ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mrk 1 clio 1.4 conversion to williams

Renault clio 1.4
ive got a 1.4 clio, but im just gettin bored of the same speed and want more power. also i want those lil f**kers hu pull up next to u in there 1.4 corsa and give it all with there big exhaust and induction to just get smoked so bad and make em look an idiot. because i can easily get hold of a williams its just im not sure how much mdification will be needed to fit that engine straight into my engine bay. please help

Last edited:
you'll need a valver/williams bonnet, oither than that i think it just drops straight in, oh and you might need a coil pack.

Renault clio 1.4
i will also need to upgrade the brakes, convert the rear brakes to discs. ive already got a 16v bonnet so that should be ok. cheers fella

well yes brakes and suspension is a must. No need to change rear drums to discs, j3ned still runs rear drums on his Clio TT. Uprated front brakes is a must though. Basically to go from standard trim to williams you'll need:-

Williams engine
Engine loom
Williams ECU
The transponder and key from the same williams ( so the immobilizer works)
Possibly a coilpack if yours hasnt got one as standard
Uprated suspension
Uprated front brakes
Williams/16v Bonnet
Possibly a williams/16v dash - not sure on this one.
Williams/valver wings

Saner said:
You'll also need valver front wings and suspension/track

You don't *need* them..

You will need better brakes tho.. heh..

Not sure how a Williams will handle on standard suspension.. either..

Dash might be useful, but not required - depends if you want the Oil Level/Temp/Pressure guages!

Alarm on a Williams is a completly seperate unit, so Renault plip doesn't matter.. there is no immobiliser on the Williams ECUs.

well i was almost right, lol, IO was basing this on my knowledge of valver conversions. oh and daz i'm very jealous of you.

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo
No need for bonet. Just cut a section out of the internal structure with a dremmel wizzard.
No need for wings If just running the 16v track as isnt much wider. If you plan to fit the williams track then you deffo need em.

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo
The most £ economical setup for suspension would be to use the RSI setup as these can be had cheap and will handle the weight of the F block

well not only do you have a williams, a car i have loved since launch, but you have a V6 MX-3, a car i test drove when i was looking for my new car (i bought the clio), loved, but couldnt afford to insure :(

theduckeatspork said:
well not only do you have a williams, a car i have loved since launch, but you have a V6 MX-3, a car i test drove when i was looking for my new car (i bought the clio), loved, but couldnt afford to insure :(

Ah. :)

TheJesus said:
you can use the standard bonnet, it will clear, plenty of room

Yep.. altho, the vent probably helps loads with airflow etc..
They cook under that bonnet!

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo
Daz said:
Yep.. altho, the vent probably helps loads with airflow etc..
They cook under that bonnet!

Yeah, totally agree with you there mate. The valver manifolds seem to hold more heat but my williams one still gets fairly hot.

Jesus mate. I can confirm that the phase 3 bonnet does need cutting slightly as it rubbed a lot and was difficult to close. That was with new engine mounts all round though.

garf14 said:
well ive already got a 16v bonnet, and upgrades suspenson, so thanks for the info guys!!

Brakes also?

Could just put some 16v/Williams Brakes on the front.. much better than the standard ones.

Renault clio 1.4
Daz said:
Brakes also?

Could just put some 16v/Williams Brakes on the front.. much better than the standard ones.

yea thats what i was gunna do..bigger discs o looks better.

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo
To fit the williams or 16v disks you need the suspension set-up as it is the offset of the calliper mounting holes that spaces the callipers out enough to fit the bigger disks. Unless you fabricate some spacers but they'll probably snap. lol

Nah m8, its the caliper carriers themselves that you get with the breaks that sort the spacing...nowt to do with the hub carrier. I have 16v hub carriers on mine with the 1.2 breaks still on. All mk1 clio hub carriers are the same basic shape (inc the caliper mounting holes) aside from the strut spacing issue.

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo
Well I didnt know that. lol And after all the trouble I went to sourcing the suspension components from a williams to fit mine mainly for the brakes. Should have just tried the frames first.

Looking for a ph-quick...
mate, im in the same boat as you mate! ur best bet is 2 buy the whole engine on the subframe with all the bits (hubs, brakes, steering rack, wireing loom etc) on the subframe.
i have just bought a valver lump 2 put in my 1.4rt and its got the lot atruts, brakes etc.
u mite have a few wireing issues but the principles are basically the same. the engine will drop straight in mounting points are the same. u will need the fual pump out of the valver to cope with the demand.
im doin the same thing in a couple of weeks so will let u knoiw how its goes!!
n e questions jus ask
cheers