ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Moffxx Iceberg 172 Cup - Progress Thread

Focus ST
Great, thanks guys. Tomorrow morning I’ll drain / clean up the water and see how much builds up over the week. Then at the weekend I’ll grab something to seal the grommets and take it from there.

Also I got a delivery while I was out

A8544A5F-58A5-470C-B413-390CD1259035.jpeg

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Looks very tidy, my first RS was an iceberg ph1. It may look immaculate but definitely check the underside, especially around where the rear beam brackets bolts to the shell, the fuel cap area and inside the rear door cards. You may be lucky but most go in those spots.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
As Dom says, check and I’d get it on a ramp clean and ACF50 the 5hit out of it.

It looks just like my iceberg car, same wheels but FF. I really like the colour, in late afternoon low light it goes almost light blue. It’s a much nicer colour than the titanium silver.

I didn’t really look too hard at mine when I bought it (quick, cheap purchase after long day) but I’d asked about rust and seller said only bit was a tiny bit inside the fuel door (which he led me to). I looked at it the other day closer and the arches are starting to bubble up right next to the bumper.

If yours is mint I’d have the bumpers, liners etc off and clean it all out, make sure it’s not rubbing, rust kill any jacking damage on sills and try and get a load inside the sills to run down any drain holes.

Congrats on the car, looks great.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Great, thanks guys. Tomorrow morning I’ll drain / clean up the water and see how much builds up over the week. Then at the weekend I’ll grab something to seal the grommets and take it from there.

Also I got a delivery while I was out

View attachment 1502203
Where were these from, I'm amazed nobody is making the standard ones yet

Focus ST
As Dom says, check and I’d get it on a ramp clean and ACF50 the 5hit out of it.

It looks just like my iceberg car, same wheels but FF. I really like the colour, in late afternoon low light it goes almost light blue. It’s a much nicer colour than the titanium silver.

I didn’t really look too hard at mine when I bought it (quick, cheap purchase after long day) but I’d asked about rust and seller said only bit was a tiny bit inside the fuel door (which he led me to). I looked at it the other day closer and the arches are starting to bubble up right next to the bumper.

If yours is mint I’d have the bumpers, liners etc off and clean it all out, make sure it’s not rubbing, rust kill any jacking damage on sills and try and get a load inside the sills to run down any drain holes.

Congrats on the car, looks great.

I think iceberg looks so much nicer than titanium. Like you say, afternoon light and you get a nice blue tinge.

I managed to get a good look at the arches, no bubbling in the paint and felt OK behind. This morning I’m going to go out and get a better look at some of the other places mentioned.

Won’t get it up on stands till the weekend, but when I do, bumpers off, wheels off, maybe arch liners too. Get everything nice and cleaned out and get a good idea if there’s anything that needs treated!

Focus ST
Where were these from, I'm amazed nobody is making the standard ones yet
Just from eBay. Real carbon, nice quality!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
BTT sell some plastic ones on eBay Dom

Not particularly cheap mind!

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I’d get the plastic ones, they’re way more OEM looking in shape and actually have proper angles to them. The Carbon ones look way too rounded and not at all good. Even if you paint them it’ll look like some odd rounded bulge.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Well yeah, that’s great if you love them doesn’t really matter what anyone else thinks. I have them on my track car (bought like it) and I’d happily swap for some iceberg plastic ones as they just look way too smooth, round and ‘homemade’ to me.

Focus ST
So I managed to find a bit of time to get out to the car before work and have a bit more of a detailed look.

0CE2FE52-45FA-4966-B7DF-CD207705F92C.jpeg

331FFD27-9359-49D5-9B2C-1EF289363F7F.jpeg

Few pics of the overall look, really clean, quite happy so far. From 5ft it’s perfection. Start to get a little closer and some stuff pops up.

Firstly, all the turinis are mint. Absolutely perfect. But look at the wheel bolts....who puts bolts that rusty on wheels that clean ? So need to order ASAP. Any recommendations?

