ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172's stuck outside my local spar

Audi TT 225
Ive had a tit full of this car now. I drove to the petrol station, juiced up, tried to start the car and it cut out first time, time and radio reset. Then it started after a few turn overs and I drove home and decided to stop at the shop.
Got back into the car and it wont start.
The dash lights come on, it makes a clicking sound from the back of the engine, the dash lights dim down when turning the key. I tried jump leads, cleaned terminals and it seems to have power it just wont turn over. It sounds like its dying to turn over but wont? Got a electrical popping noise when the dash lights flickered.
Then I tried to lock the car and it wouldn't lock it just made a funny noise, then after a few tries it locked.
Its almost like its shorting out as soon as you turn the key. The electrics seem dodgy, dash lights going nuts.

I hope the local chavs steal it and burn it out over night Im getting so tired of fixing this damn car :mad:

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Mine did a similar thing this time last year. I changed the battery and all was good. I sh!t it though as I've never had symptoms like it caused by a dead battery.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
battery i expect cold weather has killed it i had to replace mine this week. fancy a swap and you pay my insurance.

Audi TT 225
Had another look at it this morning. The central locking is intermittant some times it just clicks instead of locking.
When I try to start it, its like everything shorts out and all the dash lights dim.
When trying to start it the imobiliser light goes off but the alarm light by the hazard switch comes on. It sounds like the starters trying to turn it over but doesn't have power. The battery light is green, the car has power for lights, radio etc. Also when I start it everything resets, time, trip, radio code.

I put it in first and rocked the car back and forth quite a bit to see if the starter was suck but still nothing.

Audi TT 225
Im giving serious thought to getting rid of this thing... Ive just had enough now, Ive just spent £400 on new tarox discs and pads all round because they were naffed, £320 for a prospeed because my standard back box fell off, bought apex springs because a rear spring was cracked....
If I replace anything else it will be a new car!

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
when you start everything the battery got left goes to the starter motor this is proberly why everything this reseting. ive seen failed batterys with green windows mate there rubbish

Audi TT 225
Im just thinking if I buy a battery and its not that Im gonna be even more anoyed...
If it was the battery surely it would have fired up when I tried to jump it off another car?

Ad

MK2 FRS
sounds like a classic flat battery mate with all the symptoms. If its still on its original battery then its due for change.

I find cars go through phases on needing things replacing, MK1s are hitting the 5yr+ mark and 'consumables' start to need replacing.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Im just thinking if I buy a battery and its not that Im gonna be even more anoyed...
If it was the battery surely it would have fired up when I tried to jump it off another car?

I agree. If it was the battery it should have indeed started if you jumped it off another motor. I gather you did give it a large boost before trying to start it off the other car? The only other way of testing if it is the battery is to take it off and put the known good one from the other car on. If she still doesn't start, it isn't the battery.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
they say a battery lasts 5 years mate, sometimes it wont start off a jump start it all depends how you had it all connected up. or take it off take it to your local car shop and see if they can test it for free.

1998 BMW e46 323i
earth strap? All connections need checking, cleaning, wet and drying if need be. Get your battery to halfrauds or the like; they'll test it for free. Don't buy a batt' unless you need one.

I got a cheapo one from GSF recently. Good luck mate.

Next time we'll all buy Hondas!

Audi TT 225
Argh... what to do...
It could be the original battery by the looks of it and it has been cold lately so it could well be duff.
But if the battery was that flat how did it start the first two times then after a 30/40 min drive it just dies?
I dont know if I should go buy a new one and try that or just get the garage to go and fetch it tomorrow and take a look...

I connected + to + and - to - and revved the crap out of the other car and tried to start mine while it was revving, didn't seem to make much difference and couldn't hear much because the other car was noisy.

Audi TT 225
it didn't come with a towing eye so I cant tow it anywhere, dont have the manpower to push it to try and bump start it...

Bye Bye 182....
negative should go to ground on the other car mate (Metal part of the chassis or something like it). Not the other negative on its battery.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
on your car idealy it shoud have been connected to an earth other then your battery. did you have lights, radio heater on etc when you drove it. if it got a defective cell you can drive it for 3 hours and i wont make much difference as it gone down to a 10 volt battery.

Audi TT 225
arse.... does it matter the - is connected to the chassis anyway?

Yeah had lights on, heater and radio

Audi TT 225
anyone know how much a new battery is from halfrauds or somewhere?
Do they need charging or are they ready to go?

