ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172's not underpowered anymore! :)

Black 172
I've always felt my 172 wasn't all that fast and I suspected the timing was set incorrectly. I also knew the O2 sensor needed changing but I stupidly never thought that could be causing the problem. I finally got round to doing it today, only I undid the cable connector but couldn't unscrew the old sensor, so I wanted to take the car for a quick run to get the exhaust very hot thinking that might help. I started her up without the O2 sensor connected (so the car had no pre-cat O2) and half expected it to run a bit rough, but it didn't, so I took it out for the warm up. I was on edge thinking the engine might start spluttering without the O2 sensor connected but to my genuine surprise the damn thing seemed to drive BETTER! It was more responsive and lively. I decided to drive further and got to an open road where I could put my foot down and the difference was obvious, much quicker, more like what I was expecting my car to perform like when I bought it but it never did! I ended up taking it round country roads for an hour having loads of fun and grinning like an idiot :D

I got back... cold garage floor at 11pm, ugh... but got the old sensor out and put the new Bosch in. Another test drive later and yep, still performing great!

Happy chap! No doubt it'll improve the fuel economy that's been on the low side as well!

Passat
Never even heard of an O2 sensor before. What is it and how does it relate to timing?

Glad the cars running better mate

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
Lambda sensor is technically an oxygen (O2) sensor as it measure the oxygen content coming out the engine/cat, whilst relaying the info back the the PCM to adjust fuel to air ratio's to get as close to 'lambda 1' (perfect lambda) as possible.

Although I think Filippo was being sarcastic? Lol

Black 172
I've been getting low to mid 30's even on an airport run at a steady cruise. Not drastically bad fuel economy but a sign (along with the engine management light, fault code and lack of power) that something wasn't quite right. I gave it a bottle of emissions reducer and an hour long blast before the MoT and it still only managed to scrape through the emissions with a lambda reading on the maximum so the signs of the problem were there.

I took a few pictures when changing the O2 / Lambda sensor so will post them up in the guides section and if its approved it'll appear there.

Still happy! Feels like a different car.

I paid £65.50 delivered from Northwest Performance (found on eBay), it was a genuine Bosch like for like replacement.

Thanks for the info. Been meaning to swap my 02 sensors round, 182 has two but only one is used I believe.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Pre cat is the only one thats used and the one that causes problems,im going to replace mine also