob.exe easy to use.

in ps3video9 the mkv passthrough is in the profile options. when you're in the convert screen, select ps3 and then mkv passthough. i'm going to try that shortly to see if it's quicker than mkv2vob
thanks for that, that is the simplest thing ever, takes minutes!

can't wait to watch lost in hd tomorrow now!

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
welcome.

As i've said before the best program is mkv2vob, easily the quickest and best output. just watched godzilla via tversity 1080p 5.1 nice :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
OMFG

Lost in 720p 5.1 sound - WOW

Band of Brothers in 720p - WOW I've never seen this series but always wanted to in hd and now i get my wish!

This is like Christmas all over!

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm still trying to find a quick conversion method on the Mac which does not take 2 hours for a 45 minute programme. I assume I need something that will passthrough the video and audio rather than converting it?

dk

911 GTS Cab
the programme david mentioned above took around 30 seconds to convert lost 1.2gb mkv to vob, very quick.

the 2.2gb BOB files needed converting from DTS to AC3 so they maybe took about 10 minutes.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
yeh the program isn't for mac's though. i've read that program you mentioned was the standard choice. mkv2vob is just so frickin clever though!

dk. you should try cranking it up a notch now, get yourself some high def movies, the matrix for example looks fantastic in HD....so pleased i found that program tbh! ...only thing is, each movie is about 10-15gig so converting eitehre takes 10 minutes or if it converts....about 2-3 hours! worth it though and you can queue them up too with mkv2vob

dk

911 GTS Cab
yeh the program isn't for mac's though. i've read that program you mentioned was the standard choice. mkv2vob is just so frickin clever though!

dk. you should try cranking it up a notch now, get yourself some high def movies, the matrix for example looks fantastic in HD....so pleased i found that program tbh! ...only thing is, each movie is about 10-15gig so converting eitehre takes 10 minutes or if it converts....about 2-3 hours! worth it though and you can queue them up too with mkv2vob
I have the Matrix Box Set on HD-DVD;)

I'm just happy to get to see BoB in HD as i've missed it up until now.

I buy lots of Blurays so I doubt I will use it for movies, prefer to own the discs.

350z & 16v Maxi
If you are downloading HD then doing the above conversion you are totally wasting your bandwidth.

You want the output to be VOB not MP4 and the codec to be MPEG-2 (fast)

dk

911 GTS Cab
surely it doesn't matter, its just giving you the option of what file type you want it to be, its still going to be 720p?

i choose as you have put though, vob and fast.

Dirty E91
I f I want to run it straight off my ps3 it's got to be svi or mp4 though?

Will VOB run off the PS3 or is this for streaming only?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
mp4 will be fine for high def. vob will also run but use the fast option as otherwise it'll take ages.