ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 cup - Lowered, stripped, rear strut brace

Engles Mummy
Hi all,

After the first failed attempt to swap my springs with Lawrence’s, due to not having the right f*cking tool, he came over the week after that (last Saturday) with the right tool and the plan was - take of his apex -40mm springs, put his standards on, take my standards off and put the apex in.

Like all small projects they come with some problems, one of the problems was getting Lawrence’s wheels off, the damn locking nut wasn't biting but with brute force we managed to get the damn wheels off.

Anyway, the project lasted about 6 hours with a couple of hours break. And I am really please with the result, couldn't believe what a difference it has made to the handling of the car...I am now saving up for some coilovers!

Also done a quick strip with the rear seats and strut brace nicely fitted in.

Here are some pictures, not very good quality...enjoy.

Side view -

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c189/subway172cup/sideview.jpg

Close up -

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c189/subway172cup/closeup.jpg

Interior -

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c189/subway172cup/interior.jpg

Engine bay -

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c189/subway172cup/Image00j.jpg

And a special thanks to Lawrence for getting all the parts and helping with the fitting.

Cheers, Adam

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Is that a 40mm drop Subway? Any before pics as I was hoping they may be lower than that, they haven't settled though I suppose.
How do you find the ride now, any Ace Ventura moments where you're all over the place?
And the handling is much improved?
Looks good though.

Engles Mummy
Yea its a 40mm drop m8 and no it hasn't settled in yet. It has actually made big difference, my car is a lot stiffer then before and has barely no body role. Fast & Slow cornering is superb, the car really grips on well and doesn't seem to give in to easily.

lol ace ventura moments, my long drive way looks like it has been hit by bombs, huge pot holes! Going through that at high speeds is almost guareenteed death lol. When driving a long normall you can feel more bumps in the road but nothing major, speed bumps are very interesting...have to go very slow over them.

Apart from that i can not fault these springs, very good and for little money it can really change your whole car.

Here are some after pictures -

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c189/subway172cup/clio172cup5.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c189/subway172cup/Clio172cup1.jpg

lol i have no idea what the rear light is, never even new it was there! I will investigate tonight!

Engles Mummy
Yeap buckets are coming soon...with the help of my dear boy fred. I will leave the rear seats out for the time being, i don't like all my friends piling in to the back and f**king around lol.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
no worries dude, mine is like a 4x4 now and feels so soft compared to what it was before, coilovers and seats next project yeah?

mk1 phase 3
might scrape aswell with some passengers in! keep the seats out,and take everythin else in the back out? then like some1 said, seats, and maybe harnesses;)

nice car tho mate, very clean and tidy. no what you mean about pot holes and speed bumps!

Golf GTI 1.8T
Wouldn't scrape, not now its got stiffer springs on. I hate taking passenger and theres not much room behind my seat and I'm only 5' 5" so doubt you can hardly get anyone in yours anyway. What seats are you gettin? How comes you've gone back to standard lawrence?

Renaultsport Clio 182
Looks nice mate, very nice. As already said, get yourself some buckets and you will be sorted.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
mitchzxr said:
Wouldn't scrape, not now its got stiffer springs on. I hate taking passenger and theres not much room behind my seat and I'm only 5' 5" so doubt you can hardly get anyone in yours anyway. What seats are you gettin? How comes you've gone back to standard lawrence?

going back to standard because im selling the car, just got as few things to get rid of on it then im putting my baby up for sale,

Golf GTI 1.8T
lawrence said:
going back to standard because im selling the car, just got as few things to get rid of on it then im putting my baby up for sale,

what you got to get rid of, anything I might be interested in?

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
at the mo just my white pro race wheels(might keep now) and exhaust which run 115 is having, then renault have out my steering wheel under warranty and then treat the car to a good valet before its ready to go up for sale

induction kit looks great.

but the drop doesnt look 40mm at all, in fact there hardly looks like there has been one.

as for scrapige.... haha! dont the lowest of cars still roll 5 up without.

Engles Mummy
Yea coils & seats next big project! Lets see if we can get the right tools first time round lol.

Yea i plan to take everything out and carpet it all, or just leave the nice blue chassis showing?

The seats i would like are these -

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c189/subway172cup/SEATS.jpg

Btw this guy was selling these seats but i lost his name, if that guy is still on here please pm me asap :)

Lawrence is going to sell his car and get a williams or valver, i have taken mostly everything from his car lol.

Weeman sucks ****
^^^agreed, I had them on my cup a while back (those actual ones on clarts car funnily enough) and they definately lower more than that!

Sure you didn't leave a block of wood between each spring when you fitted them??

There is no weight in the back. It's not going to be as low.

Unless you guys are comparing it to another stripped car?

Engles Mummy
Ummm interesting point, no I just checked the car and there is no blocks of would in the springs...phew!

Any other possible answers to why it isn't lower?

E91 M Sport
Don't want to make you feel worse, but mine is much lower on the same springs too.

I agree with the improvements they make. I was concerned that they'd feel too crashy, but they're spot-on for tightening up the bodyroll and handling without trading too much comfort.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I must admit Subway I did expect a larger drop which is why I raised the point earlier. It may be wise to leave them for a week to see if they settle. I have always thought Cups looked high as a kite anyway though.
Having said that, a friend of mine had a Civic with uprated springs and dampers and the garage had fitted all of his springs upside down meaning the car was really high and handled terribly. You haven't done that have you?;)

Engles Mummy
I have told my insurance company and they said anything under -40mm drop doesn't affect the insurance. The springs were original yellow coloured but I sprayed them black to make them look like the originals...just in case the insurance did go up.

The car looks lower today, I will get updated pictures in a week’s time and see if it’s at the height it should be.