ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More weight loss advices

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Hello all!
Today I was thinking about what I could do to improve my Clio2 weight wise.
A sort list of removed/improved parts..

Removed:
all the tar panels on the chassis
All sound deadening
steel blocks in the engine bay
rear wiper and motor
ceiling with handles, light and pillar covers
Aircon pump, condenser etc
Carbon canister
Washer pump and tank
Isofix
Rear seats
Bonnet latch
Slam panel

Improvements:
Lighter brake calipers (ktec wilwood kit)
Front 197 seats with removed height mechanics and aluminum base to make them really low and save weight
Abarth 595 superlight belt buckles
No airbags
Made the cockpit loom lighter removing unused branches.
Replaced huge heater box/fan with cup model.
Spark lightweight battery
Fiberglass bonnet
Custom built 63.5mm exhaust made of 1.2mm tubing
I fitted ITB's so.. removed a lot of cast aluminum parts

Planned:
Rotors with ergal hub
Lightweight wheels (evocorse x3ma 15")
I am currently building some door panels shaped like oem but all carbon fiber

With those modifications I reached 955kg with half tank of fuel, on professional racing scales.

I built the car for track use, but I don't want to totally strip it down since she goes to the track on her wheels..

Any advices on what I could do next beside the already planned things?
I would avoid to go the lexan route..
But I am struggling to find what to do.

Thank you

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
You've done most of it by the sounds of it! I can think of a few things:

- Proper bucket seats instead of the OEM 197 ones (that's probably the biggest single saving I can think of)
- You could go lexan in the rear side windows and rear screen, but keep the glass in the doors if you still want to be able to open the front windows
- Fibreglass tailgate
- Would switching to manual window winders save anything?
- Carbon fibre door mirrors

You're into pretty marginal gains at this point in reality though, unless you go all in with fibreglass doors etc

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Thank you for your reply!
You're right.. bucket seats would be biggest improvement. I used to have a couple of Toora 6.2kg buckets. Were amazing but here (I live in italy) make the car not so much streetable..

I think mirrors and rear windows would be a good way to go.
Maybe even the tailgate you suggested.. which including glass would save a lot. I just have to check for a secure lock..
Anyway thank you for the suggestions!

Clio 172 + Clio200T
What do you weight yourself?

Can spend big on carbon fibre stuff to save a few grams, but if you're 20kg overweight you're ignoring the big gains to be had.
I am 186cm's for a little bit over 80kgs.
I agree on your vision.. but in my case I am not overweight..
Anyway I want to point out that I am doing this (and all the mechanical jobs) just because this is my passion.. so I like to track racing as much as working and developing my car as much as I can!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Post some pictures of the car if you can. Seeing it might help us to point some things out.

Are there any brackets inside the car that could be removed if you have removed other things? Is it a 172, or a 182? If it's a 172, you could fit the flat boot floor from a 182 (or just a flat piece of steel).

Seats, windows and tailgate are the biggest things. Anything else is going to be tiny gains now.

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Remove ABS, if fitted.
I've fitted a single pipe exhaust that exits out of the middle of the rear panel saved loads of weight over the original 182 exhaust.
There is loads of plastic behind the front panel you can remove.
Fit a smaller rad and lightweight fan, though as you are in Italy maybe not?

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Post some pictures of the car if you can. Seeing it might help us to point some things out.

Are there any brackets inside the car that could be removed if you have removed other things? Is it a 172, or a 182? If it's a 172, you could fit the flat boot floor from a 182 (or just a flat piece of steel).

Seats, windows and tailgate are the biggest things. Anything else is going to be tiny gains now.
Sorry for late reply..
I'll take some pics as soon as I put her together again.. now is on jackstands on pieces.

i already removed unused brackets and things like that.. so not that much left.
Just a thin caroet lining to keep it decent .
Its a 172.. so I have the wheel well. How much would be the daving for fitting flatboot??
I know... The "easy part" is ended.. and using it for track I even had to "add useful weight" like oil cooler, bigger radiator, AN braided lines for oil and fuel..