32171829-3A52-4F65-982B-BE4FB3624713.jpeg

Staying in the lower wheel area for now, tyres are all PS3s, 6mm right across both the back tyres, nice and even. Fronts are a bit worn on the outer edge, I think this is probably down to the wheels rubbing on the arches due to how it sits. I don’t think it’s particularly low ? Unless there are any other suggestions it might need raised a touch at the front cause the wheels have rubbed away the arches a bit.
6AF78BC3-4CFB-4640-B23E-9C1A4C585F8B.jpeg

CAC04196-57A6-493F-BB31-26417C38F490.jpeg

Couple of other very minor bits, rusty stone chip on the bonnet and a bit of rust on the wiper assembly.

C9605717-98BC-4F62-B9A1-D3FAE6B9B722.jpeg

40390A43-8BD2-42FF-A388-92EF9AB5F955.jpeg

Also it’s crying out for a new filter.....
FB88D57E-E4BE-4579-ACF1-831FEB3A5DA6.jpeg

Now for the main thing I had a look at this morning, wanted to sort out the water in the wheel well, see what damage there could be. There was a bit more water than I initially though, so I removed everything, cleaned it out and gave it a quick scrub down with some quite weak APC. It’s come up a bit better but I think I’ll go down the route of sanding it back and painting. Will just be a spray can job since no one will see it 🤷‍♂️ Just looks like surface rust so shouldn’t need to sand back much.

28AB6691-9C97-45A7-94A7-E4ED98C609F5.jpeg

308F0193-55CD-46C2-A037-A6DB31AF5D4F.jpeg

So for now the car will probably sit in the driveway till the weekend. Will get it up in the air and look underneath.

Firstly going to replace the wheel bolts and filter if I can get some delivered by the weekend. Then from there probably treat the wheel well issue, seal up the grommets and get it sanded back and painted.

Will decide where to go from there, but think it’ll be sorting all the little maintenance / niggles before we look at mods.

Car is also crying out for a paint correction and some wax. But I think by the time I fix all the little bits and that it’ll probably be too deep in to winter for it, so that might wait till new year.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I’d say it may be going on the rear arches where it meets the bumper, looks the same as my iceberg one. If you zoom in on the pic you can see it’s wavy on the edge & blowing out a bit above that. I’d clean it off from behind and rust kill it but I’d suspect there’s a fixing there and rubbage that’s starts the issue maybe. Not sure it’ll help much at this stage but worth a go. My car has been painted previously so god knows what’s gone on in its past. My black car is still perfect despite being 20k higher but it’s original paint.

AEC6A11E-FD90-4419-BA47-CEFAEE4FCF1E.jpeg

Focus ST
So today was meant to be the big day, the day I got my teeth stuck in. Ended up running about doing other things all morning. Eventually got to the car about half 2 and went to jack it up to get it on stands to check it out and guess what ? Too low for the jack to fit under.....typical. Will need to source a couple planks of wood from somewhere tomorrow.

The wheel well is a swimming pool again and the carpet at the left hand side is soaked, so I’m pretty sure it’s the left headlight grommet that’s letting it in. Bought some sealant and that’s tomorrow’s job. Want to make sure water is stopped from getting in before dealing with the rust and painting it.

Gave it a quick wash since all my plans were ruined.

04816E99-0809-4B40-83A8-0825EE06D02F.jpeg

Too dark for an after photo but it scrubs up well for near 20 years old.

Told myself I wasn’t going to put my wheel on till I sorted out the sticky plastics (tips & tricks welcomed btw??) but I might do it tomorrow cause I can’t help myself.

Also on the lookout for a decent stereo, needs Bluetooth and DAB. Recommendations ?

Focus ST
Got the grommets all cleaned out and sealed up.
CE218FD9-29D6-4DCA-8894-BB4CB09F6465.jpeg

And I absolutely couldn’t resist fitting the snappy wheel, looks so good.

