ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 1.2 Expression.. Planning for lows and dishes.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just bought this today after my old clio R reg headgasket went and a cylinder seized.

Got it for a grand, on 58,000 miles.. Cheap due to it having a crash last year and being written off due to broken headlight and cracked panel but all sorted etc.

Im planning to give it a general tidy up first of all.. then put it on coilovers and dished alloys.. im new to modding etc so can someone give me ideas on nice, reasonable priced alloys.

Thanks for looking.

Here is the ad for now cos its too dark for pics..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...omobiles_UK&hash=item4ab4272e6b#ht_500wt_1156

clio 1.2 16v dynamiq
oem alloys mate turinis or maybe some 1*2 standards come up prety cheap if you get a mmbership on here the for sale section is realy good. are those rear windows tinted? if so id remove them dont half make the car look cleaner, drop it on some springs or coileys to get rid of the arch gap. a rs grill and a nice zoorst at the rear.

or if you want a rep get sport bumpers and front wings aswell

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just gone to insure it and apparently its the expression+ so its 2 groups higher than i expected grr - They are wanting £270 a month with the co-op smartbox!

Listerine & Poledo
Cooo, bad luck there.

Guess that puts the brakes on any modz now. Leave it as is until the insurance is less rapey.

As for the smartbox, coooo, you'd better drive like a good boy now else that premium will only ever go up.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
My current policy is with the smartbox, but they want £135 admin fees + the fee for them to come fit the box.. and its gone up for £170 to 270pm.. I was expecting this clio to be cheaper than my old one grr!

Listerine & Poledo
Clios are getting almost as bad as S2000's and FTO's.

Mind, as many S2ks wind up in ditches as Clios, just the S2ks are more usually standard, wheras the Clio's are all bastardised to one degree or another.

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
My current policy is with the smartbox, but they want £135 admin fees + the fee for them to come fit the box.. and its gone up for £170 to 270pm.. I was expecting this clio to be cheaper than my old one grr!

If you haven't paid for that insurance yet try checking on confused.com fully comp with say a £500 excess.. I know it sounds crazy but I found it to be a lot cheaper..(After I bought my £320pm policy! Damn!) I might be wrong but worth a look I guess..

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Yeah i am trying to get a quote on confused then go direct but it wont load any prices, I just want to be back on the road!

Listerine & Poledo
Ah, I didn't know that.

The insurance on these cars is ridiculous for the young driver. If I was in the same situation I'd probably just bite the bullet and get an entry-level Corchav until the NCB's permit something actually worth having (and I dont mean a Clio)

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Ah, I didn't know that.

The insurance on these cars is ridiculous for the young driver. If I was in the same situation I'd probably just bite the bullet and get an entry-level Corchav until the NCB's permit something actually worth having (and I dont mean a Clio)

Corsas clios etc etc are all of similar price..

Is your insurance your first year on your own policy smartbox guy?

Listerine & Poledo
ha! that would have been 12 years ago fella, such technology would be the stuff of Star trek.

I would't want one though, the discount they purport to give is outweighed by the potential penalties they'll slap on your renewal if you venture remotely over the speed limit, or drive at night etc.

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Smartbox guy, i believe it says my name is josh... and yes im 17 been driving 6 months, they also gave me 120 pound back for good driving. And Goodj i drive above the speed limit daily.. the system isnt as harsh as some people think.

Listerine & Poledo
wow, that's pretty good then.

It was being sent up as the biggest kill-joy of a big brother technology that has ever been invented.

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
At first i thought it would be so bad to be on but its turned out to be the best, dose what it says on the tin rele, encourages you to drive safe. but not to the extremes most people think. also a free theft tracker and earning your own no claims. bad thing is no mods but tbh.. can't have everything can you.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Its not harsh at all, I keep up with traffic so say 35 in 30's etc and no penalty as its done on averages so if the majority of the time you do 40 in a 40 it cancels out the slight speeding in the 30's. Its also got a 10% thing so 44 in 40's etc etc.

Listerine & Poledo
that attitude will get you far Davvy.

As for no modzzzzz, well, that just saves you money and embarasment so look at it as a positive

Listerine & Poledo
that you can "get away" with doing 35 in a 30 as it all balances out in the end.

from an insurance/smartbox perspective, maybe, but it only takes a roadside van to realy put the brakes on your driving

:(

Astra (H) VXR
Is there no way to frig the smartbox? Ie take it out leave it at home lol at never left the drive in 5 years... Free insurance!! Lol

clio 1.2 16v dynamiq
pmsl at this thread with the direction its went with the smart box thing do they cameras like in the states?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Yeah this was supposed to be a project.. but like above said i cant mod it grr! Ill re-new my policy in september so hopefully if insurance is a fair bit cheaper the modding can commence :)

Listerine & Poledo
Yeah this was supposed to be a project.. but like above said i cant mod it grr! Ill re-new my policy in september so hopefully if insurance is a fair bit cheaper the modding can commence :)

save money on insurance to waste on modding?

Just dont bother fella, seriously.

Save the money then when something breaks (which it will), you'll have all that unwasted cash to fix the thing.

Sik Lowz is all fair and good, but if you can't afford to get your blowing exhaust and bald tyres through the MOT, it's not very impressive at all.

One day you'll be insurable on a vehicle that comes with trick bits as standard, which will always be better than a garage-build special.

This is the voice of experience talking.