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Remove ABS, if fitted.
I've fitted a single pipe exhaust that exits out of the middle of the rear panel saved loads of weight over the original 182 exhaust.
There is loads of plastic behind the front panel you can remove.
Fit a smaller rad and lightweight fan, though as you are in Italy maybe not?
You know? I almost forgot about ABS pump.
That's something doable! I already have a wilwood proportional valve ready to be installed along new brake lines.
This may be something I'll do this winter.
I also thought to go for a direct braking without booster to have a more precise feeling.. this would also save weight as the booster is not that light..
I already removed unused plastic parts behind dash, starting from that rubber suoer heavy thing for sound deadening!
I already have replaced radiator with a golf 1.8 alloy unit for ITB clearance with 2 lightweight fans.
Polycarbonate windows - €
Fibreglass panels - €€
Titanium exhaust - €€€

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Polycarbonate windows - €
Fibreglass panels - €€
Titanium exhaust - €€€
As stated before.. I could at maximum fit rear windows.. because the car must keep meeting road regulations.
I've already fitted hood which gave me a huge weight saving, I'll think about the boot..but a bit unsure about it..
For exhaust I already have a very thing stainless exhaust I built by myself.. problem of exhaust is.. where to find titanium 63.5 silencers to weld to the titanium piping?
And most of all.. how much would be the gain? Would be worth?

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I fitted a fibreglass tailgate but had to keep glass for competition class I race in, but still a weight saving. Mine was not great quality so fit is not that good.

if you have the standard rear spoiler you would be suprised how much it weighs, so you could spend hours lightening it by cutting out the internals.

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
As stated before.. I could at maximum fit rear windows.. because the car must keep meeting road regulations.
I've already fitted hood which gave me a huge weight saving, I'll think about the boot..but a bit unsure about it..
For exhaust I already have a very thing stainless exhaust I built by myself.. problem of exhaust is.. where to find titanium 63.5 silencers to weld to the titanium piping?
And most of all.. how much would be the gain? Would be worth?
Have you thought of a motorbike silencer, there are quite a few titanium ones about. Only concern would be than May be too restrictive despite bikes reving to 10k they are smaller capacity.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Lightened fly wheel
Lightened engine pulleys
Pure motorsport alternator set up

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Sorrry guys if replying so late.. I've been really really busy with work and here we're having so hot weather days they drained every bit of energy..
I fitted a fibreglass tailgate but had to keep glass for competition class I race in, but still a weight saving. Mine was not great quality so fit is not that good.

if you have the standard rear spoiler you would be suprised how much it weighs, so you could spend hours lightening it by cutting out the internals.
You mean the cup spoiler? I have the dynamique spoiler! It does not feel so heavy... glad I didn't switched to cup version then!!
Speaking of the tailgate.. it was an option but I was not sure about the fitting and how it would look/feel. My fiberglass bonnet is good.. but you can clearly see that is not that precise as the oem was..
Have you thought of a motorbike silencer, there are quite a few titanium ones about. Only concern would be than May be too restrictive despite bikes reving to 10k they are smaller capacity.
Here we have a lot of restrictions on sound, so the more quiet the better.. anyway already have some SS silencers which are quite light. less than 4 kg.
Lightened fly wheel
Lightened engine pulleys
Pure motorsport alternator set up
I will do flywheel in the future, for the pulleys.. I already have removed everything.. I only have waterpump pulley (reduced mass with lathe). Alternator is mounted on a custom bracket like the old cup! all with a 4 rib belt
Lighter wheels and brake discs to reduce the unsprung mass will have a bigger improvement than other bits
Totally Agree.. I am looking for making myself a XMAS gift with some Evocorse X3MA 15x7 wheels. they are 6.5 kg each.
Good advice on brakes.. as soon as the ones I have on wear out I will replace them with those with alloy bell.
I wouldnt remove ABS. With good brakes you will loose more laptime in braking ability without abs than gaining laptime with less weight.
This is unexpected.. why I would loose laptime in braking without abs? let me understand.
For reference I have standard size 280mm rotors and wilwood calipers

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Is there a reason why you've chosen these wheels specifically when there are much lighter alternatives available?
Much lighter wheels? Which ones for example?

I've choosen this because they have the 7" channel I need and you can get them from factory with the ET you want, in my case ET28 or ET30.

I've seen many ncie wheels but with a huge ET43 needing some big spacers to have the correct track width.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Much lighter wheels? Which ones for example?

I've choosen this because they have the 7" channel I need and you can get them from factory with the ET you want, in my case ET28 or ET30.

