ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More lively -not- on shell’s finest

CTR EK9 turbo

As it instructs on the filler cap to use 98 and everyone says the Optimax is wonder-juice ive used it at every fill up. For a change i decided to mix in some super unleaded from total and also from Texaco.

Dunno whether its just an "ecotek effect" but it seems more lively and pulls harder?

Maybe it was bored of the usual optiplonk?

Simon Optimax is loads of CRAP ! if used in a standard or rechipped standard ECU. If you want to have the power they claim you will have to make a ECU which tells the knocking sensor you use a higher octane level.

Well let me tell you this we tried three different sort of gaz on a race clio. rechipped with standard cup ecu.

- octane 98 from the gasstation

- FINA fuel distributed by Renault Sport

- Optimax

Outcome all are in line difference around 1 Bhp (in my opinion due to temp. change.)

In older engines it can work but not in a Clio RS !!!

Cheers all !

will the mpg diffenrece add up the costs of the fuel ??

by the by we did NOT test mpgs of course because we dont mind in racing !

Yes it will Tony.

The 172 only produces all its power with 98ron.

Optimax cleans your engine and keeps it in good nick, its not really meant for added performance, but it can give you a little boost like when you change your spark plugs.

-Rob

Nissan R35 GT-R

I agree.

You may see very little change between the mentioned fuels, but as Rob said, if you used a fuel with a lower octane rating, you would see significant power/torque losses.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

same goes.. I had to put super 97 in .. and the engine didnt run a smoothly and felt a little less ready to rev, went back to optimax and all is good.

VW Potato

the only difference I notice is that the car seems a bit perkier and the throttle response is a touch crisper.

g

Mines has ran exclusively on Optimax since Day One, apart from one fill up when I was in the Highlands. Had to put in NUL that day, and the difference was easily noticeable - didnt pull as hard or cleanly all the way to the redline.