ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MSNCars UK- 197 RoadTest

Verdict: "The fact that the noise is the only real minus point about the Clio Sport 197 is a compliment to the sheer all-round success of the package. Exciting, fun, immensely rewarding on the right road and comfortable too, this is the new standard setter amongst hot hatchbacks."

http://cars.msn.co.uk/carreviewshome/fdsportcliojun06/Default.asp

Renault_Clio_Sport_43.jpg

172 Cup
Still think they should bring back oil pressure and oil quantity gauges, that dash looks like a washing machine control.

"At the front things are more aggressive, with much broader wings and a considerably wider stance to the front wheels."

So true, looks wide as hell when you stand right in front of one, almost reminds me of the V6 head-on.

Nissan 350Z
Nearly 4k revs at 70 in SIXTH!

I want that gearbox!

Actually the 197 looks really rather good... the main things against it really are price, supposedly dodgy steering, and weight. Apart from that, it looks like another good'un... although the people carrier like seating doesnt appeal, still.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
How hard is it for people to asborb? it only costs 500 more than the 182 did. remember the 172 started life (rs1) with only air con half leather and 4 airbags and was 16 grand. Those who think there going to get the 197 for the same dealer price as a fiesta st are dreaming. Theres alot of car there!

Clio 197
""The Clio 3 is no lightweight and the Sport, at 1240kg complete with its full complement of airbags and climate control, is undoubtedly a bi porky. That’s the reason behind the low gearing, but no real excuse for the extraordinary din from the exhaust. At low roads speeds, at around 5,000rpm, the resonance inside is decidedly unpleasant. ""

So, if someone wants to drive to the nurburgring, and cruise at 80mph, they could find themselves deaf by the time they get there? :S

GW RS200
"a downside of so little torque at low revs is that this Clio can have trouble accelerating up a steep hill in second gear."

This must be some sort of bad dream... in 2nd, my 172 feels like it's attached to a bungee cord, even up pretty steep roads...

S.

Totally not convinced about the look of the 197 - just don't like the overall picture at all! Maybe change my opinion when seen in reality