ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

modding a williams=can o worms?

s1 williams/106gti
right i have my series 1 willy and want some opinions.
im really not wanting to mod this car as it is what it is, maybe some minor underbonnet changes and the brakes but am i gonna get ridiculed if i do ?

planning:
blue samcos
pro-bolt kit
polished cam covers
braided brake lines
maybe four pots
k+n panel filter

...........now i would love some imput here cos its a minefield modifying a car thats limited edition and has a huge following.

testing the waters

Evo 6, E92 320d
Those things would'nt make any bad additions, just keep the old stuff for when you sell it on.

williams 2 turbo
i have changed the wheels on mine, stuck on 4 pots, braidied lines, have polished rocker cover, cam cover, engine mount cover, header tank, charge cooler etc, etc, omex 600, and turbo conversion, and is good for the best part of 300 brake. if some one wants to redicule mine, they will have to catch it to tell me. The way i see it, it's a car, your car, do what you want to it, and sod the purists.

s1 williams/106gti
Those things would'nt make any bad additions, just keep the old stuff for when you sell it on.
thats the plan

www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum

As long as you're not wrecking it with bodykits and chavness, subtle mods can be acceptable... :)
yeah never done that and i owned a s2rst !! lol i just thought some well planned and practical things couldnt possibly find me wandering into the minefield thats forum warfare !! you should see the stick the boys on 106owners and the rallye register get about their s1rallye's !

s1 williams/106gti
i have changed the wheels on mine, stuck on 4 pots, braidied lines, have polished rocker cover, cam cover, engine mount cover, header tank, charge cooler etc, etc, omex 600, and turbo conversion, and is good for the best part of 300 brake. if some one wants to redicule mine, they will have to catch it to tell me. The way i see it, it's a car, your car, do what you want to it, and sod the purists.
agreed.mines a s1 so thought i might get lynched if i touch it.cant be many left now ?

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Some good mods there that will increase driveablity and the condition of the car. Please Please dont do any exterior mods! Willys look sweet as they are.

s1 williams/106gti
Some good mods there that will increase driveablity and the condition of the car. Please Please dont do any exterior mods! Willys look sweet as they are.
if it makes you feel better out of all the cars i have ever ever had none of them have had aftermarket wheels or kits.i hate all that s**t with a passion only normally reserved for fantasy horror novels:nono:

ZX6R B1H
i have a williams 2 and altho it isnt a williams one, its still of a limited run... but i have taken the badges off mine :D

Upto now, i've stripped mine and thats about all, but as long as the looks are not effected as said, nobody can say anything :D

After all its your car, and its ment to be driven so a few tweeks here and there which aid that will not hurt. :D

I've had a Williams 1 & 2 and there awesome cars.......

Have a look on the Williams Clio forum as there a good bunch on there and will give you lots of good advice.

Oh and a Williams is great fun round the Ring!

:)

ValverInBits
Yeah, those mods sound fine. It won't go any faster though ;)

Your right not to stick a cone filter on it (57i or similar) Valvers and williams suffer badly from the heat soak from those.

The first thing on my list if it's a williams one would be to make sure everything is mint. And as said, keep ALL standard parts for sale.
Happy modding :)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

+1

williams and trophy
i wouldnt worry bout it tbh mate. not really into the bling underbonnet stuff meself tbh, i mean who sees it wen ur driving it....these cars are for just that after all. ;)

i have coilovers, cams, remapped ecu, stripped, buckets etc in mine. well in 0051. drove it to spa last year, terrorizing the euro roads. never missed a beat

have a s/s zorst , cat back on my other one, but thats it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_TtEOb4fY2k&feature=channel_page

love that track.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone who says Williams don't take punishment should take heed of 2lives post. That car has done many, many 000's of miles being punished like that!

Good going lad.

williams and trophy
end of the day mate. its your car. sure there arent many left now, and getting fewer by the year. but the car is only a production model that will suit the general public. if u want a stiffer , more bone jarring ride..........go for it, whack some coilies on. they do enhance the handling imho. same with brakes etc. iv found no real reason so far to upgrade to anything other than std calipers/discs with uprated pads and flexis, theyv not let me down on either of my cars so far.....except the track car on last trackday at oulton lol. but thats another story

the cars yours, do with it as u see fit. obviously if u keep evrything u take off and refit for resale, then its no probs whatsoever, if u decide to keep it as u like it, then the genuine std ones will be that little bit rarer. which should also keep the purists happy as their cars will be worth more. but tbh. there arent many unmodified examples around now, either theyv had engine/susp work, or theyv had quite a bit of bodywork done, either to stop the rot or had kits fitted, either way, an unmolested version will be worth more.

go for it.

few clips for ya lol. both at oulton

road car, being followed by flans beast.

[youtube]D4DTYrE3pWw[/youtube]

track car

[youtube]mWiV5zFTbys[/youtube]

s1 williams/106gti
that video of the track car is evil.im plannin minor things and you go and wave that in my face:evil:MUST STAY FOCUSED AND NOT CREATE A BEAST , MUST STAY FOCUSED AND NOT CREATE A BEAST , MUST ST...............

clio 16v
my mate baught a williams last month. 2nd day of having it my other mate reversed into it denting and cracking ps rear panel..

690 quid for the panel and flick paint.. wounded

320d
As long as the mods are good then I don't see a problem tbh. Although it would be worth more standard. Tbh how much longer will it actually last, 90% of williams made will be off the road within 5 years so you may aswell mod it whilst its still got life in it.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
As long as the mods are good then I don't see a problem tbh. Although it would be worth more standard. Tbh how much longer will it actually last, 90% of williams made will be off the road within 5 years so you may aswell mod it whilst its still got life in it.