I've seen many ncie wheels but with a huge ET43 needing some big spacers to have the correct track width.
Enkei RPF1 for example, they're about 5kg per wheel. Admittedly the ET isn't quite as aggressive as you want, at ET35, but it would only require 5mm spacers to bring them out to where you want. Same with OZ Ultraleggeras, theyre just over 5kg (5.2 I believe) and the offset isn't too far off, I think mine are ET37

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Enkei RPF1 for example, they're about 5kg per wheel. Admittedly the ET isn't quite as aggressive as you want, at ET35, but it would only require 5mm spacers to bring them out to where you want. Same with OZ Ultraleggeras, theyre just over 5kg (5.2 I believe) and the offset isn't too far off, I think mine are ET37
Enkei are quite interesting! But problem is will they fit over my setup? I have wilwood 4 pots. And I use 15" wheels. From what I read online they would not fit even on oem caliper

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
This is unexpected.. why I would loose laptime in braking without abs? let me understand.
For reference I have standard size 280mm rotors and wilwood calipers

If you have the finesse onthe pedal, you may not, but most will find its very easy to lock up, especially with uprated brakes. I did one test session with ABS disabled (hadnt realised a cable had been disconnected) - I locked up twice, flat spotted a tyre, wasted the session.
Of the guys I race with in the 750 clio series, I knew of only 1 who ditched the ABS and went for the allowed option of a bias valve, and when I talked about it with him, he wished he hadnt bothered.

clio 182
I thought I’d done the obvious stuff, so what and where are the steel blocks in the engine bay? They sound like they deserve to go from my track car

Clio 172 + Clio200T
If you have the finesse onthe pedal, you may not, but most will find its very easy to lock up, especially with uprated brakes. I did one test session with ABS disabled (hadnt realised a cable had been disconnected) - I locked up twice, flat spotted a tyre, wasted the session.
Of the guys I race with in the 750 clio series, I knew of only 1 who ditched the ABS and went for the allowed option of a bias valve, and when I talked about it with him, he wished he hadnt bothered.
Thank you for sharing your experience! Honestly I thoughtI twould have been even better without it... having the possibility to actually go more on the edge.. but I admit I've never tried racing a car without it, only motorbikes.
can save about 8-9kg with carbon roof.. just saying.
Thank you for the suggestion, I haven't thought about it and sounds quite interesting weight wise, and also cool to look at (my car is black).
I'll consider it in the future, I've never seen them sold ready, so I guess I need to make one myself..

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I am in the process of fitting an alloy fuel tank. KTR have them on offer at the moment, still not cheap but a weight saving and because my Clio only gets used for hillclimbing and sprinting I can carry less fuel.

Clio 172 + Clio200T
I thought about it, but even if mine is basically only a track toy..as a daily I have a clio RS IV, so I cannot bring the mk2 around with a trailer.. so she must drive to the track on her wheels.. so better to keep a big tank.

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Thank you for sharing your experience! Honestly I thoughtI twould have been even better without it... having the possibility to actually go more on the edge.. but I admit I've never tried racing a car without it, only motorbikes.

Thank you for the suggestion, I haven't thought about it and sounds quite interesting weight wise, and also cool to look at (my car is black).
I'll consider it in the future, I've never seen them sold ready, so I guess I need to make one myself..

I make them to order. Not cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 172 + Clio200T
I make them to order. Not cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Biggest problem is I don't live in UK, but in Italy. So beside cost of part.. it would be a scary high cost for shipping and a bloody scary high cost for customs.
Now I am making some molds for making carbon doorcards with shape of oem, if the molds turn out good I'll think making a mold for the roof too! Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't thought about it before!!

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Biggest problem is I don't live in UK, but in Italy. So beside cost of part.. it would be a scary high cost for shipping and a bloody scary high cost for customs.
Now I am making some molds for making carbon doorcards with shape of oem, if the molds turn out good I'll think making a mold for the roof too! Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't thought about it before!!
you dont need a mould even to make a roof. admotedly more difficult on a clio but doable

Clio 172 + Clio200T
you dont need a mould even to make a roof. admotedly more difficult on a clio but doable

Thank you for the suggestion! Even tho I think I may prefer to go with the mold route.. because I love details so I will be more pleased doing mold and a more precise roof! Anyway thank you!!

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Has anyone mentioned having a Jobbie yet? as you seem to have covered everything else lol
Hey.. its obviosly has been considered. Every morning 8:00am. Lol

Beside this biological way.. I am thinking of making myself a full carbon fiber tailgate.
I was not sure about a fiberglass one because of too twitchy.. but made of carbon should be really strong and stiff and I would be able to save a lot of weight.