FIAT PANDA 100HP!!!!
to be fair i know what you mean, but a battery wont cost the earth and it does sound like its that mate! cold weather is a f*cker for batteys! lol

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
I think they are already charged and ready to go. I really would put the other cars battery on first to check that is what it is first though. You will be cursing like a fucker if you buy a other battery and that isn't the problem. Get the battery off and put the other cars one on. Check earth strap is tight and making proper contact too.

FIAT PANDA 100HP!!!!
depends on the terminals, older ones had bolts thru, also the power wont be enough i dont think.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Ah, maybe not. I would have thought you would need more battery power to start a 172 to be honest. Have you not got a mate with a bigger engine that could come and try for you?

Audi TT 225
Thats what I thought, the 172 would probably suck it dry.
Dont know anyone with big ltr's, all friends and family have small run arounds, 1.1 or 1.2's

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Yep, I don't think you'll have a hope in trying to jump it off a 1.2. Have you not got a friendly neighbour with a bigger engine that would help out?

RS Clio 172 Ph1
Does sound like the battery, 50-60 quid for a new one. Mine had the same symptons a couple of month's ago. After a 60 mile drive and stopping for a coffee couldn't start the thing, called AA who carry the batteries in stock and sorted.

I Know it drags you down when motors aren't running right, like you I've spent near on a grand fixing mine in the last 6 months; Cambelt, Battery, Plugs, Oxygen Sensor, Window Motor, Cat Back exhaust, Ignition key, tyres, Servicing. Really pissed me off, and the thiing still needs rear pads and discs and a replacement steering wheel as it's now threadbare. Bear with it mate.

Last edited:
  Audi TT 225
Ive got a mate with an M3 beamer but I doubt he would come out and a mate down the road with a 2.0 alfa t-spark with battery and altinator problems LOL :banghead:

My street is full of unemployed chav skum bags so no big engines and no nice cars... bar mine
I dont talk to any of them because they're all bums that use my taxes to fund having more kids which then play around my car. :mad:

Think Im just gonna have to leave it till the morning and get the garage up the road to go sort it. The wifes gone off shopping so I cant go buy a battery for hours...

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Ring your mate with the beamer, offer to buy him a pint if he comes and helps. Then if it is the battery he can drive you to get a new one. The wife has gone shopping leaving your poor car stranded? :eek: No being nice to her in the bedroom later then! ;) lol

I gather you haven't got breakdown recovery either then. What a right bummer. I really feel for you mate.

RS Clio 172 Ph1
Any friends with a AA or RAC membership that could help you out? Even if worse case scenario that can't get it going at least they can tow you and tell you for sure what the fault is.

41 quid a year for AA is definately a must with these motors

Audi TT 225
Stupid thing is the shops not that far away from my house, about a 4-5 min walk.
The garage is just up the road so I dont want to get it towed back to the house when the garage could probably pop down and get it tomorrow.
But Ive had a brain wave Im gonna see if my mates got a booster pack or something maybe that will have the juice to start it??

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Any friends with a AA or RAC membership that could help you out? Even if worse case scenario that can't get it going at least they can tow you and tell you for sure what the fault is.

41 quid a year for AA is definately a must with these motors

Damn good point that. Phone up AA, join, then call them out. My Brother in law did that. Sorted. ;)

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Just tell your mate with the beamer, if he doesn't come out and give you a hand you are going to go and kick his lights in. Lmao

Audi TT 225
Ive got green flag cover free with my bank, never used it, yes think I will join the AA rather quick LOL

RS Clio 172 Ph1
Stupid thing is the shops not that far away from my house, about a 4-5 min walk.
The garage is just up the road so I dont want to get it towed back to the house when the garage could probably pop down and get it tomorrow.
But Ive had a brain wave Im gonna see if my mates got a booster pack or something maybe that will have the juice to start it??

Unless they are a very decent bunch the garage will charge you for towing, and looking at it. Get your mate to give you a lift to Halfords and grab yourself a Battery.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +

Unless they are a very decent bunch the garage will charge you for towing, and looking at it. Get your mate to give you a lift to Halfords and grab yourself a Battery.

Yep. If he's a decent mate he shouldn't mind coming out to help you. I'd come and help you myself if you weren't so far away.

Clio 172
Think your-self lucky mate.

I'd had mine half an hour and then the thing took a dislike to me and topped it-self.

Doctors are going to beging life saving surgery tomorrow and hopefully in a week I'll have it back, and it will be such a pleasure to hand over a few grand to the surgeons.

Cheers