Do you try to make a habit of chatting s**t about things you have no idea about?

Clio Williams & 182
I've had some serious cars in my time, and although I drive like a pussy, when I get in the Williams it's an event.

Sure, working on it can be a pain, but at least you can work on them unlike some modern cars nowadays. Keep on top of the wear and tear and it will gift you with some amazing fun.

Almost everytime I am outside doing work on my car someone comes over to chat, saying they remember these cars and various tales of crossing paths with one and being pwned.

If you mod it, keep it simple. The less stuff you do will save you hassle when it's not quite right etc. Good brakes and fully renewed suspension and a thorough service and just repairing the bits that the previous non-mechanically minded owner didn't bother with, after that, your away. Track days, fast road days, it will handle it. Only thing you want to seriously keep on top of in my mind is the cooling system, which if left and has not been looked after will cause issues like headgasket going bye-bye. Costly and a pain in the arse to repair if you do it yerself.

Only problem I have is noobs in their lard-wagons trying to start races and driving badly around you. Steer clear of them and let them go die somewhere else.

The Williams, a piece of history is.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
:clap::clap::clap: Very well said young man :rasp: :approve:

Didn't know you ventured over this side of the fence Dan :rasp:

s1 williams/106gti
The Williams, a piece of history is.
agreed thats why i want to keep it simple with the four pots and simple things under the bonnet.gonna keep the air box and standard exhaust but may i repeat MAY do the cams.i dont agree with visually fecking these cars up but a few simply rectified underbonnet things isnt a problem on the whole.going to spend most of my funds on getting it back up to showrom condition.as i havent paid a penny for it its all very very worth it.thanks for the imput guys your just repeating everything i have told my mod happy , fast and the furious obsessed , loud exhaust brigade , rocking vinyl , idiot so called car head mates lol ............... dont worry i know what i have and im not gonna ruin it :D

williams and trophy
agreed thats why i want to keep it simple with the four pots and simple things under the bonnet.gonna keep the air box and standard exhaust but may i repeat MAY do the cams.i dont agree with visually fecking these cars up but a few simply rectified underbonnet things isnt a problem on the whole.going to spend most of my funds on getting it back up to showrom condition.as i havent paid a penny for it its all very very worth it.thanks for the imput guys your just repeating everything i have told my mod happy , fast and the furious obsessed , loud exhaust brigade , rocking vinyl , idiot so called car head mates lol ............... dont worry i know what i have and im not gonna ruin it :D

nowt wrong with sticking an exhaust on it mate, but stick with the oe manifold and go for a de-cat, will free some ponies up.

replacement k&n or likewise in std airbox, 4 pots im not so sure need doin tbh. a good working set of oe units with decent pads will suffice for all but over extreme driving imho.

Renaultsport 200
do what ever you like i say so long as you dont change the outside of it.

The absolute key thing here is, YOU LEAVE THE GOLD WHEELS WELL ALONE! :)

williams and trophy
i wouldnt even say that tbh. i have a nice set of newly refurbed silver cup rims....look quite well hehe

s1 williams/106gti
nowt wrong with sticking an exhaust on it mate, but stick with the oe manifold and go for a de-cat, will free some ponies up.

replacement k&n or likewise in std airbox, 4 pots im not so sure need doin tbh. a good working set of oe units with decent pads will suffice for all but over extreme driving imho.
i know but im a lil bit sick of loud exhausts.........plus the norm for me is to strip the car out 2 weeks after fitting an exhaust has happened to my:
mini x2
metro gti
s2 rs turbo
charade gtti
205gti
106gti
.......dont know why.just a silly character quirk of mine:dead:
i wasnt sure about the 4pots just wanted peoples views had them on the metro and really liked them,apart from in the ice

YOU LEAVE THE GOLD WHEELS WELL ALONE! :)
they get refurbed first week of feb:rasp:

williams and trophy
i know but im a lil bit sick of loud exhausts.........plus the norm for me is to strip the car out 2 weeks after fitting an exhaust has happened to my:
mini x2
metro gti
s2 rs turbo
charade gtti
205gti
106gti
.......dont know why.just a silly character quirk of mine:dead:
i wasnt sure about the 4pots just wanted peoples views had them on the metro and really liked them,apart from in the ice

they get refurbed first week of feb:rasp:

they dont have to overly loud tbh mate. btw if u do de-cat......be prepared to replace ctr section if std fairly regularly. they seem to have a tendancy to blow the baffles out ;)

and they do get a little twitchier at the back when stripped lol

the 4 pots would b miles better than the pish metro brakes. the std set up on the williams is very good if fully working imo. a decent set of pads will help u brake jus as good as most 4 pots at a fraction of the cost. iv even outbraked 4 potted cars b4 now.

s1 williams/106gti
they dont have to overly loud tbh mate. btw if u do de-cat......be prepared to replace ctr section if std fairly regularly. they seem to have a tendancy to blow the baffles out ;)
yeah if i did do it then it would be de-cat and then cat back but would want it lookin standard and not loud just sounding good.

the 4 pots would b miles better than the pish metro brakes. the std set up on the williams is very good if fully working imo. a decent set of pads will help u brake jus as good as most 4 pots at a fraction of the cost. iv even outbraked 4 potted cars b4 now.
yeh you have put me off.:dead: