ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MX5 Project

TrackCar & F30 330d
The wheels look gash on their own but looks kinda cool on the ae86.

I think the MX5's look great as long as they are as slammed as you can get.

Look forward to seeing it on the coilovers

VX220
Well im not crawling around on the floor while the snow is around so the coilovers are still in the box.
Managed to split the front lights to detango them and fit some LED side lights.

DSC01649.jpg

DSC01650.jpg

DSC01653.jpg

VX220
Well the snow had cleared from the ground and had nothing else to do this afternoon. Managed to fit the front coilovers. Didnt really have time to adjust the height but you can kind of see there is some initial drop. I'll be fitting the rears tomorrow and hopefully picking the wheels up this week. Did manage to spot that is has some goodridge braided hoses which was a bonus.

DSC01719.jpg

DSC01720.jpg

DSC01722.jpg

Black 172 PH2
Awesome mate.
Quite fond of MX-5's, been looking at them on AutoTrader.
Cheap RWD fun, Awesome cars for the money.

VX220
So some bad news. Sent the guy a message on driftworks yesterday asking if i could pick the wheels up this week only to be told:

'hi mate it took me 4 hours to strip 1 wheel, 3 mop heads and half a bottle of g3 compound there alley but have chrome plating over all the wheels which is just f**king retarded. i might have to give you your deposit back buddy as its gonna cost me so much money to do each wheel, the mop heads are £15 a pop and ive destroyed 3 on one wheel. i understand why the polisher couldnt do them now.'

so this is the second story now as to why i cant go and get them. trying to find another set in 15" will probably be impossible so will likely have to go for something else.

Flol at trying to polish off chrome coating! The only way to do it properly is have them de-chromed, which is the reverse process of chroming.

VX220
Well i still dont have a job so wheels are on hold!
just popped down to b'mouth today to pick this up. Decat and mid pipe and a mazdaspeed back box. Also going to be ordering some new discs and pads this week. ill get the exhaust fitted tomorrow as well as hopefully my i4detailing package!

snv38061.jpg

snv38068.jpg

Needs a good clean up but should be alright for a short term solution.

VX220
Yeah seemed like too good to miss really! And managed to knock him down because i went and picked it up.
BC's are cracking, really pleased with them. Done about 200 miles on them now so going to go over them tomorrow and check everything is tight and lower them down.

VX220
Well this is one day i'll never get back again!
got the optiglanz out this morning and painted the pipe and exhaust tip, came up pretty well.
DSC08133.jpg

DSC08135.jpg

was a nightmare getting the stock exhaust off, resulting in this
DSC08138.jpg

although i can just a stick a new bolt through.

Biggest problem is this!
DSC08136.jpg

i knew the cat sizes were different but looks like the down pipe must be shorter too, or im doing something wrong!

VX220
Yeah i understand that, but as this is from the headers to the back box i assumed this wouldn't create a problem. I thought the header lengths would be the same.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
also the ssr's as far ask i know they arent plated in any way shape or form! infact there is a set that has just been polished gone on dw.... i bet the guy either cant be fucked to polish them or realises he can get more for them...

VX220
yeah i saw those on DW. Problem is i dont have any work until the end of the month. They will need adapters at well which is another £130. Plus i want 8's all round.

There's a set on SXOC. 15 x 7 and 15 x 7.5 all ET17, 4 x 114.3, fresh tyres, bolts and freshly polished. He's after £600.

I know they're not 8s, but it's a set that's kicking around.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Can you not just fit a bit of flexi pipe or take it to an exhaust place and lop the lug off the end and have a section welded in?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I'm sure all cat back exhausts are the same length.

The 1.8 cats are longer and the manifold and down pipe are shorter

Vice versa for the 1.6.

1996/97 have the long cat and manifold.
I could be talking out of my arse though!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
yeah it does have the longer cat. i assumed the headers would be the same length but clearly not

Well all the cat back exhausts for the early MK1's seem to be the same length on mx5parts.co.uk. So the manifold must be shorter!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I know its Manifold back, but it looks like its from a 1.6.

With you having a 97 1.8 you're going to have a right job finding something to fit.

I'd get a custom straight through centre section made to mate up to a back box of your choice.

A lot of rims sold on DW generally are cheap and nasty skid rims & *cough* Rotas *cough*, although decent rims come up fairly regularly. It's such a fast paced for sales section though, within 24 hours adverts can drop 4/5/6 pages no worries.

VX220
So i have managed to pick up some wheels..finally. Slow progress as i had to fork out insurance/mot for the buell.
Also got in on the group buy for an uprated supercharger coupler and some fresh oil to give it a service.

So have 15x7's with a healthy offset of 13

DSC09066.jpg

DSC09067.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC09068.jpg

DSC09069.jpg
[/IMG]

Need to have a play around with the coilovers etc and they also need spraying.

any ideas of colours?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I saw those on wheel whores! Nice and cheep, apparently have no brand. Will look good with some stance... y0.