ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MPG and tyre wear on 172/182's

Mr2 Roadster
I get a consistant 18-24 and get about 5-6000 miles per set of tires, this is mainly town driving.

I can't understand how people get over 30 MPG, I only got that once when I reset the clock on the motorway and drove it like a girl.

Mondeo STTDCI
Re: MPG and tire wear on 172/182's

I also have no idea how people get high 30's. I have low 30's and high 20's always.

Dave said:
I also have no idea how people get high 30's. I have low 30's and high 20's always.

tbh ranging 26-32mpg .......tyres have lated 2 years 13k miles. contis
new 4 tyres 2morrow ......excited for new grip etc etc.

swapped tyres around couple of months ago front to back.
now totally bare ......slippin all the time:cool:

sorry to dissapoint fellas i average 40-42 and can top it at 50 mpg in my Ph1, even battin it along it never goes less than 33!
Mr Rentech can vouch..........

mind you i do a 43 mile round trip to work and only have three junctions to contend with the rest is dual c/way in a str8 line! so not hard really.......

307 diesel & 1.2 TCE Clio

not sure on tires, only done 5K in the 182, seem ok tho. As for fuel, i get about 26 to 30 MPG usually 34 on the motorway.

307 diesel & 1.2 TCE Clio

probably filling up or getting some new rubber fitted

172 Dave said:
sorry to dissapoint fellas i average 40-42 and can top it at 50 mpg in my Ph1, even battin it along it never goes less than 33!
Mr Rentech can vouch..........

wtf?:race: i hav a really heavy right foot though ... cant help putting me foot down . whats ur secret dude:hail:

m8 to be fair like i said i have v v str8 run to work and never in rush hr traffic as shifts potter in and home 65 70 and a bit of round town stuff anything on m/way im guaranteed over 40 and can streeeeeeetch to 50 but that really is feathered throttle..

Yozza and Loony arn't easy I'd love to see what they get mpg wise tyres last about 12k when I drive my car so a car with 100hp or so more you must be looking at 7k

Vee dub

I'm shocked at the duration from your tyres chaps!

I got nearly 20k from my tyres on my 16v - I'm a girl lol

Tom

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6

mk1 172 27-31mpg town driving which i think is good and for the performance you get. had a bmw 318ise 2.0i and i was only getting 21-24mpg and couldnt match the 172 for performance either.

307 hdi (powered by derv)

think mine was just doing 15 at times,lol. Just drove home from gf's in falmouth to home. 246 mile in just under 4 hours.

BMW Z4 3.0i

I do a fair bit of motorway driving.
42 mpg @ 70-75 mph
38mpg @ 80 mph
33mpg @ 85-90 mph

Plus I'm just over half way through a set or Pirelli P-Zero Nero's (195/45/16) and I've done 18k in them. I try my best not to wheelspin as it gets you nowhere and kills your tyres.

Megane Mk4

I get average MPG of 34/35 out of mine, I've got 15.7K on the clock and I'm on my second set of PE1's on the front of the car.

Bald tyres and wheel spins go hand-in-hand :D

Andi

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Mines done 5k now and the tyres look great.My mpg is always between 32-35mpg,mix of town and d/c driving

ian

Clio 172 mk2
I got 35.3 on the mororway which isn't far off the official figures for mpg so I'm happy with that.

Rarely goes below 28-29mpg with town driving

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I have done just over 10k miles and my front tyres are worn a bit and my back ones are near perfect. Thats doing 1 track day and about 10 runs down the strip at Santa Pod. I am going to swap the wheels around at the weekend if I have time which should therefore mean they will last till later this year.
As for economy, I can get 40+ mpg on the motorway if driving steady and seem to average about 30ish when town driving. Its all to do with how hard you rev it, for example the car will probably use twice as much fuel at 6k rpm than it does at 3k rpm :)

Scirocco GT 210
A mixture of town and very aggressive A-road driving I get low 30's. If I drive carefully high 40's are easily achieved. Even managed 52mpg average once on a 70 mile journey across Wales - driving like my gran.

Tyres have lasted 13k miles so far and are still fine.

tiTTy & SV650
I get under 25mpg in town, I can easily get 37mpg when on long motorway / a road drives and thats not even taking it easy.

Tyre wear, my original fronts lasted about 14k miles and the rears then went onto the front and were replaced at 23k miles.

I don't drove slow but I dont go raping 1st gear wheelspinning off the line.

Weeman sucks ****
With my journey which is M25, M40 I'm getting 37-40 mpg out of the cup. My contis have now been on since early summer last year aswell, not sure how many miles that is? Probably about 12,000.

But saying that, my old commute was through twisties (which I miss like mad) and I got through tyres after about 6000-7000 miles and saw about 28-30 mpg. Oh and did 2 sets of discs and 3 sets of pads on the front;)

Clio 172 mk2
Steve2004 said:
A mixture of town and very aggressive A-road driving I get low 30's. If I drive carefully high 40's are easily achieved. Even managed 52mpg average once on a 70 mile journey across Wales - driving like my gran.

Tyres have lasted 13k miles so far and are still fine.

52mpg.....are you sure it's the 2L petrol under the bonnet?

60/70mph trip to GDI yesterday. 38mpg.
some points id be at 40 behind lorries then a blast to 100 overtaking.

used to see about 40 odd at that sorta speed when i first got it... dunno why its gone down. maybe the colder air?

M140i/Orange 182
nearly on 10k and still got loads of tread left in my tyres(from new) and i average around 26mpg! :(

RenaultSport clio 182 Cup
on optimax i can get 41mpg on cruise control on the motorway.
round town on shity fuel is 28mpg constanly 32 on optimax

10k off pe2 fronts but the rear are still pretty bang on

55reg 182cup

E91 M Sport
Average about 30mpg with mainly short journeys and some infrequent motorway stuff thrown in.

Tyres lasted about 14k before they needed changing.

No trackdays on those.

Munday said:
I have done just over 10k miles and my front tyres are worn a bit and my back ones are near perfect. Thats doing 1 track day and about 10 runs down the strip at Santa Pod. I am going to swap the wheels around at the weekend if I have time which should therefore mean they will last till later this year.
As for economy, I can get 40+ mpg on the motorway if driving steady and seem to average about 30ish when town driving. Its all to do with how hard you rev it, for example the car will probably use twice as much fuel at 6k rpm than it does at 3k rpm :)
Keep the bst tyres on the back at all costs the Clio needs as much back end grip as possible.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
im getting about 38-41, but ive only had my cup since saturday and im driving it like a little old lady so that might be why, lol.

182 Cup, (2nd one)
I tend to get about 25 -29mpg tends to be on A and B roads rather than motorways. Got through the first lot of front tyres at 6000 miles.

tiTTy & SV650
I agree with Edde dont rotate the tyres till u get 2 new ones and put the new to the back. That way you get the most grip where you need it and you only need to replace 2 tyres at a time!!!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
hi,im a mobile hairdresser who drives a phase 2 clio 172.i am mainly driving round back lanes etc,not much motorway driving.i pretty much ragg it everywhere.and i think i get about 28 mpg.this is on an average full tank of fuel.optimax when i can.

i reckon i have to change my tryes every 5,000 miles too.

could anyone possibly tell me which are the best wet weather tyres on the market..

many thanks,

paul..