Out with the old....
9F39EB57-C332-4BDE-990C-8EC4324A8CBF.jpeg

In with the new 😎
2F9C6798-5065-45D3-87E2-25B5F0B2D415.jpeg

I also disconnected the door pulls and started removing the sticky stuff and I learned 2 things. Number 1) It does come off with a lot of effort and a little bit of GTR. Number 2) I don’t like scrubbing that hard.So instead I bought a set that’s been painted titanium.

5C257F86-9BB1-4715-B474-8EED947A115C.jpeg

Focus ST
Minor update after a little bit of drama. Car wouldn’t unlock so I went in via the passenger door and it just set the alarm off, immobiliser kicked in etc. Disconnected the battery waited a few seconds and everything was A OK. Battery terminals need a right good scrub though and the neg seems quite loose so may need a new connector.

Got a new air filter delivered so set about tackling that and caused a bit of an issue. Number 1, I ordered a filter that’s way too big 😂😂
48C24A6A-D2DF-4E2C-90CF-C40300D2DE69.jpeg

091FE6A6-0336-44CE-8B70-D9422B03C3F0.jpeg

So that’s all squashed in there in the mean time till I order a new one lol.

After fitting the filter though the car wouldn’t start, cranking over for a second or 2 then just cutting out. Few recommendations to check the crankshaft sensor but there’s no chance I knocked that while fitting a filter, it’s miles away. Anyway, took the intake off, shoogled a few wires and it fired up straight away. Will investigate more at the weekend.

Yip, sounds like a Clio!

When I bought my Cup, it had an induction kit similar to what you have and thankfully the original airbox was in the boot. I’ve put the Airbox back on and sold the induction kit.

If i was to go for an induction kit again, it would definitely be a KTec. My brother has one on his 182 and there are no fitting issues. Maybe not the cheapest but it’s been properly designed.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I have fitted the JMRS kit which is similar to the Ktec but much, much cheaper. I’m willing to guess the issues you are having will be the big white plug beneath the fuse box worth removing it all and giving the connectors a good clean.
89D6D067-280D-4331-876A-FC5A10A0DA90.jpeg

Focus ST
Yeah if it was me I would have the Ktec one but this was on when I got the car! So will just be keeping it, albeit with the correct filter size.

I don’t like the sound of something called “the white plug of death” lol. To be fair it doesn’t look that tidy under the bonnet, so need to have a good clean at the weekend.

Also sealed the grommets in the boot and there is still water getting in. Ideas ? The grommets are water tight cause the carpets behind them aren’t wet anymore so it’s coming from somewhere else.

Yeah if it was me I would have the Ktec one but this was on when I got the car! So will just be keeping it, albeit with the correct filter size.

I don’t like the sound of something called “the white plug of death” lol. To be fair it doesn’t look that tidy under the bonnet, so need to have a good clean at the weekend.

Also sealed the grommets in the boot and there is still water getting in. Ideas ? The grommets are water tight cause the carpets behind them aren’t wet anymore so it’s coming from somewhere else.
Did you look at the back lights ? I think they are known to let water in if the seals have perished.

Focus ST
French Electrical Drama

Ok so I’m having a little bit of electrical trouble and am not too sure where to go.

Key fobs won’t unlock the car. When I go in via passenger side, the alarm goes off. Only way to get it off is to DC battery / wait it out.

Car starts. No immobiliser issues. Dash lights all work etc

Lock button on the hazard panel doesn’t do anything, hazard lights don’t work, wipers / indicators etc all don’t work.

All of the above begins to work again after the battery is DC and reconnected or after the central locking fuse is removed and replaced. Although the issue kicks in again after a few minutes.

So far I’ve tested the battery and it’s all good.Terminals / connections have all been cleaned. Checked the negative earth and all is well. All fuses have been removed and checked and put back in.

Any ideas ?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Have you checked the big white connector at the bottom of the fuse box like I suggested? It’s definitely worth removing, cleaning the pins and refitting. Also have you lifted the cup holder/ash try out. That’s where the UCH is make sure it’s not had a can of coke dumped on it and that there is nothing loose

French Electrical Drama

Ok so I’m having a little bit of electrical trouble and am not too sure where to go.

Key fobs won’t unlock the car. When I go in via passenger side, the alarm goes off. Only way to get it off is to DC battery / wait it out.

Car starts. No immobiliser issues. Dash lights all work etc

Lock button on the hazard panel doesn’t do anything, hazard lights don’t work, wipers / indicators etc all don’t work.

All of the above begins to work again after the battery is DC and reconnected or after the central locking fuse is removed and replaced. Although the issue kicks in again after a few minutes.

So far I’ve tested the battery and it’s all good.Terminals / connections have all been cleaned. Checked the negative earth and all is well. All fuses have been removed and checked and put back in.

Any ideas ?

Did the car come with any kind of warranty? I’d be getting back onto the guy you bought it off. He was certainly talking the car up a lot on his FB page when it was for sale wasn’t he.

What rubs me up the wrong way was the way the dealer was describing the car on FB. Then for the owner to almost immediately run into what sounds like fairly serious issues, that would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Dont they have to give 3 months warranty as he is a trader ?

No, a warranty is generally an insurance based (or self funded) policy for a set period to help cover the cost of repair. They don’t have offer you one, but they cannot ignore your consumer rights. Those being; right to reject, which will be based on the road worthiness of the vehicle. However if it’s not starting or cannot be unlocked then there is absolutely a right to reject or ask for a resolution. As I’m sure he won’t want the car back.

worth reading through here, talks about your right to repair and 30day right to reject.

Last edited:
  Clio 182 cup
Could the fact he's messed with electrics and changed the steering wheel not void his rights as the seller might say he's caused the faults, just curious as thinking of doing a few bits on my new car

Focus ST
Thanks for the replies guys. I did look at the white plug of death but looks relatively undisturbed. Will get a closer look today and give it a clean etc.

As for consumer right to reject, it’s a tough one because as far as I know (and I admit to knowing very little) the onus is on me to prove that the fault was present at point of sale. I’m unsure if I can do that, since I can’t currently establish what the fault is.

Got more time to investigate today although it’s rather wet outside. If I don’t come up with anything today then it’ll need to go for a diagnosis.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
My silver clio has a similar issue where i get a fault light if i move the wiring loom where the white plug is . The wiring loom is probably the culprit or relay pins , the cabling becomes brittle over the years so they can snap or you can get intermittent faults which a slight wiggle on the loom may fix. Its just not ideal when you have just bought the car and paid decent money for it.

I know its part of the clio experiance but the better conditions ones tend to be spot on. My RB 182 was my daily and never had one issue with a 100 mile daily commute.

I have a locking issue on the boot now and then where it doesnt lock

Focus ST
UCH out and all checked, doesn’t look damaged in any way...

8546E142-1100-4F8F-8141-686DF70AB148.jpeg

203964EF-7F53-49B5-A0BA-7AE18E0D2741.jpeg

E0080459-4092-4398-9BD7-AFBF15985270.jpeg

AD0AB9D2-564C-4CE7-AF3D-67EA1EB835CC.jpeg

On to further inspect the engine bay big white plug of death it would seem. I’m too hungover for this business.

Focus ST
Right OK, so slight corrosion on one of the pins in the big white plug of death. Cleaned with contact cleaner and all tied back up.

21BF9D5F-F9D9-4E3C-BF76-42A9DD38A9A5.jpeg

I *think* we have progress. Hazard lights are coming on, keys are working, lock button is working. And I’ve just noticed as well that I’m getting a beeping when the lights are on and engine is off / key isn’t in ignition. Don’t think it’s done that before.

Going inside for a cup of tea and will return in 30 mins or something to see how we’re getting on.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Great news, if you can try and get some wire wool on the pins to remove the corrosion. Then hammer again with contact cleaner that definitely looks like we suspected the culprit